Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1917 buffalo nickel question?

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wonder what you think about the left rear leg of this buffalo, it has what appears to be some kind of clashing, or something there. What do ya think?
imageimage
The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Eye-brow clash maybe? Could also be a Forehead-clash, both are near each other in proximity and have similar size to what shows on the reverse.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just love the coin . . .I am not expert enough to tell why the clash is there . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    Hey CHD,

Pretty cool! I'm baffled by what this would be classified as. Other than the eyebrow clashing already mentioned. An extra bone? image Anyhow, hope you figure it out. Wish I could be of more help.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Assuming the reverse is not rotated it looks like it is clashed from just above the nose in front of the eye.

• Options

<< <i>Assuming the reverse is not rotated it looks like it is clashed from just above the nose in front of the eye.

image >>

Hey, That is very cool how you did that, it's a big help , thanks!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, That is very cool how you did that, it's a big help , thanks! >>

Indeed, saved for future reference
  • Options
    ALSO - In front of the bridge(?) bump of the Indians nose (below the "T" in Liberty) is the accompanying die clash from the area between the buffalo's two hind-legs - right where they meet. image Very cool ~
  • Options

<< <i>ALSO - In front of the bridge(?) bump of the Indians nose (below the "T" in Liberty) is the accompanying die clash from the area between the buffalo's two hind-legs - right where they meet. image Very cool ~ >>

Wow ! I never noticed that until you pointed it out, thanks and good observation!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>ALSO - In front of the bridge(?) bump of the Indians nose (below the "T" in Liberty) is the accompanying die clash from the area between the buffalo's two hind-legs - right where they meet. image Very cool ~ >>

Wow ! I never noticed that until you pointed it out, thanks and good observation!! >>

Faint die clash evidence also shows elsewhere - but not nearly as dramatic... Hair at Indian's temple shows up in area behind front left leg/ankle area.... Buffalo's back shows up below Indian's chin where the jaw meets the neck area... etc.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Hey, That is very cool how you did that, it's a big help , thanks! >>

Photoshop magic. image

Just flip the obverse image, copy it, paste it as a second layer on the reverse, make the new layer about 50% opaque and voila. image

Oh and draw a fuzzy black line around the area in question.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hey, That is very cool how you did that, it's a big help , thanks! >>

Photoshop magic. image

Just flip the obverse image, copy it, paste it as a second layer on the reverse, make the new layer about 50% opaque and voila. image

Oh and draw a fuzzy black line around the area in question. >>

Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate this tool you have offered. I feel it will be very useful in the future...image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file