Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Yet another type B question!?

Even after looking at the many posts regarding the type B reverse I am still having some trouble distinguishing between an A and B. Is there one thing inparticular that I can look for that will be instantly distinctive between the 2 reverse types?
Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine

Comments

• Options
    The ES separation in STATES is greater
    The top of the M of UNUM brackets IB of PLURIBUS just above it.
    The leaf touching the arrowhead points now juts above them.
    The top and bottom arrowhead barbs are apparently missing (they are still there but overwhelmed by the field deeping there)
    The stem end is parallel to the T of Quarter rather than angling upward
    The leaf by A of DOLLAR is connected by a solid bridge. The leaf on "A" is very faint and does not connect.
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The ES separation in STATES is greater
    The top of the M of UNUM brackets IB of PLURIBUS just above it.
    The leaf touching the arrowhead points now juts above them.
    The top and bottom arrowhead barbs are apparently missing (they are still there but overwhelmed by the field deeping there)
    The stem end is parallel to the T of Quarter rather than angling upward
    The leaf by A of DOLLAR is connected by a solid bridge. The leaf on "A" is very faint and does not connect. >>

Thanks Again!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    The S and E in States is separated more than the Type A, also, the leaf at mid bottom left extends above the arrowtip, whereas the Type A does not. Overall, these have a distinctively different look, with a more pronounced reverse detail and higher relief. When you see a couple, you can pick 'em just by glancing at them, of course verifying via the diagnostics.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    There are some pictures and illustrations on page 152 of the 4th edition Vol II Cherrypickers' Guide which are pretty good.
    Too bad, they got them wrong later in the listings of each date.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    <<Even after looking at the many posts regarding the type B reverse I am still having some trouble distinguishing between an A and B. Is there one thing inparticular that I can look for that will be instantly distinctive between the 2 reverse types? >>

To the OP:

Regarding the 1956-1964 Type B, the advice given by Ken & Mark and Art is very sound, indeed!

Just study a Proof's Reverse and note how BOLD the vine is and it's "properties".

After studying Proof Reverses for a while there can be NO MISTAKING a Type B, especially with ALL that's been written above, by the aforementioned!

Good Luck & Happy hunting. image
  • Options
    Here! Look at this Reverse. I'll look to see if I have any others on file.

• Options
    THIS ONE (OOoops) is a little tougher!

• Options
    Pardon the horribly over-exposed shot but I wanted there to be NO DOUBT regarding separation between the E and S.

• Options
    Please excuse the interuption, but everytime I see this pair of pictures from CPG, I feel I should put in a disclaimer.

<< Comments: See the detailed comparsion pictures on page 152>>

Excellent advice since the first picture shown from 1958 (page 158 CPG 4th ed vol II) is a type C and not a type B. Page 152 has it right.
    Also type B was not used in 1936 and most 1968 S proofs are not type B.
  • Options
    Verified that ProofArtWorks is 100% correct however I have no other picture and have no CONECA book.

If and when I DO ever buy one`I'll take another, more accurate picture.

To the best of my knowledge, I believe the Type B were minted 1956 trough 1964.

I am referring to the Silver, PRE 1965 specimen ONLY!image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

On the above picture, the ES is correct but the Leaf/Arrowheads are a Type A and yes the CPG has it all screwed up!

Below is what I can eyeball pretty quickly in hand. A photograph can make that Type B Leaf above the Arrowhead a little difficult to see though.

The gap between E and S is a backup for when the leaf above the arrows is difficult to see.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Thanks for the pix, Lee.

Everyone can clearly see the differences in 19Lyds' pictures.

Note that there is no gap AND note the leaves under the perch.

See how very close they are to it (the perch)?
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spacing between the E and S of states is by far the easiest way to spot a type B reverse. At least in my opinion.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    <<On the above picture, the ES is correct but the Leaf/Arrowheads are a Type A>>

Sorry, Lee, your first illustration is Type C. Your second illustration is type A. I will comment some more later. It turns out this is a good area to determine if it is an A, B, C, or one of my clad M's. I just realized some of this last night.
  • Options
    In Lee's first illustration, originally from CPG, the leaves are sharper. I admit that is a tough judgement call if you are out in the field looking at just one coin.

However note the leaf beneath and just to the right of the arrowpoints is closer to the arrow shafts on this type C. It rises above the bottom of the arrow barb.

In Lee's second picture, The leaves, etc. are less distinct. The leaf underneath the bottom arrow barb does not reach the level of the barb.

I consider the (above barb level), (below barb level) a foolproof test for type C versus type A.

I think somebody on this forum has pointed out this leaf before, but I missed that difference in the levels connection.

It is not included in the picture, but the leaf just to the right and touching the last tail feather rises above the bottom of the tailfeather only on type C.

edited to add final period (.).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file