Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grading MS coins. Is more attention paid to the fields, or the devices?

Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
I always look for fields that are mark free. I prefer tics and bag marks on the devices, if they must be had (within reason, of course.) For a few years now I have been told from a local dealer that, when grading, a TPG will pay more attention to the devices and forgive more in the fields. I really don't know...but I have seen some high grade Morgans with bag marks a plenty in both areas. What is your take on the matter. What is more important...fields, or devices?

Comments

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say, given equivalent size hits, that more attention is paid to the devices.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's more a matter of what's going on in the prime focal areas, whether those be fields or devices.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Skyman. Order of priority seems to be the devices and then fields. Grading seems a little more forgiving when the same type of hit is in the fields.

Just check out the difference between most MS64-66 Morgans and you will see an immediate difference in the device quality.

Edited, Ok Dennis has a good point too, it kinda depends on the series and which ones have prime focal areas in the fields or devices.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prime focal areas; depends on the coin.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone got a quick example of a coin where the field is the prime focal area?
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with SkyMan and BECOKA that the TPGs pay more attention to the devices.

However, I prefer the fields to be clean and any ticks or marks be on the devices.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    The sum total of the parts = the grade!
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Anyone got a quick example of a coin where the field is the prime focal area? >>

The spanish trail commem comes to mind.
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    When the devices of the coin are almost as open as the fields the marks can be just distracting and destroy the eye appeal equally.
    The obverse of the Ike is a prime example of a design that doesn't hide even the smaller marks well.
    What concerns me is if the hits greatly detract from the prime focal area, whether those hits be inside or outside the prime focal area itself.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    my wag is i'd think devices bear a lil more attention as they are the common high points...i say common as incuse indians defy that

to make a general statement though...both attributes follow general eye appeal and skin of a coin

a coin may shine do to it's fields as with a coin may shine do to it's devices but a coin that doesn't shine...just doesn't shine

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Canadian coins, hands down it's fields.

With US coins, I believe it's devices.

Main reason is Canadian coins are struck with much less relief or 'depth'. Therefore the fields in Canadian coins aren't protected as much and are a better indicator of MS grade than the US coins.

I have a fantastic track record of buying raw Canadian coins and sending them to ICCS and getting the grade I expect.

My track record for doing this with US coins and sending them to the US TPG's needs much improvement because I believe I'm applying my 'Canadian grading ways' to US coins and the fit just isn't there.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it's more a matter of what's going on in the prime focal areas, whether those be fields or devices. >>

Agree. Bag marks on Ms Liberty's cheek are more visible than a same sized bag mark hidden in the eagle's wing feathers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file