Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WILL NUMISMATIC AUCTIONS BE THE NEW DR. KEVORKIAN FOR THE AVERAGE COLLECTOR ?

Take for example a professional who has lost considerable money in the stock market,he is also a coin collector. He decides he shall put his Numismatic holdings up for auction UNRESERVED
because the auction company tells him that is the best way to sell his collection. In this market he is sure to get Hammered. I would be willing to bet the average collector would only get 30 to 60% of his investment. Do you think this is a formula for possible suicide ?

Stewart Blay

Comments

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    It all depends on the type of coins and their condition.

Rare coins, in condition census,with high demand among

a few whales will do well. Less desirable coins, in lower

condition, may not do so well.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Where are these coins? I am still being outbid by others at Heritage when I place bids using the past auction results as a fair price.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Take for example a professional who has lost considerable money in the stock market,he is also a coin collector. He decides he shall put his Numismatic holdings up for auction UNRESERVED
    because the auction company tells him that is the best way to sell his collection. In this market he is sure to get Hammered. I would be willing to bet the average collector would only get 30 to 60% of his investment. Do you think this is a formula for possible suicide ?

Stewart Blay >>

Perhaps we will find out the answer to this excellent and timely question very soon. Very, very soon.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    BEAR -The whales are dying !

Stewart
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i must of misread your title there stewart...the average collector image

average collector's are far from swimming and eating with whalesimage

hehehe

now salmon or grunion runs...yeahimage

something tells me we'll just swim around beached whales and feed like alwaysimage

"Do you think this is a formula for possible suicide ? "
    i more so think it would leave a sour taste to re-entering the future of coin collecting after eating those %'s

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    If it's decent material I don't see how thye will get hurt. I'm only a guppy in the collecting world but have seen no price decreases amount the things I collect. In US coins that would be classic commems usually selling in the $400-700 range, and they still seem to be going for that in auctions. I am guessing the World coins I collect have gone up 10-20% this year, I am often outbid, even when bidding 2-3 times book price. The one or two relative bargains I have gotten seem to have been just because of the venue, timing, poor decriptions/photos etc., and nothing to do with the market being weak.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Take for example a professional who has lost considerable money in the stock market,he is also a coin collector. He decides he shall put his Numismatic holdings up for auction UNRESERVED

Stewart Blay >>

Dumb people do dumb things. This could be the numismatic version of the Darwin Awards.
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588

because the auction company tells him that is the best way to sell his collection. In this market he is sure to get Hammered. I would be willing to bet the average collector would only get 30 to 60% of his investment. Do you think this is a formula for possible suicide ? >>

Ignorant people and stupid people commit financial suicide on a daily basis. So, why should coin collecting be any different? Your scenario takes aim at those two types of people - not the "average collector". Unless your point is in fact that the average collector is either poorly educated or stupid. Further, people can be quite well informed and quite well educated and still need to dump holdings in order to bring some liquidity back into their domain. This is neither stupid nor ignorant - particularly if you believe the market has a good deal more "adjusting" to go through.

Finally, as others have pointed out, strong coins still demand strong money.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He needs to get his ears checked if he believes the auction company knows what's best for him.
    The auction company is after our coin and if it isn't rare, they care even less. It's about money, not coins.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

because the auction company tells him that is the best way to sell his collection. In this market he is sure to get Hammered. I would be willing to bet the average collector would only get 30 to 60% of his investment. Do you think this is a formula for possible suicide ? >>

if you mean numismatic suicide, i sure hope so. we need less deep pocket runing around the bourse

K S
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how he would do.

I don't have a good "feel" for the coin market at the moment because I haven't been active in buying or selling for some time.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Stewart Blay >>

Perhaps we will find out the answer to this excellent and timely question very soon. Very, very soon. >>

Indeed. And I'd like to think that we will have a lot more clarity into the current market "very, very soon," but when I have thought this before the past few sales I just end up more confused afterwards. The interesting thing about this sale is all the unreserved mega-coins, which is something we haven't seen for awhile. Well, we will know more by the weekend.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my initial look at the Heritage prices for the big collection at CSNS shocked me at how high they are already.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

If this starts happening to exceptional, PQ coins for the grade with unusually strong eye appeal, then I'd think the bottom has fallen out. Until then, the market is just adjusting to the rush to dump average, run-of-the-mill schlock (dare I say "widgets") at whatever cost necessary.

I haven't seen much indication that the best stuff with the strongest eye appeal is falling much. In fact, they may be getting stronger as many of the stronger hands who don't need to sell won't do so in this market, reducing the supply of top quality.
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff will still get good prices. Marginal stuff (modern commems, proofsets, mint sets) will get slammed. At least that is my experience.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BEAR -The whales are dying !

Stewart >>

That is an excellent point.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He needs to get his ears checked if he believes the auction company knows what's best for him.
    The auction company is after our coin and if it isn't rare, they care even less. It's about money, not coins. >>

ditto that!!
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    There are two half dollars which he purchased against very strong reserves. He will take a bath on both unless he has a pro shill watching from behind the potted palm. Who was it who warned against noobs going it alone at auction?
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Stewart.

We have already seen this phenom in a few recent sales, and the results are mixed. For the big boys who are recent entries into the high finance of rare coins, and have acquired their collection in the last 3 boom years, there will be some pretty good losses.

But, for the longer holding periods, with nice "right" coins, I see very reasonable prices obtained at the larger venues. Reserved or not.

There is still a higher demand than supply for the rare original toned denominations.

Would I sell expensive coins in this market unreserved? Probably not, if they are slabbed by TPG's other than PCGS.

TahoeDale
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    I'm not a "whale" but you could probably put me in that group. Perhaps someone who was leveraged pretty heavily could be in a position that he had to unload some of his collection to stay above water, but in my case the money I lost in the market has made me decide to buy more coins, I figure I can't get hurt any more than I did and at least I can enjoy my collection!
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He needs to get his ears checked if he believes the auction company knows what's best for him. The auction company is after our coin and if it isn't rare, they care even less. It's about money, not coins.

Double ditto...the Auction Companies have to have material to auction to stay in business. Their revenue might be down with lower hammer prices but they still need income coming through the door and it doesn't really matter in the end if the collector or whomever made a profit on the items or not.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I for one hope that the bidding tomorrow on a couple of lots stays low image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If this starts happening to exceptional, PQ coins for the grade with unusually strong eye appeal, then I'd think the bottom has fallen out. Until then, the market is just adjusting to the rush to dump average, run-of-the-mill schlock (dare I say "widgets") at whatever cost necessary.

I haven't seen much indication that the best stuff with the strongest eye appeal is falling much. In fact, they may be getting stronger as many of the stronger hands who don't need to sell won't do so in this market, reducing the supply of top quality. >>

• Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    That scenario could unfold if that person did certain things, such as:
    * paying full retail for average to below average coins
    * buying coins hawked by "investment advisors"
    * never did learn to grade
    * never did develop relationships with dealers, instead buying from a single source, sometimes at well above market prices for the quality of the material

If the true auction prices are going to be that low, wouldn't most dealer offers be a cut lower than that? If that is the case, I would posit that the money is already lost because the coins were bought wrong. And if the owner can not find a "greater fool," to pay full retail for his average or below average coins, the music has stopped and he/she doesn't have a chair to sit on.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are trying to make a statement that selling coins unreserved at auction is, per se, a bad idea, then I completely disagree.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i>If this starts happening to exceptional, PQ coins for the grade with unusually strong eye appeal, then I'd think the bottom has fallen out. >>

Dealer blogs like Laura Sperber’s and Doug Winter’s report that prices of even quality material are off 20% from last year. But 20% is based on retail prices and understates the decline since at auction 15% comes off the top as a buyer’s premium. So a 20% decline in the retail price is really a 30% decline to the seller.

Warren Mills’ blog noted that many dealers are only buying to fill want lists and are not risking their capital buying inventory on spec. So there goes a big chunk of liquidity from the market.

<< <i>Until then, the market is just adjusting to the rush to dump average, run-of-the-mill schlock (dare I say "widgets") at whatever cost necessary. >>

This is what the vast majority of collectors own. Based on the coins people post here, how many of them are stocking their bank vaults with superb gems? A few yes, including Mr. Blay who started this thread, but not most. It nice to repeat the “PQ, eye appealing, top 5% for grade” mantra but most folks can’t foot that bill and far fewer have both the grading savvy and self control to sit tight, buying nothing until the so-called “right” coin comes along.

I was perusing the board ATS and noted Mark Feld’s comments on the up-coming Heritage sale of a large $25 million collection. His observation was that the collector bought a lot of “labels” at the top of the market. Selling that today is what I think Mr. Blay was talking about.

CG
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stewart Blay >>

It depends on what your are selling. Anyone savvy enough to earn the money in the first place and to purchase coins wisely should be capable of deciding whether or not they need reserves. Like any other type of sale you need to listen to the professional (whether it be a auction house or realtor) while making the crucial decisions yourself.

Strong coins will sell well with or without reserves. Indifferent or unpopular coins may need the protection of a reserve.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Stewart Blay >>

Post of the month image
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    Is the professional you are talking about an average collector,with average coin's.

If so,I would suggest he doe's more "homework" with his collecting dollar...or get better advice from his dealer(s)
    Then absolutely losing 30-60% would be inevitable.

Rob
    Rob
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    -- Do you think this is a formula for possible suicide --

Not if he needs the 30-60% to survive.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think this is a formula for possible suicide? >>

Are you referring to the "formula" as taking the auction house advice and selling for an expected 30-60% loss? Would this be what "The Average Collector" would expect on their coin collection? Would he HAVE to sell because he is a

<< <i>professional who has lost considerable money in the stock market >>

?
    I believe we have all made some mistakes in investing and collecting but it sound like our professional here is a three time loser. I would further have to assume that his high school sweetheart just left town with the Cabaña boy and he was a victim of downsizing at work and his collection is all that's left.
    Oh maybe I'm being too hard on the fellow. imageimageimage
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stewart Blay >>

Gee, that me.
    I put up unreserved 15 coins in the Ponterio auction in the recent CICF that just concluded. I got back about 40% of my investment. Hey no big deal to take a loss.image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want the top coins, you can't look at the cost very objectively - that is if you really want to own them. Just keep your hand in the air until the other guy puts his down. (or stay on the phone until the guy standing on a chair with his paddle in the air, like the Statue of Liberty, sits down.)

Stewart, this fellow beat you out on a few coins, so now is your chance at revenge. I hope you win your 1899 MS68RD Indian.

BTW, the Bust halves in this collection are incredible!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why is UNRESERVED in caps?

is that what the auction companies insists or
    can there be a reserve?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reserved or unreserved shouldn't make that much difference. The coins will sell for around their current wholesale values....which will be 50-70% of summer 2008 pricing. If the buyer paid some strong retail premiums then they could be recovering as little as 40% of purchase price. The auctions do provide the means to sell everything you want (at market price) but at mostly distressed prices. Dr. Kevorkian is not such a bad analogy.

BTW, the Bust halves in this collection are incredible!

The photos to me indicated a preponderence of toned NGC MS64-67 bust halves showing average eye appeal. And NGC coins as a rule have not been doing all that well at auction, even if solid for the grade. I have recent experience in this. TahoeDale is right when he says non-PCGS coins are weak. Even decent coins (ie not CAC quality but not overgraded) have been fetching at auction what they wholesaled for back in 2002-2004. Anything in the MS/PF 64-67 type arena lacking in quality for the grade will be fetching 50-70% of current bid with 60% being the norm. For every coin that does superbly in current auctions for whatever reason, there are ten others barely scraping buy.

I would be willing to bet the average collector would only get 30 to 60% of his investment. Do you think this is a formula for possible suicide?

Generally agree...esp with pre-1930 classic MS/PF coinage. The thing is, if the collector needs to sell I doubt they will be offered any more than they will net at auction. Most dealers won't even want to buy. They may take stuff on consignment but it could take a year or more to move any significant quantities. And the last thing a collector needs is to consign a group of coins to a dealer who ends up having liquidity problems because they can't sell their normal coins. And then you might end up with 0%. Caution is advised.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Stewart, what can I get for this numismatic item at auction?????

30%?? 60%??

Your pal, Goldbully

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>It all depends on the type of coins and their condition.

condition, may not do so well. >>

Strange that you put it that way.
    Looking at the PCGS price guide's gainers and losers recently,
    I found just the reverse. The high grade stuff was in the loser column
    while mid-grade had the better percentage of gainers.
    I don't understand it either.
    JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    No, sellers are usually smarter than that. And what do you mean "this market?" Regardless of the market conditions, quality sell coins sell for quality prices no matter what. Unless the seller is selling junk, he'd be just fine if he put his coins up on no reserve auctions.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think this is a formula for possible suicide ?

Of course not. The wealth was lost already, with or without an auction sale. Whether the losses were primarily caused by poor purchases or by the market is another issue entirely.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are two half dollars which he purchased against very strong reserves. He will take a bath on both unless he has a pro shill watching from behind the potted palm. Who was it who warned against noobs going it alone at auction? >>

Who would that be?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I have also heard that this upcoming sale at Heritage is of extremely poor quality. I had a dealer look at some coins for me and only one or two may check out alright.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options

<< <i>No, sellers are usually smarter than that. And what do you mean "this market?" Regardless of the market conditions, quality sell coins sell for quality prices no matter what. Unless the seller is selling junk, he'd be just fine if he put his coins up on no reserve auctions. >>

Quality coins sell for quality prices. I agree. But if the seller paid significantly more than market price for those coins, and did the buying when the market was higher than it is now, he/she might lose a lot of money. A collector, dealer or investor can make or lose money on any coin or group of coins.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>BEAR -The whales are dying !

Stewart >>

That is an excellent point. >>

I'll believe that when I see it. The material I've followed @ the current Heritage Auction is pricey. Attractive old copper is as strong as it has ever been. The marginal material for the grade is heavily discounted. It has been this way for a good year, at least. I haven't seen anything I'd consider to be a bargain yet.

Please send me a PM when I can get a no-problem AU 50 Bust $ in a first World Slab, or a properly graded CBH in a PC 5 slab for $5-6K. At that point, I'll tell you that prices have come down.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It all depends on the type of coins and their condition.

condition, may not do so well. >>

Strange that you put it that way.
    Looking at the PCGS price guide's gainers and losers recently,
    I found just the reverse. The high grade stuff was in the loser column
    while mid-grade had the better percentage of gainers.
    I don't understand it either.
    JT >>

Apparently a larger number of collectors for whom money is a concern are more willing to settle for mid-grade stuff.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you missed a good thread.........image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a lot of folks have been trying to sell the idea that this particular collector just way overpaid for many coins purchased... I don't buy that since there was at least one other person that was willing to pay the next lower bidding increment, right??? One person overpaying is one thing, but two folks willing to "overpay" at a given price level seems to me like a market retail price.
  • Options

<< <i>Seems like a lot of folks have been trying to sell the idea that this particular collector just way overpaid for many coins purchased... I don't buy that since there was at least one other person that was willing to pay the next lower bidding increment, right??? One person overpaying is one thing, but two folks willing to "overpay" at a given price level seems to me like a market retail price. >>

Another way of putting this is: at the auction a couple of years ago, the winners were the consignor, the auction house, and the underbidder.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems like a lot of folks have been trying to sell the idea that this particular collector just way overpaid for many coins purchased... I don't buy that since there was at least one other person that was willing to pay the next lower bidding increment, right??? One person overpaying is one thing, but two folks willing to "overpay" at a given price level seems to me like a market retail price. >>

Nope. The real market price is actually one increment over where the under under bidder drops out. That's why when I'm bidding on something in auction, I like to wait and feel how many bidders there are and when the second to last one drops out.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>

Nope. The real market price is actually one increment over where the under under bidder drops out. That's why when I'm bidding on something in auction, I like to wait and feel how many bidders there are and when the second to last one drops out. >>

I agree!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file