Home Precious Metals
Options

How to get rid of white gold.......with diamonds in it.

PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
This is a bit off topic, but still slightly precious metals related. I have a womans ring lying around that I have no use for, and was wondering the best way to go about selling it off. I know NOTHING about diamonds or jewelry. Words can not express how little I know about how to figure out what this thing might be worth, and the best way for me to get rid of it.

I did not purchase this ring, so i don't even know what it cost retail.

Details: 14K white gold band, with a center stone that is (according to it's certificate) a 0.53 carat "light fancy yellow" that is emerald cut. I'm remembering this info from a certificate that came with the ring. The certificatie is from GIA. I didn't even know diamonds came in yellow. I wouldn't have known the thing was a diamond unless someone told me. Anyway, next to the yellow diamond are two tiny white diamonds.

What should I do with this thing?

Comments

• Options
    FistFullOfDollarsFistFullOfDollars Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    I have $50 in my paypal account I will give you for it...

Otherwise I would recommend selling it on the bay

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>I have $50 in my paypal account I will give you for it...

Otherwise I would recommend selling it on the bay >>

$50 for a .53 ct EMERALD (fancy) cut diamond? Come on...why even make such a sleezebag offer?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Take it to a trusted jeweler to give you a good appraisal or see if they want to purchase it. Sometimes they do a trade for some jewelry that you might want since it's certified. There's probably not enough gold in it to warrant selling it for scrap vs. what the diamonds are worth.

Or, eBay it if you don't want to bother running all over the place.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>Take it to a trusted jeweler to give you a good appraisal or see if they want to purchase it. Sometimes they do a trade for some jewelry that you might want since it's certified. There's probably not enough gold in it to warrant selling it for scrap vs. what the diamonds are worth.

Or, eBay it if you don't want to bother running all over the place.

-wes >>

Thats my problem - I don't have a "trusted jeweler." What would be the right way to sell a diamond ring on ebay? just take some pictures and throw it up at .99 no reserve? I can do that - but was curious if anyone knew some sort of rough ballpark that I should expect - or what I should use as a minimum bid.

I tried looking at some ended auctions and stuff, but wasn't having much luck finding stuff of the same basic size, color, etc.

Anyone on here have a trusted jeweler close to Orange County, California they could recomend?

• Options
    It might be helpful to know the size, weight, or perhaps a picture to help us determine what we're dealing with. I have a jeweler buddy I'll ask but I'm sure he needs more information to make an informed decision.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904
    eBay is not a good place to sell jewelery IMO. I gave away a few pieces a while ago.
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>eBay is not a good place to sell jewelery IMO. I gave away a few pieces a while ago. >>

I would agree with that. I sold a ring for a friend almost a year ago, and he got slaughtered. He got less than 25% of what it was worth.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options

<< <i>It might be helpful to know the size, weight, or perhaps a picture to help us determine what we're dealing with. I have a jeweler buddy I'll ask but I'm sure he needs more information to make an informed decision. >>

The size and weight of the two side diamonds I don't know, but I imagine they are small enough as to be almost worthless. The ring is only a few grams of gold, but like I said above the main diamond has a certificate that says it is

.53 Carats - "fancy light yellow" and "emerald" cut.

It said something on it about a clarity rating too, but I cant remember what that is. When I get home late tonight I will post a picture of the ring and the certificate, it would be AWESOME if you knew someone who could tell me how to get the most money out of it and/or what I could expect.

Thanks!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really the only way to get it's full or nearly full value is through a trusted jeweler. If you don't have one, find one. Ask your mother, sister, wife, girlfriend, female co-workers...one of them will will be able to recommend someone for you.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll PM you with the true value as soon as I get more details.

I've been a gemmologist since 1984.

Most important is making sure the diamond has a GIA certificate, rather than an appraisal from a GIA graduate. BIG difference.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>I'll PM you with the true value as soon as I get more details.

I've been a gemmologist since 1984.

Most important is making sure the diamond has a GIA certificate, rather than an appraisal from a GIA graduate. BIG difference. >>

THANKS! I'm home now and can post pictures, and i got a chance to view the certificate too. It IS a GIA certificate. It says it is a GIA colored diamond grading report. Below is the data (it also shows a little map of the diamond)

Shape and Cutting Style: Rectangular Modified Brilliant
    Measurements: 5.13 x 4.04 x 3.10 mm

Carat Weight: .53 Carats
    Color Origin: Natural
    Color Grade: Fancy Light Yellow
    Distribution: Even
    Clarity Grade: SI1

Polish: Good
    Symmetry: Good
    Flourescence: Faint

Comments: Additional clouds are not shown.

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What rings are really worth is a hard one, Jewerly has the biggest markup of any item I've ever seen.
    You pay 2000.00 for a ring you'd get lucky to get 500.00 back for same ring.
    Just put it on ebay with a reserve, or start your bidding at whatever you want.
    Just remember retail on Jewerly is Uber High and wholesale or after market is Uber low
  • Options
    FistFullOfDollarsFistFullOfDollars Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    $50 for a .53 ct EMERALD (fancy) cut diamond? Come on...why even make such a sleezebag offer?

Calm down gecko I was not twisting his arm, I knew he would not bite which is why I suggested ebay. I agree with smitty on jewelry has a very high retail mark up, I performed a 3 month research once on importing jewelry for resell and in the end decided it was not worth my effort as I could not compete with the big boys. I still have the website however it is basically a empty site. I would still suggest ebay, craigslist, pawn shop or a trading post.

I did perform a search on Bluenile to try an get an idea on the $ value but they did not have one in stock.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • Options

<< <i>What rings are really worth is a hard one, Jewerly has the biggest markup of any item I've ever seen.
    You pay 2000.00 for a ring you'd get lucky to get 500.00 back for same ring.
    Just put it on ebay with a reserve, or start your bidding at whatever you want.
    Just remember retail on Jewerly is Uber High and wholesale or after market is Uber low >>

I have a stereo system I paid $2000 for. When I sell it I should get a lot more than $500, right? I paid $2000 for a custom tailored Italian suit. I should be able to ebay it for much more than $500, right? How about that Thomas Kinkade picture my wife wanted? I should get all my money back when I resell that, right?

Jewelry actually retains more of its value than almost anything else, yet people constantly harp on it. Why is that?
  • Options
    As far as selling the ring, ebay is one of the worst. You will get extreme lowball offers and will open yourself up to a myriad of scam buyers who will try to give you a stolen credit card, fake money order, or paypal chargeback.

Selling the ring to a jeweler is like selling a car to a car dealer. Of course you are not going to get retail. You are just handing it off to let them do all the work to let them try to get retail. If you want to get full value for the ring, you will have to WORK for it and market and sell it yourself.
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Whomever you sell it to will get a pretty ring...

Too bad the stone is yellow.. IF it were a pink, I'd buy it !!
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a bit off topic, but still slightly precious metals related. I have a womans ring lying around that I have no use for, and was wondering the best way to go about selling it off. I know NOTHING about diamonds or jewelry. Words can not express how little I know about how to figure out what this thing might be worth, and the best way for me to get rid of it.

Details: 14K white gold band, with a center stone that is (according to it's certificate) a 0.53 carat "light fancy yellow" that is emerald cut. I'm remembering this info from a certificate that came with the ring. The certificatie is from GIA. I didn't even know diamonds came in yellow. I wouldn't have known the thing was a diamond unless someone told me. Anyway, next to the yellow diamond are two tiny white diamonds.

What should I do with this thing? >>

I can see you are troubled with this, I will send you $50 and help you out, just send it to me. image
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options

<< <i>This is a bit off topic, but still slightly precious metals related. I have a womans ring lying around that I have no use for, and was wondering the best way to go about selling it off. I know NOTHING about diamonds or jewelry. Words can not express how little I know about how to figure out what this thing might be worth, and the best way for me to get rid of it.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options

That is not a bad stone and ring. As others have said the gold is worth nothing, but 1/2 carat yellow slightly included has value. That ring should bring you a min of $800. There are alot of stores in Newport that could help you and some take stones on consignment and will sell it for you for a small commision. I would not put this on Ebay or you will get screwed. IMHO

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    I have some jewelers in Los Angeles I can recommend. Jewelers Ive featured on TV over the years -- and never got a complaint. And the best thing is you can shop all of them for the best offer.
  • Options

<< <i>

That is not a bad stone and ring. As others have said the gold is worth nothing, but 1/2 carat yellow slightly included has value. That ring should bring you a min of $800. There are alot of stores in Newport that could help you and some take stones on consignment and will sell it for you for a small commision. I would not put this on Ebay or you will get screwed. IMHO >>

KonaHead and MoneyLA -

I would love it if you guys could PM me some recommendations as to places in Newport (preferably) or LA to sell it to. I keep thinking about just storing it away for a rainy day, but then I will have the same problem all over again when I decide to sell later. I think I'd like to sell and then just buy silver and or gold with the cash, and put THAT away with the rest of my stash.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Eric