Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this cent "spooned"?

Rather than ask a silly trivia question about this cent (the 74) I found in change I looked around online and the only thing I could come by that made sense was that the rim was spooned. That didn't mean much to me either. So I ask, is the rim of this cent spooned? (And what's Spooning? And no, not that.) Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I was curious and did a google search.

Spooned is a method of hammering the edges of a coin with a spoon, and given enough time and skill a person can make the coin into a ring. image
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it was once an encased coin?
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yours could be.
    I dunno.

Here's an example of a spooned coin.

Made by someone with a lot of time on his hands or should I say with a lot of time to do.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I tried making one of these once - but grew impatient and tried using a small hammer. I go about halfway and then quit after about 2 hours.
  • Options
    I'm wondering if the lines on the cent are from a vice and someone was going tappa-tappa-tappa. But I'll keep looking!
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>someone was going tappa-tappa-tappa. >>

I think you're right image
    Ed
  • Options
    More than likely your coin spent some time in a clothes dryer rolling around in the drum. The edges are much too uniform to be from spooning (you can see tiny "dings" from spooning), and a cent is way too small of a coin to spoon into a ring. (unless it is going to be for a toddler, which I highly doubt.) Let alone the fact that if it were to be a ring, the wearer"s finger would turn green from the copper.

I don't believe it was ever encased, as that "crimps", or smashes the rims down flatter, resulting in a kind of "stair-step" looking rim, and the diameter of the coin is usually larger than a normal coin.

I'm 99.99% sure of my theory...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We used to spoon coins into rings while we were at sea in the Navy. The constant tap tap tapping could be heard in berthing compartments and mess deck each evening, above the murmur of conversation. A lot of silver rings were made that way. Never saw anyone doing a cent. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A similar effect on the coin can be achieved by getting them stuck in the drum of a large commercial clothes dryer like those you see in laundromats. I know because I worked for a company that serviced them and we used to find these all the time.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I believe the answer is yes or something like that. As others stated it could also be from constant tapping on a hard surface while rotating the coin.
  • Options
    How exactly does the coin turn into a ring? Wouldn't it eventually end up as a metal ball, or would it be spooned and then the center cut out?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It limageimageks more forked than spooned.

• Options
    This is a drum coin (personal term). Found in commercial dryers as stated above. Spooned coins show worn details on both sides just like the 1946 shown above.

Bright side: Find 50 of these and you have a "Drum Roll"....Hey! Thank you, Thank you...sorry had to image

Lestrrr
  • Options

I agree with the clothes dryer crowd, that's just what happened to these two-

• Options
    BTW, anyone have a picture to post of an actual coin spooned into a ring?
  • Options
    This might help: linky

Lestrrr
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A similar effect on the coin can be achieved by getting them stuck in the drum of a large commercial clothes dryer like those you see in laundromats. I know because I worked for a company that serviced them and we used to find these all the time. >>

bingo....this is the correct answer kiddies!

actually found one of these in my own dryer ...1966
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A similar effect on the coin can be achieved by getting them stuck in the drum of a large commercial clothes dryer like those you see in laundromats. I know because I worked for a company that serviced them and we used to find these all the time. >>

How did it happen? Was it part of a money laundering operation?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file