Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

No one loves numismatic titillation more than Longacre, but I probably won’t spend [$250] on the new

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
**Updated to the original 2009 thread. See subsequent correspondence below regarding the reduction in price to only $250. Perhaps Karl had Dentuck pull some strings on his behalf with a Chinese printer.]***

I was taking a read through the latest issue of Esylum, and I saw that there is a new, tell-all book about John J. Ford coming out this fall by Karl Moulton. I posted the announcement below for reference.

Now don’t get me wrong—no one loves numismatic titillation more than Longacre, but the price for this book, $395, seems a little steep. I doubt that Moulton has the global supply chain and economies of scale of say, Whitman Publishing, but the book sounds expensive. The excerpt below indicates that the book was 20 years in the making, so if you think about it, that is only a benefit of $19.75 per year to the author for his time, so maybe the cost is actually pretty reasonable.

I might wait until the book is available at my library and borrow a copy before I decide to purchase it for my personal collection, but I was wondering if anyone here is going to buy it. The topic sounds interesting, especially if it is truly a numismatic tell-all, which are sometimes the best kind of books.

Here is the excerpt:

“NEW BOOK: JOHN J. FORD, JR. AND THE FRANKLIN HOARD
Karl Moulton forwarded this press release about his upcoming book, John J. Ford, Jr. and the Franklin Hoard –Editor

Over 20 years of research went into piecing together the real story of how John Ford marketed numerous Pioneer and Territorial pieces that were reportedly discovered by Paul Franklin in the 1950s. Other Franklin Hoard items that have been marketed in the past 60 years are examined in detail in an attempt to validate authenticity from t he 19th century, as has been claimed.

John Ford was intelligent and ambitious. He told many stories, and the people loved them. Trouble is, there were different versions of the same story told at different times. Was he a counterfeiter? No. Was he duped by Paul Franklin? No. Was he an honest authenticator? No.

Previous commendable attempts to uncover the reality of Fords numismatic activities have been only partly successful and correct. There were never any source materials available to help validate what was done regarding the Franklin Hoard. Now there are. This work includes copies of nearly 200 personal letters from Ford during the 1950s when the first group of Franklin Hoard material was being sold. Additional Franklin Hoard developments are chronicled through 2008.

Other bits and pieces from numerous, little known sources were compiled from public records to present this reality research about Ford from when he first became interested in numismatics as a teen-ager in the 1930s until his death in 2005.

John J. Ford, Jr., was the most controversial figure ever to appear in American numismatics. His collection, when sold by Stacks, realized over $55 million. This unbiased account explains in detail that which you never knew about Ford. It is truly a fascinating story!

Until now, the Franklin Hoard story always stopped with Paul Gerow Franklin. Until now, the all important identification of Franklins sources has never been presented. Until now, the material that makes up the Franklin Hoard (1952-1981) has never been defined and/or listed as such.

This book is not for everyone; but, if you ever wanted to know more about John J. Ford, Jr. or the Franklin Hoard, this book is the one you should have.

250 numbered copies will be printed and sold by subscription only. It will be available in the fall of 2009 at a price of $395 ppd.

For orders or inqu iries, please contact: numiscats@aol.com
Karl Moulton, PO Box 1073, Congress, AZ 85332”
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I could convince my favorite dealer to buy it for me as a gift! image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You said "titillation". image
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does sound interesting but for me, a mere plebeian in the numismatic world, 395.00 is too much for a book that I will read cover to cover once and then possibly reference it once in a while. Still, I would like to read it...hopefully the ANA will end up with a copy or two I can borrow from the library.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The book sounds absolutely fascinating. However it seems as if Mr. Moulton is charging as if he expects law suits to follow and so everyone who buys a book pays for one hour of his attorney's time. image
    I think I will get on the list to borrow the ANA's copy.
    Mark

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a novel (pun) give-away!

Please enter me in it Mr. Longacre!image
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    You can always wait for the official RYK review before you shell out the money image
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The book sounds absolutely fascinating. However it seems as if Mr. Moulton is charging as if he expects law suits to follow and so everyone who buys a book pays for one hour of his attorney's time. image
    I think I will get on the list to borrow the ANA's copy. >>

If I remember correctly, you can't defame a dead person.

If someone owns a controversial coin or ingot associated with Ford, the price of the book is trivial. I would love to read the book; however, I also won't drop $395 on it.
  • Options

<< <i>You can always wait for the official RYK review before you shell out the money image >>

Who is this RYK guy that you speak of? He doesn't seem to post anymore around here. image
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Saving up for the Comitia Americana book?...glad to hear that...

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish Karl the best but the price is indeed steep. Also, it's not yet clear what the binding is - cloth, leather, uber-deluxe full calf or ??

Hopefully FirstMint will be along shortly to clarify. Perhaps if some commemorative Havanas personally wrapped and signed by QDB could be included in the presentation we may yet convince Longacre to get a copy.

Previously MrEureka indicated he would buy a copy. Any other takers out there?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense to me. Obviously the book is targeted at the few dozen hard core 'just have to have it at any price' Ford afficianados.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if there are more than a few dozen individuals who are willing to pay $395 for a book on this subject?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Seems to me that the market could absorb 2500 copies of this book, so what not price it at $49.95 and make more money and allow for greater readership?
    Andy
  • Options

<< <i>Seems to me that the market could absorb 2500 copies of this book, so what not price it at $49.95 and make more money and allow for greater readership? >>

$395 x 2500 = $987,500. I think Mr. Moulton would be happy with that amount of scratch if there are truly 2500 potential sales. image
  • Options
    I don't think there would be a market of 2500 if the book were priced at $395.00, only if it were priced at about $50.
    Andy
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> I might wait until the book is available at my library and borrow a copy

Your local library will be getting a copy? image

> Who is this RYK guy that you speak of? He doesn't seem to post anymore around here

Does this indicate you don't get your hands dirty visiting the BST forum? image
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    The book will be low mintage, surely some smart people will buy a few dozen copies each to profit on the flipping.image

The only book i would every pay 395 dollars for does not exist nor do i expect to anytime soon. I am still working on the top 100 books of all time bound in leather with gilded edge as offered on TV. If you act now you can still get huckleberry Finn for the low interductory price of 5.95 plus a small handling charge. Other books will follow....image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    It's always interesting to see an individual referred to in the first person and the third person in the same sentence, as the thread title indicates... image
  • Options
    <<<No one loves numismatic titillation more than Longacre,>>>

People who refer to themselves in the the third person are known as illeists and it is viewed by psychologists as a symptom of narcissism and some even go so far as to view it as a sign of mental illness. Just thought you would like to know how others view it.

From Richard J. Shueler:

3. A person that refers to himself in the third person is thiking of how you perceive him. He’s looking at himself, while you’re looking at him, so that he can modify how he appears to you to get the best result he wants from you. A person that is so self absorbed and focused on himself that he actually sees the “him” he’s created as separate from himself so much to cease using the word “I”, is too busy trying to invent himself to “BE” himself. Hence, people that refer to themselves in the 3rd person (and aren’t mentally ill or challanged), should earn some of the same caution that people with shifty eyes earn. It’s abnormal behavior, and probably a lucky view into the mind of someone who got where they are by being quite manipulative.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<<No one loves numismatic titillation more than Longacre,>>>

People who refer to themselves in the the third person are known as illeists and it is viewed by psychologists as a symptom of narcissism and some even go so far as to view it as a sign of mental illness. Just thought you would like to know how others view it.

From Richard J. Shueler:

3. A person that refers to himself in the third person is thiking of how you perceive him. He’s looking at himself, while you’re looking at him, so that he can modify how he appears to you to get the best result he wants from you. A person that is so self absorbed and focused on himself that he actually sees the “him” he’s created as separate from himself so much to cease using the word “I”, is too busy trying to invent himself to “BE” himself. Hence, people that refer to themselves in the 3rd person (and aren’t mentally ill or challanged), should earn some of the same caution that people with shifty eyes earn. It’s abnormal behavior, and probably a lucky view into the mind of someone who got where they are by being quite manipulative. >>

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it will be available for loan to ANA members from the ANA library. It may be a good read but it won't exactly be a frequently consulted reference book that you need in your personal library.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<<No one loves numismatic titillation more than Longacre,>>>

From Richard J. Shueler:

3. A person that refers to himself in the third person is thiking of how you perceive him. He’s looking at himself, while you’re looking at him, so that he can modify how he appears to you to get the best result he wants from you. A person that is so self absorbed and focused on himself that he actually sees the “him” he’s created as separate from himself so much to cease using the word “I”, is too busy trying to invent himself to “BE” himself. Hence, people that refer to themselves in the 3rd person (and aren’t mentally ill or challanged), should earn some of the same caution that people with shifty eyes earn. It’s abnormal behavior, and probably a lucky view into the mind of someone who got where they are by being quite manipulative. >>

PerryHall agrees with you.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    <<<PerryHall agrees with you.>>>

ROFLMAO
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Bo knows baseball.

• Options

<< <i>
    A person that refers to himself in the third person is thiking of how you perceive him. He’s looking at himself, while you’re looking at him, so that he can modify how he appears to you to get the best result he wants from you. A person that is so self absorbed and focused on himself that he actually sees the “him” he’s created as separate from himself so much to cease using the word “I”, is too busy trying to invent himself to “BE” himself. Hence, people that refer to themselves in the 3rd person (and aren’t mentally ill or challanged), should earn some of the same caution that people with shifty eyes earn. It’s abnormal behavior, and probably a lucky view into the mind of someone who got where they are by being quite manipulative. >>

>>

I think you are taking this way too seriously. Coinosaurus believes that Longacre doesn't write his business or personal communication that way, he just does it here on the boards for "effect" in order to play to the character he has created. Also, as Longacre has previously explained, he scored very high on the Meyers-Briggs empathy component, which means he is naturally predisposed to looking at people, including himself, from different points of view.

What this has to do with the John Ford book Coinosaurus is not sure, but perhaps someone can steer us back to the OT.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I would hope this book is leather bound (or gold bound for that matter.) I wonder if he will offer a second, open edition version after the numbered edtion is gone. If it were me, I would offer another, less expensive one at around $75 each. In the end he would make more money if he sold it for less.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    All I know is BECOKA will not be purchasing this book. Me thinks $7.95 is a better price.
  • Options
    250 not 2,500--a mere 98,750.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    A person that refers to himself in the third person is thiking of how you perceive him. He’s looking at himself, while you’re looking at him, so that he can modify how he appears to you to get the best result he wants from you. A person that is so self absorbed and focused on himself that he actually sees the “him” he’s created as separate from himself so much to cease using the word “I”, is too busy trying to invent himself to “BE” himself. Hence, people that refer to themselves in the 3rd person (and aren’t mentally ill or challanged), should earn some of the same caution that people with shifty eyes earn. It’s abnormal behavior, and probably a lucky view into the mind of someone who got where they are by being quite manipulative. >>

>>

I think you are taking this way too seriously. Coinosaurus believes that Longacre doesn't write his business or personal communication that way, he just does it here on the boards for "effect" in order to play to the character he has created. Also, as Longacre has previously explained, he scored very high on the Meyers-Briggs empathy component, which means he is naturally predisposed to looking at people, including himself, from different points of view.

What this has to do with the John Ford book Coinosaurus is not sure, but perhaps someone can steer us back to the OT. >>

Man, this place cracks me up. image

The distinguished Coinosaurus is completely correct in his assessment. image
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Longacre carefully ground his Macanudo cigar into the hand-burnished marble ashtray at his side. He plucked a bit of lint (actually a flake of Continental Currency that had crumbled whilst he used it as a bookmark in QDB's Expert's Guide to Numismatic Literature) from his smoking jacket.

"Consuelo," Longacre addressed the man who stood in the doorway, "how long has your family been in Longacre's employ?"

Consuelo paused to calculate. "Since 1978, so that would be 31 years, Sir. Since you were just knee-high to a dormouse."

Longacre rubbed his temple. "And how long have you, personally, been selecting the cigars for my evening repast?"

"At least twenty years, Sir."

"Consuelo, take a look at this cigar. What would you judge the ring gauge to be?"

Consuelo examined it. "It appears to be a 42, Sir. A lonsdale, as requested. Six and one half inches in length, forty-two sixty-fourths of an inch in diameter, as I live and breathe, Sir."

Longacre held the cigar up in the light. "It is not a 42. This is a 41 or my name is not Longacre."

Consuelo trembled but did not remove himself from the room, despite his consternation.

Longacre threw the cigar down on the hand-burnished marble floor. "There will be no reading for me tonight. I cannot enjoy numismatic literature without the proper accompaniments. Think about what you've done, Consuelo. Think about what you've done."

He hauled himself out of the plush, overstuffed chair and strode out of the study in a swirl of smoking jacket and pique.

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Don't you have a picture to complement that prose? image
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    We should all pitch in and buy one copy and have it go on a trip to each person on these boards...

By the way, it is spelt: "illeists".
    Tom

• Options
    <<<By the way, it is spelt: "illeists". >>>

You better have your vision checked, that is how I spelt it. Note: spelt is the pp (past participle) of spell and the correct word in your case would have been .... spelled.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one loves numismatic titillation more than Longacre

TMI image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>Longacre carefully ground his Macanudo cigar into the hand-burnished marble ashtray at his side. He plucked a bit of lint (actually a flake of Continental Currency that had crumbled whilst he used it as a bookmark in QDB's Expert's Guide to Numismatic Literature) from his smoking jacket.

"Consuelo," Longacre addressed the man who stood in the doorway, "how long has your family been in Longacre's employ?"

Consuelo paused to calculate. "Since 1978, so that would be 31 years, Sir. Since you were just knee-high to a dormouse."

Longacre rubbed his temple. "And how long have you, personally, been selecting the cigars for my evening repast?"

"Consuelo, take a look at this cigar. What would you judge the ring gauge to be?"

Consuelo examined it. "It appears to be a 42, Sir. A lonsdale, as requested. Six and one half inches in length, forty-two sixty-fourths of an inch in diameter, as I live and breathe, Sir."

Longacre held the cigar up in the light. "It is not a 42. This is a 41 or my name is not Longacre."

Consuelo trembled but did not remove himself from the room, despite his consternation.

Longacre threw the cigar down on the hand-burnished marble floor. "There will be no reading for me tonight. I cannot enjoy numismatic literature without the proper accompaniments. Think about what you've done, Consuelo. Think about what you've done."

He hauled himself out of the plush, overstuffed chair and strode out of the study in a swirl of smoking jacket and pique. >>

It was a 42, until Longacre's librarian (and chief curator) cut it down to a 41 (behind Consuelo's back, mind you) in order to use the excess to replace the score marks in all of Longacre's Whitman books, which it seems Dentuck had personally removed (prior to delivery) as a practical joke.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i will just wait until a forum member scans it to pdf and slaps it up
    on a website. image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about the book...but I do know that between Dentuck, Coinosaurus, and GFourDriver, there's some funny stuff in this thread! image
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> i will just wait until a forum member scans it to pdf and slaps it up

Maybe Mr. Longacre could direct Amazon to put it on the Kindle?

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $395 isn't bad for a nice binding, but I'll probably wait to see if it holds up in the aftermarket. Speaking of holding up, I'm waiting to see how the shelf life of Chinese "leather" compares. It'll be interesting if leather bound red-books dissolve in 10 years.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>Longacre carefully ground his Macanudo cigar into the hand-burnished marble ashtray at his side. He plucked a bit of lint (actually a flake of Continental Currency that had crumbled whilst he used it as a bookmark in QDB's Expert's Guide to Numismatic Literature) from his smoking jacket.

He hauled himself out of the plush, overstuffed chair and strode out of the study in a swirl of smoking jacket and pique. >>

image You should write for a living. image
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    You guys certainly make a great opening act - I was traveling for most of the day and can finally offer some thoughts, but first a few questions.

How many coin buyers are there today? Perhaps a million? How many researchers and authors of numismatics are there today? Perhaps a hundred? How much of the information available today has been copied from past research? Most?

How many collectors (aka:buyers) are interested in the field of western numismatics and the gold and silver issues? How many want to learn about John J. Ford, Jr. or the "Franklin Hoard"? The answers to these last two questions is probably very few.

I attended the "Great Debate" at Chicago in 1999. There were probably 250 people in the crowded room. That's where the number of copies for the Ford book came from. It won't be a best seller, or elitest, or even a classic. What it will be is a revealing insight into one coin dealer's activites and his influence in the hobby of American numismatics.

Sure, the information on the internet is free. Keep in mind that it is relatively new (last 20 years) and merely copied from past sources, which may or may not be accurate or complete.

There have not been any source materials presented, until now. When these copies of Ford's letters were sold in 2005, they brought over 5 figures, and there were two buyers at those levels - just for his correspondence. That's how important documents can be. In this case, they are valuable insights.

What value do those involved in buying Pioneer and Territorial items place on knowledge about forgeries? There are numerous Pioneer pieces from numerous numismatic (and non-numismatic) sources that are simply no good. If you have any interest at all about acquiring objects in this area, you better learn as much as you possibly can, because you will be spending a lot of money, and hopefully, you won't discover that your purchase was a modern creation.

Now, regarding authors and others who do numismatic research, apparently, authors are relegated to "a labor of love" and looked down upon if they try to receive compensation, or even a modicum of respect. Forum members can read about the recent departure of Roger Burdette because of others (with a very limited amount of knowledge) thinking they know it all already.

This brings to mind a comment made by John Adams at the 2007 Numismatic Bibliomania Society meeting in Milwaukee. When asked about the three figure price tag on his excellent "Comitia Americana" medals book, he replied, "Well, I could sell you one at cost!" which was far more than the asking price. The publisher, George F Kolbe knew the value of what was inside the book and made a limited production, deluxe edition, which was available for $2,000.

We are fortunate today that the original subscribers (1873-1875) to Sylvester Crosby's work "Early American Coins" had the interest and
    conviction to support numismatic research. Today, bound copies of Crosby regularly sell for 4 figures.

It's way past time that authors should receive proper acknowledgement and compensation for what they do. The notion that information has to be in the form of a "cheap" book is nothing more than "bourse floor mentality". There are very few other fields where this is a regular occurance. So I say, keep the cheapness where it belongs.

If price is the major consideration on purchasing any coin book, like it is with coin buying, then future scholarship may dissolve to a point where very little of value gets presented. Think about that sometime when you are buying a coin from a dealer after he outbid everyone at auction, paid a buyers fee, and is still making a profit when he sells it to you. Coin dealers do not sell anything as "a labor of love".

Enough of the tirade. I will end with this: If you don't wish to purchase a book about John Ford & the "Franklin Hoard" then simply don't do it. As was brought out, it isn't a book for everyone. But, you probably shouldn't be buying any western gold or silver pieces either. You certainly won't find much that's authentic for $395.

edited - I just received my deluxe copy of The Fantastic 1804 Dollar, Tribute Edition and saw an advertisement in the back for a copy of J.V. Dexter's 1804 dollar that is shown by a single page artist drawing from 1887 that has been reproduced in color. Maybe many coin buyers will want one of the 1,804 copies made for $195. Of course, this "Collector's Edition" comes with a COA.

Tom, the Ford sales of recent vintage were the sole responsibility of Stack's. Any questions about any missing Ford items should be directed to them.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will buy the book if it gives the true story about what happened to the "Western Assay Bars" in the Ford Collection that never made it to an auction catalogue.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I dont know much about the book you are talking about but did you refer to yourself in first person on your thread titleimage
  • Options
    UPDATE--

I see in the latest issue of Esylum that the new John Ford book has now hit the bookstores.

I am happy to report that the book's price has been updated, and it is now priced for the masses.

Has anyone purchased this book or read an advance copy?

NEW BOOK: JOHN J. FORD, JR. AND THE "FRANKLIN HOARD"
    Karl Moulton forwarded the following information about his upcoming book on John Ford and the Franklin Hoard. I've added a related note from Tom DeLorey. -Editor

• A comprehensive background on Western gold items and gold rushes
    • The Father Kino "Silver Trade Bar" story
    • An extensive accounting of bars and ingots known before 1950
    • Hundreds of John J. Ford's personal letters and invoices from the 1950s and 1960s
    • The names of assayers that were in contact with Gerow Paul Franklin, the "Hoard's" namesake, along with sources in Phoenix and elsewhere
    • The "Franklin Hoard" material will be listed for the first time
    • Images of previously unknown gold and silver bars and coins that make up the "Franklin Hoard", most are in color
    • The 1966-1968 P.N.G. arbitration proceedings on counterfeit $20 U.S.A.O.G. coins
    • Walter Breen & Don Taxay's involvement
    • The Josiah K. Lilly gold collection "donated" to the Smithsonian Institution
    • The J.K. Llly appraisal -- first time ever in print
    • Background on gold bars including Parsons, Weigand, Kohler, Eagle, Thorne, Star, FG Hoard, Knight & Co., along with the so-called S.S. Brother Jonathan bars
    • The "Great Debate" of 1999 between Michael Hodder and Ted Buttrey
    Counterfeits were made. Were Ford and Franklin forgers? Find the answer and more in John J. Ford and the "Franklin Hoard". The 700page book will ship around the end of the year. Limited to 250 copies.

Pre-Publication Price $250
    Regular Price after October 15, $295

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    I ordered an advance copy maybe 2 years ago. Can't wait to read it!

BTW Longacre -- you might want to edit the titile of this 2 year old thread to something like:

"No one loves numismatic titillation more than Longacre, but I probably won’t spend $395 on the new John Ford book. UPDATE -- Price lowered to $250"
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ordered an advance copy maybe 2 years ago. Can't wait to read it!

BTW Longacre -- you might want to edit the titile of this 2 year old thread to something like:

"No one loves numismatic titillation more than Longacre, but I probably won’t spend $395 on the new John Ford book. UPDATE -- Price lowered to $250" >>

Or maybe "At $250 in stead of $395, Longacre can now afford the new John Ford book if he sells some dark-side bullion."

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    Or perhaps this:

"At $250 instead of $395, Longacre can now afford the new John Ford book if he skips one snifter of 100 year old brandy."
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or perhaps this:

"At $250 instead of $395, Longacre can now afford the new John Ford book if he skips one snifter of 100 year old brandy." >>

Or cuts back on his plan to corner the Panda market.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"At $250 instead of $395, Longacre can now afford the new John Ford book if he skips one snifter of 100 year old brandy." >>

What sort of hell do you propose confining him to that he can have either the Ford book or a snifter of of brandy, but is doomed for all time never to enjoy the two together? Sounds like the punishment meted out to the character from Greek mythology, Longakres (pronounced 'LONG-a-,kreez), who once crashed a party given by Hermes and Dionysus in pursuit of the secrets of cultured sophistication that would be the envy of all of Greece.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago there was a two volume set of books that covered every presidential campaign with pictures from George Washington to the 1992 Clinton campaign. The texts were written by an array of university professors, and the items pictured were from a major well known collection. The price was something like $250 or $300 for the two volumes, and you had to pre-order it. When I was at a political button show they were taking orders but they won’t even take a sample of the books out of the shrink wrap so you examine the books. I passed.

A couple years later I found the same books in a consignment antique store for $20 apiece. They were worth that and I bought them. Of course I didn’t get the slipcase that went with them, but I could live with that. image

From the stores I've heard from dealers and collectors about Mr. Ford, he was the kind of fellow you could not trust implicitly; you had to watch your step. A tell-all book about him might not enhance his reputation, but the history of the fabulous pieces he had, (still has in the estate from what I’ve heard) would make for wonderful reading if it were well researched.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file