Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My 1916 type set

veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
Just thought I'd share some samples of my twentieth Century first year issue type set with my fellow collectors. My goal has always been to get the highest quality example for the grade. I envy those of you who get "great deals" or buy at bargain prices. I, however, do not possess that skill, as I pay through the nose when I see what I like. Maybe that's why I'm always broke!
1916 WLH PCGS MS-64
1916 SLQ PCGS MS-63 fh
1916 Mercury PCGS MS-65 fsb
Until I sharpen my photography techniques, I'm settling for scanned images. In hand, the toning is more refined and the luster is much stronger.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Great looking set thus far. You've picked up the toughest coins thus far, and they all match really well.

• Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Does toning such as on the Mercury only come from being housed in an album? I admire what you have put together, very nice.
    Paul
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    very nice, that Walker looks great.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful!!! Good luck in future acquisitions and may you enjoy them in good health.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    What? No 1916-D Merc?

Just kidding - those are some sweet coins.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coins. Congratulations.
    The pics aren't that bad for a scanner either.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭
    Nice Walker but I really like the SLQ. Great start on the set.

Mike
  • Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I love thatquarter, the date is very nice. I have a few SLQs and I find the dates can be hard to see on even lightly worn examples.
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking group!! The SLQ is especially nice. image
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice group ya got there.........
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice group and start on a FYI Type set!

K
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    stunning...to think you got that quarter...huge congrats

are ya going to break suit and toss the matte proofs in the last 2 minors?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Fantastic looking set! Seeing these three together makes me appreciate those designs and the era in which they were minted, that much more!

Gary
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality knows no monetary boundaries. Choice coins! Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice comments.
    I do have most first year issues of other twentieth century coins, with the exception of gold. I was considering the first year Barber coins and the 1878 Morgan dollar, but for now, I need to take a break.image
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a really nice SLQ! Re the first year Barber set, it's easy to do. The 1892 Ps are plentiful, as many were saved. The only problem you'll have is with the half, as Barber halves are almost always ugly for the grade.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    1916 SLQ SWEET! Very nice Set. Slighty jealous But thanks for sharing with pictures.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that SLQ is quite a coin! Congrats on the nice set.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great SLQ!!!
    Good for you. Thanks for posting these.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options

<< <i>That's a really nice SLQ! Re the first year Barber set, it's easy to do. The 1892 Ps are plentiful, as many were saved. The only problem you'll have is with the half, as Barber halves are almost always ugly for the grade. >>

Thanks, and with regard to the 1892 Barbers, I am considering AU-55 or AU-58 grades, instead of strict uncirculated examples.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file