Home Metal Detecting
Options

Sunday's outing at the old farm house

Hey everybody,

It's been quite a while since I've posted since I've been pretty busy lately, but I just thought that I would share my most recent outing at the old farm house that I have been hunting around for the past few years. Sunday was a nice warm spring day, so I decided to pay a visit to a friend of mine who is rennovating an older home for him and his future wife to move into once they are married. This home was built in the 1950s on the site of an earlier house that was destroyed by a tornado in 1957. I have had some luck detecting around this home in the past, finding a 1941 Mercury dime and a 1926 wheatie there a few years earlier, so I decided to bring my detector along with me since he doesn't mind me detecting there. After he showed me all of the improvements he had made, I decided to try my luck once again but alas, my luck was not with me as all I found was a piece of iron and some rifle shells. Seeing that this hunt was going nowhere fast, I decided to pay a visit to a much more interesting location which is located on my friend's father's property, an abandoned 1800s farm house. This farm house is the same one that I found an 1883 Indian head cent at on New Year's Day. The house itself is located in a clump of trees, briers and poison ivy and is only accessible during the winter, so today I would be limited to hunting the field surrounding the clump of trees. This is the area that yielded the Indian head cent, so I knew that the field had potential even though signals are few and far between. Here is a picture of the field and the farm house:
As you can see, the grass has grown pretty tall in the field, so my strategy was to look for places where hay bales used to sit, since no grass would be growing there. I was hoping that my friend's dad had moved some of his hay bales, and as it turned out I was in luck. Several of the hay bales were no longer there. I waded through the grass and started searching these bald spots, getting few signals when finally I received a good repeating signal that was in the zinc penny range, so I pinpointed my target, dug, and found this with my pinpointer.
I believe that this is an antique watch fob, I'm guessing from the late 1800s or early 1900s, but since I know nothing about watch fobs that is purely a guess. It is not made of silver, so I guess it was just a common man's piece, and it appears to be somewhat damaged. If you look closely, you can see what appears to be a castle tower on it with a smaller building to the right of that. There also appears to be a leafy design encircling the scene at the bottom. If anybody has any more insight into the potential age of this piece, I'd love to know about it. Well, I just thought you might enjoy hearing about my hunt, since things have been a little slow lately on the forum. Happy hunting to all.
Always on the lookout for a silver opportunity.
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Don't know about the fob, but it looks neat. It's a shame that area has so much growth. Happy hunting and thanks for the write up. I love reading about metal detecting adventures.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting find...try soaking it in olive oil or mineral oil... it might clean up nicely. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SilverDreamsSilverDreams Posts: 427 ✭✭
    Very cool find. I've always thought it would be neat to find a watch fob.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage