Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Is any series c c c colder than Jefferson Nickels right now?

I've been trying to sell a number of tough dates from the 50's and 60's in ms66 and some very tough ms66 full step coins from the 71-98 era, and have run into quite a bit of difficulty. 2 years ago they would have jumped off the shelf! 76-d and 77-d for example I knew 3 people searching for back then. Now no one's buying. No reserve auctions on ebay are going hideously cheap. What's up? Clad dimes and quarters aren't too hot either.

Comments

• ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    LR, to answer your question, I don't know whats colder than the Jeffersons.

I will say this about my situation, and possibly that of others here......
    Back in the days, when I first started my registry set I bought lots of coins.
    Most were inexpensive, bought to fill in dates & increase my set ratings.

Then I started to buy some upgrades, but still keeping things reasonably priced.

Today, besides the economy (which does have a factor on what I spend), I find it nearly impossible to pull the trigger on an upgrade that costs a decent amount of $$ (for the series).
    Spending $200 for a nice Morgan upgrade would be easier than a $200 upgrade for a Jefferson.....or clad (anything).

Besides the money, the increase in the set ratings at this point is nearly imperceptible.

Just my take on it.

No reserve auctions on ebay are going hideously cheap.
    BTW, link to your eBay auctions? image
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Roosies, Ikes, and Merc's?
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone (Even Me) is burned out on the entire designation problem ie: FB, FS, FBL, FH, RD.

PCGS does not grade Clad Roosies the same.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think everyone (Even Me) is burned out on the entire designation problem ie: FB, FS, FBL, FH, RD.

PCGS does not grade Clad Roosies the same.

Later, Paul. >>

They seem to have trouble with FB on Mercury dimes, too.

I think a lot has to do with the economy. Even people who have it seem to be doing less buying.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with the general lull with Jeffersons right now. However, this may not extend into the various new Jefferson varieties added to the "Complete" Variety Sets. PCGS has yet to grade a 1963 TDR or a 1964-D RPM#5. There are several others where there are less than 5 and several more where there are no full steppers yet. It's been right at a year ago these were added and, I for one, thought we would see quite a few more coming out. I would think there are samples out there? I have not checked on the new proof variety pops? My guess is there would be some nice prices paid for some of these? Maybe we would generate a little spark to the series by surfacing some of these varieties? I've been hunting for these varieties as well as many others. It's getting me through this lull!
    Dowgie

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold all of my 1950-1964 Jefferson CAM and DCAM proofs at a good time in 2007. Trying to sell the same coins now I imagine would be much more difficult.
  • QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been hunting for these varieties as well as many others. It's getting me through this lull! >>

Yes, searching for varieties is fun. image

I just wish it was cheaper to get them certified.image
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    by chance are you selling a 1964 sms????????
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I still standby my thoughts a month ago on the initial subject.

As for varieties... as long as the CPG only lists a very small fraction of the total amount known... that helps ensure they won't end up in a PCGS holder anytime soon.

I'd still love a registry of all varieties of RPMs/DDO/DDR, etc. Now, that would be an extreme challenge.

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I remember not so many years ago when Heritage was hawking their Omaha Bank Hoard, they ahd over 1000 nickels listed in auction and Buy Now - today thy have 28 business strikes listed

I think the perceived lower grading standard for that large group affected the series
  • BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had a 1964 SMS for sale. The way I collect, if I had one for sale, that would mean I had more than one! What a nice thought, owning more than one of these!

Dowgie
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    hehehe...yeah that's one jeffery that's not in a cooler should i say

oneday...someday...i'll never have to ask no mores tooimage
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, i had what appeared to be a reasonable bid of $225 on a PCGS 69DC 1963 Jefferson in the just completed Heritage Auction, it closed at $400($460 with the juice) so my opinion is that as with all coins prices are weak to average for the generics and still strong for better dates.

a 1963 Jefferson in a PCGS 69DC grade is tougher than many realize with only 70 graded, and the number hasn't moved much in the past five years.
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>well, i had what appeared to be a reasonable bid of $225 on a PCGS 69DC 1963 Jefferson in the just completed Heritage Auction, it closed at $400($460 with the juice) so my opinion is that as with all coins prices are weak to average for the generics and still strong for better dates.

a 1963 Jefferson in a PCGS 69DC grade is tougher than many realize with only 70 graded, and the number hasn't moved much in the past five years. >>

Older thread

Now 75/1
    The 1963 still hasn't changed much, but somebody did make a PR70DCAM.