Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade opinions on 1917 buffalo

Shoot me a grade. This is the most captivating coin I've ever owned in my possession and the first coin I've decided to be "strong hands" about which has now enticed me to the buffalo series. I pull this out for about 1/2 hour every day to just sit and stare at it. It truly looks 100x better than the photographs provided for grade advice. While it has a few technical flaws, the weak strike, and the hit obverse in the hair [horizontal line], when held in hand, it truly becomes almost animate and I'd say it's a 70 in the eye appeal department with booming luster, and perfect coloring. But that's just me.

So, again, presenting my favorite coin in my possession for forum grade evaluation...and thanks in advance for the future reading of comments/grade.

Comments

• Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    That is a terrific Buffalo. I will give it a go. I think that even with the flaws if the eye appeal is as you say I would guess MS66. I love guess the grades, even if I end up way off I learn something every time.
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    I'm going with 64.
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

<< <i>That is a terrific Buffalo. I will give it a go. I think that even with the flaws if the eye appeal is as you say I would guess MS66. I love guess the grades, even if I end up way off I learn something every time. >>

Guess the grades are fun and I too love them! And while I gear up for my submission, be it known that the person closest, or spot on the grade of this buffalo when she comes back will receive a cleaned but super dark toned over 1892 colexpo half dollar in issued bezel and 'envelope' flap carrier [told the bezel and envelope were issued with it at expo, and are old enough to justify this as truth].

Tie breaker will be sorted out by name in a hat, four year old kid drawing it out. Submission goes out next week for Regular service. Just FYI! So read and prosper. :-) Coming up on my 250 post count! So let's celebrate.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful buffalo!! I'll go with 64.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is indeed a captivating coin, primarily due to the booming luster and attractive toning. Is the flatness on the obverse (cheek and hair) due to the weak strike? The image needs to be a bit sharper, and I can't distinguish what might be abrasions from die wear. I see a small rim ding, a possible small mark on the hair and what appear to be minute marks on the obverse field. The reverse is pretty clean with some loss of detail due to die wear. I assume that the lines on the portrait are not abrasions, so technically I'd call it an MS-65, downgraded to MS-64 for the die wear and strike. Then, I'd bump it to an MS-64+ for eye appeal.

A nice coin! Congrats!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    65. Only because of the weakness of the strike.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how and if it pertains to all 1917's as a whole, but in a study that consisted of over 2000 1917-P Buffalo's, only 4% were deemed to have weak strikes. Based on those numbers and the appearance of the low spots in the fields, I would doubt this is a weak strike. That doesn't rule out worn dies however. To me it just looks like wear on the braid area on the obverse and hair on the foreleg of the buffalo. Killer eye appeal.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ms64
    Jerryf43
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Nice Buff. I'm gonna say, though, that PCSG puts this in a Genuine holder. I really don't have any real reason for saying so, I'm just in this for the Cal Expo half and I'm playing it like The Price is Right. My Genuine guess is the 1 dollar equivalent! imageimageimage
  • Options
    it would probably get placed into a 64 holder, but if you ever sell it you'll get more than 64 money! image
    For those that don't know, I am starting pharmacy school in the fall. image
  • Options
    Great guesses folks. The reason for me thinking this is a weak strike is due to the fact that I've seen a couple other in MS holders that displayed the very same flatness in the upper braid and lower hair area. I'm sorry the images aren't super sharp. But hey, keep playing. image Here's what the winner will receive [minus the envelope in the photo of course]:

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say weak strike or worn out dies? I would have to point out the hip bone looks kinda flat! The planchet looks just beautiful and pretty much hit free, and with the luster and color I can see why you like this coin so much, I like it also!
    With out able to tilt the coin in the light I can't grade it. But I will say that this is a coin with great eye appeal! Nice coin!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would have to point out the hip bone looks kinda flat! >>

That what I was thinking. Take away the color and eye appeal and you'd probably get a bunch of AU guesses.

Edited: Missed the give away part so I'll wag a market grade 62.
  • Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    AU58.
  • Options
    63 weak strike.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a year with most examples being very sharply struck, I feel this coin will grade as an AU55 by PCGS. The flatness of the horn and hip being highly indicative of my guess(and it is just that--my guess). A most beautiful and desireable coin nonetheless.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with MS-64 Very nice Buffalo. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Unusual coin. The wear to me is obvious on central obverse and buffalo's hip. At the same time it's a very clean specimen, with no nicks to speak of. The luster is a little flat; it may have been dipped at some point. I give it AU58 CAC.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I like it but have hard time telling degree of luster

big plus for eye appeal
    minus for weaker strike

MS63 in your generous give-away
  • Options
    Keep `em coming. I have compiled a list as of today. They go out in the post on Monday again for regular service. And it looks like if it's a 64, there's going to be a big drawing with only one name drawn. image

Weeeeeee! Happy Thursday.

Edit: Here's a couple photos with my camera setup. A cellular phone through a 5x loupe. I was trying to show the luster more than anything since somebody made a comment about it's flatness. There's no special lighting. Just under florescent lighting from the ceiling in a bedroom and a cheap camera phone and an even cheaper 5x loupe. It gives a better approximation as to what it looks like in hand than the previous photos used for grading. Enjoy.

• Options
    MS66
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    MS 65 thanks for the chance.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63CAC.
  • Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    very very nice looking coin
    MS-67.image
  • Options
    MS-63
  • Options
    Free wins.

I've spent a lot of time in varying degrees of light looking at this nickel. Last night I decided to take it out of it's flip and take one last glance before she goes out for regular service at pcgs for this giveaway. Well, that won't be necessary. I finally saw what I kept looking for. Plenty of hairlines underneath the toning. It will still go out, but via Regular service to get it in a genuine holder. Sadly disappointed in this discovery, but oh well. What is one to do?

Congratulations Free! Although it's not sitting slabbed. And I was hoping for one of those other MS =] grades. I'm not going to dilute myself with what otherwise would had been an extremely awesome coin. I'm disappointed. Oh well! It took sheesh, over 5 hours throughout my ownership to discern the hairlines. They are definitely all over the devices. The fields are completely free of these hairlines.

Ah well...
  • Options
    looks great, ut horrible wear- 62
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    It's either a 55 or a 64.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    seatedcoinsseatedcoins Posts: 1,096
    Are you absolutely positive? The color progression in the toning looks spot on. I hope he grades, I'll venture a MS60.
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a coin that looks a lot like this one on e-bay, is this one for sale right now?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file