Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Feeling creative? Let's write a description for this coin.

I have to write text descriptions for a bunch of coins. I've been looking through a 2-foot high stack of Stacks catalogs for inspiration. But thus far haven't found it.

I'm having trouble just getting beyond "not to bad off New Zealand half penny 1940 MS65RB (PGCS)." I'm hoping for something more flashy sounding.

Original Surfaces?
Well preserved?
Lustre in Spades?
Creamy surfaces? Whatever that means.
Weak Strike?
Hard to find in nice grades?
Late stage dies?

If you guys had two or three sentences to describe the coin, what would you say?

edited: The top photo was taken by Blu62vette using daylight flourecents. The bottom photo was snapped by me under desktop halogens. I didn't mean for the bottom photo to be used, but it's closer to the coin's color than the top photo. Although the top photo doesn't look as washed out.

Todd shot all 30 of the coins in the submission for me raw. When the coins came back in their slabs, I shot the labels to edit into Todd's image. I shot the coin so I could get the right label with the right image from Todd (the coins are on their way back to Dad so I just have the photos to edit on my end - thus the need for the washed out photo. It tells me what label goes with what coin). So for example there are 2 1940 1/2 d's in MS65. Got to match the label with Todd's images of the raw coins.

I was thinking to just publish both photos in the sale - let the buyer see the coin in a couple of different lights.

Comments

• Options
    Four words should do it.

PCGS Red Brown GEM
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Man'o'man!!! This could be a thread on the difference a photo makes. The differences between top and bottom pics is amazing to me. I would never buy a coin from the bottom photo, but I simply love the top picture!
  • Options
    !!!!L@@k!!!!
    Amazing PCGS MS65RB that should have been a 67
    3 min return policy
    Paypal only!!!

Just kidding.

I agree with IloiloKano, just keep it plain and simple. The coin speaks for itself

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I've taken numerous images of the same coin in the past , all differently lighted and yet all accurate...

...just depended on how the light hit it.

Who's to say one angle is false and another true?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Unless the top photo is deceptive (which I doubt from Blu62vette) I would not include the other picture.

I also agree with the others, the less said the better, no need to use puffery. I also wouldn't say "not too bad off".

You could go with something like: "Great eye appeal on this PCGS MS65 RB graded Gem."
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree- the top photo is a quantum leap beyond the second picture.

I also agree that there is no need for excessive description.

I would say, "1940 New Zealand halfpenny, PCGS MS65 RB. Attractive orange-brown color with nice surfaces", and leave it at that.

You could also say, "one of only two examples graded MS65 by PCGS" if that is the case.

That gives you a little more than the basics but doesn't get excessively adjectival and into the realm of hype, I think.

Edit to add: I have always found the adjective "creamy" to be rather nauseating. It doesn't have a place outside of descriptions of dairy products or food, and is grossly overused there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out several of the coin descriptions here for good examples of somewhat flowery descriptions of coins that promote a coin's virtues while still remaining honest about its drawbacks.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    I typically don't read the sales fluff - though stats and factual coin info may make or break the deal.

Examples:
    Only 300 proof examples issued, under 1000..., less than 10000... etc.
    One year type, commemorating the birth of, death of, marriage of etc.
    Depicting the god of, persona of, tomb of, site of etc.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    If you have a good photo, I wouldn't worry too much about a description. Keep it as factual as possible ... ie: X% red, pop X/Y at PCGS, top photo using daylight flourecents, bottom photo using desktop halogens.

Does anyone really trust the written descriptions?
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Does anyone really trust the written descriptions? >>

I do, depending on the seller's rep of course.

Zeebob, without wanting to sound negative, I'd follow the advice of the members who posted a reply before me and leave it to the grade, otherwise the reverse of the coin looks disappointing for a 65RB. The fields are far from gem looking with quite a few stains and other imperfections, there's a distracting tick at the right side of the relief , the colour is closer to a washed out orange than a fierce blazing red, the luster looks dull and in general the coin looks somewhat unattractive to me and low end for its grade.

Your 1947 1/2d in MS65RB that you posted in the other thread is a much better example IMHO, despite their identical grade.

This is only my uneducated opinion on a series that I don't know at all of course, and I certainly don't have the slightest intention of being negative or offensive. I'd therefore leave the grade and this honest pair of photos to do the talking. Besides, the collectors who want this coin in this grade will go for it anyway.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    I like the way you fellas think. Simple is better. Easier to write too.

Okay, I'm sticking with a simple identification, grade and pop report with a photo (top not bottom).

How's this: New Zealand 1/2 d 1940 MS65RB PCGS pop 2, with 3 finer (MS65RD)

After looking through the pile of Stacks catalogs, all I got out of it was sleepy. A fella can only read about blazing gem original chocolate mahogany creamy (sorry Rob) lustorous surfaces for so long before the eyes cross and the brain nods off.

Thank you guys! Always good to have a sanity check.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

When will the listing be up?

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    "When will the listing be up?"

Chuckle... (where is the smiley that chuckles?)

Dad's project has thus far been ongoing for two years. I hope it's all done by Fall this year. It's been (and continues to be) a heck of a learning experience for me.

I have to register a domain and put up the website and listings.

Short answer.... six months. (I hope)

I used a point and shoot to photo the first 150 coins I sent in for Dad. But looking at those photos and what Blu62vette can do (or I can do if I put some time into it) are like looking at night and day.

So I have the Bul62vette photos for the last 30 coins. I just got off the phone with Dad. We need to figure out how to get the first 150 coins re-imaged (Blu62vette or me or maybe a photographer Dad knows).

And I have a stack of coins Dad has been sending for "one last" submission (just like the last two "one last submissions") piling up in the safe-deposit box (actually I have one just for his stuff that's separate from mine)... image I think he's using the SD-box out here as extra storage space for his collection as the slabs I've been sending back to him have filled his old and new boxes up back East.

As I keep working at all this, I'll keep you guys informed. Not so much because I want to SPAM the board, but I find the input from these boards very helpful as far as the process goes.

I've sold stuff on Ebay, but I haven't help to sell off any sizable collection of high grade stuff in any systematic way before.

If I get the gumption up maybe I'll come up with an open-source web site that others can use to list their collections and manage their own sales or auctions.

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Chuckle... (where is the smiley that chuckles?) >>

Here he is: image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim