Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 Nickels and Dimes - Extremely Low Mintages

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
The latest Online Coin World states that the US Mint is ceasing production on nickels and dimes for 2009! image

Current production reports are:

Nickel
Denv = 33.36 M
Philly = 36.00 M

Dime
Denv = 41.50 M
Philly = 78.50 M

I hope you've gotten yours already as this news will cause these to shoot out to the Pluto level!

Title Edited.
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone gotten any of these coins? I still need them for my Dansco's.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I have not seen full mint rolls of either coin since 2007!

I fully expect 2009 to be a banner year across all coin types!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>The latest Online Coin World states that the US Mint is ceasing production on nickels and dimes for 2009! image

Current production reports are:

Nickel
    Denv = 33.36 M
    Philly = 36.00 M

Dime
    Denv = 41.50 M
    Philly = 78.50 M

I hope you've gotten yours already as this news will cause these to shoot out to the Pluto level!

Title Edited. >>

They haven't been released yet.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it quite interesting that they already know how bad the economy is going to be for the rest of the year, such that it warrants no further coin production.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>They haven't been released yet. >>

And statement is based on...............image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a 2009-P dime in my hand.
    Of course, I was standing on the Philadelphia Mint's coining floor at the time..........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>I have had a 2009-P dime in my hand.
    Of course, I was standing on the Philadelphia Mint's coining floor at the time..........
    image >>

I will PM you my address so you can send it to me for my Dansco.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>

<< <i>They haven't been released yet. >>

And statement is based on...............image >>

Reality.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I fully expect 2009 to be a banner year across all coin types! >>

I fully agree, look at the nutty prices for the cents. I have yet to see anything 2009 except quarters, and those I had to look hard for.
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The interesting part of this is that the dimes already minted this year
    might be largely in circulation already. It's unlikely more than about
    half are but since they are going to areas with strong demand it's
    likely that many have already been distributed.

I'd warn would be investors that at least about half of these will end
    up in storage until the drawdown reaches them. Since it's first in first
    out many of these will be in storage nearly until minting is resumed.
    Even a lot of those that have hit circulation will end up going into
    storage in high circulated or even unc condition.

While these might attain a high price you should expect the market
    to collapse when the economy improves or even earlier as some peo-
    ple will have access to coins in storage.

It takes a lot of years to winnow down the populations of a coin and
    they don't suffer attrition sitting in storage. (unless they get melted).

These would actually be more common in circulation than the '69-P if
    they were released. While these are all in high grade and most will
    probably be saved, the '69 was not saved and the few left are in low
    grade.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I don't believe I've seen 2009-dated anything yet. Still, if these low mintages are to be believed, it's going to be another 1950-D nickel where virtually all specimens are mint state. That will probably mean there can be some premium over more plentiful dates in typical condition, but the premium for MS coins will be limited by the unusually large supply of well-preserved specimens.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The interesting part of this is that the dimes already minted this year
    might be largely in circulation already. >>

In most years, the dime has been the first of the new year's coins I have found in circulation.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    FropaFropa Posts: 71 ✭✭
    I've found 1 2009-P dime and a few D.C. quarters from counting machine bags. None actually in change I've received.
  • Options
    I have found 3 2009 Sac dollars and about 20 DC quarters but nothing else this year.
    Collector of about anything I find at work. I love short run $1 stars.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have found 3 2009 Sac dollars and about 20 DC quarters but nothing else this year. >>

The Mint did not produce any "Sac" $ for 2009....I suspect you meant to say "Native American" ... the Sac. $ is history.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Any news on quarters or presidential dollars? They have to mint these for the new designs, but perhaps it will just be a small number.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Got an 09 P dime in change yesterday and 2 DC quarters 'D' last week in change. Surprised about the 'P' dime as I am in Houston......Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I'll have to start checking my bank for rolls. image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    are those mintages truly low???

i see tens of millions and look away
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>are those mintages truly low???

i see tens of millions and look away >>

No. They're only low in comparison to other moderns.

There were 519 million '82-P dimes so so 42 million is tiny in comparison. The former is worth
    a few dollars in typical unc and carries a huge premium in high grade. So people have a tendency
    to think this will be worth 12 times as much.

Of course in the long run it matters only how many get saved and the total demand. Few of the
    '82-P's were saved and this is becoming the long run pretty fast for them.

It'll years till we know how many of the new dimes survive but it's almost certain to be far far more
    than the '82-P.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Forget whole rolls..... I just need to keep our family's Whitman blue folders up-to-date with '09 nickels & dimes (and, of course, penny varieties) from both P&D mints (4 each).

Can anyone help?

I'm still short 2 P-mints each (nickels & dimes) from '08, if you can believe it, and I only live less than 20 miles from the Philly Mint!!imageimage

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Of course... and I'm almost half a world away...

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Production of the remaining three 2009 Lincoln cent designs will be drastically affected, so the craziness over Lincoln rolls will continue.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have found 3 2009 Sac dollars and about 20 DC quarters but nothing else this year. >>

The Mint did not produce any "Sac" $ for 2009....I suspect you meant to say "Native American" ... the Sac. $ is history. >>

Well, Sac. is still on the coin. Thats what I meant to say. Thanks for the correction.
    Collector of about anything I find at work. I love short run $1 stars.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Forget whole rolls..... I just need to keep our family's Whitman blue folders up-to-date with '09 nickels & dimes >>

this may be the year to buy mint sets.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Forget whole rolls..... I just need to keep our family's Whitman blue folders up-to-date with '09 nickels & dimes >>

this may be the year to buy mint sets. >>

There's a good chance mint set sales will be low as well because
    of the economy. It should be an interesting year in any case.

It sure hurts me seeing so many coins going into storage though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been buying Proof sets on their "subscription" plan. But I won't buy an inflated-price Mint set to fill Whitman holes in just a few each.... I'll find them somehowimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

this may be the year to buy mint sets. >>

There's a good chance mint set sales will be low as well because
    of the economy. It should be an interesting year in any case.

It sure hurts me seeing so many coins going into storage though. >>

The only draw back to the mint set portion of the equation is that mint set coins are specially manufactured Satin Finish coins. While they do go nicely into a Dansco, they are not the regular business strike versions.

Unless production fires up again on the nickels and dimes, 2009 will turn into a collectible year not only for individual pieces but for roll stock as well.
    If I do see ANY nickel or dime rolls for 2009, I know I'll pick some up.

And remember folks, we're only referring to business strike nickels and dimes here. Yes, there are still millions of them produced but how many actually make it to the light of day is the real collectors story.

I'm certainly not trying to light any fires here, just passing on, what I think, is some significant information that could affect the prices on these modern issues in about 5 years or so.

BTW, the mints web page is here.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I wonder if the 0.70 million N.A.$1 from Denver is correct. That is 6.5 million less than the P version.
  • Options
    Hello,

All I can say is I got five rolls of the DC quarters to look for the doubled E and opened two rolls. Quality was pretty good but no doubled E's. I got these rolls in the Dallas area a couple of weeks ago.

I'm debating with myself whether-or-not to open the other three rolls.

One other thing, getting new rolls of *anything* here where I live on the Central Coast of California is very rare. I do not expect to get any without buying them.

I think having a few rolls of other recent coins may turn out well for me since I do not think they have been saved in significant numbers. Time will tell if I am correct.

Cheers
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The United States Mint has halted production of circulating 2009 Jefferson nickels and 2009 Roosevelt dimes for the rest of this year, according to the latest issue of Coin World. As the dime and nickel production graphs show, the stoppage creates historic, staggering low mintages for the two coins — levels not seen since the 50s.

Coin Word’s Paul Gilkes reports the US Mint made the announcement on April 23, and included details of a scale back in producing for other circulating coins, like the three remaining 2009 Lincoln Pennies.

It’s not that the public or collectors dislike the new coins. Quite the opposite, in fact. Collector demand for 2009 circulating coinage is exceptionally high. It’s all about the recession. It has, by itself, significantly eroded demand for new coins in every day transactions.
    Why? In addition to buying less, consumers as a whole no longer hoard loose change at home. They spend or cash it in, replenishing circulating supplies to such an extent that coin inventories at banks have climbed. Banks, in turn, cut Federal Reserve orders for new coin shipments. Federal Reserve banks do the same to the Mint, which is then forced to slash production.

Electronic transactions has already cut into demand for circulating coins over the last several years. The latest news from the Mint, however, overshadows how drastic demand for coins has been affected due solely to the recession.

Using the latest Mint circulating coin production figures for 2009 Jefferson nickels, 33.36 million from Denver and 36 million from Philadelphia were struck, for a total of 69.36 million coins. In contrast, 640.6 million nickels were minted last year. That is an astonishing 89.2 percent reduction. The last time a U.S. nickel had such a low combined mintage was in 1951.

The picture is very similar for 2009 Roosevelt dimes. 41.50 million in Denver and 78.50 million in Philadelphia were struck, for a total of 120 million coins. In contrast, 1.05 billion circulating dimes were minted last year. That is a 88.6 percent reduction. The combined mintage level has not been this low for the dime since 1955.

Finding circulating 2009 nickels and dimes will become a priority for many collectors, as their comparative scarcity is extremely attractive. The task may be quite difficult, however. To date, finding 2009 coinage has been a challenge. And unlike other circulating coins, the Mint does not directly sell the nickel and dime in bags or rolls to collectors.

Coin News
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    The Govt' did it again...they found a new way for the public to ..HOARD..money.!! Yes ..Issue a press release that there will be no more nickles and dimes....!!!...image...That's what they're doing ...nickle and dimen everyone....image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    CharlieCCharlieC Posts: 189

Any 2009 Nickel or Dime rolls surfaced yet?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is less change than what many expected.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Dimes/Nickels/pennies/quarters/dollars.. Who needs them when you use your Visa Check card.. Hell I bettca in years to come they will be collectable..image
  • Options

<< <i>Dimes/Nickels/pennies/quarters/dollars.. Who needs them when you use your Visa Check card.. Hell I bettca in years to come they will be collectable..image >>

Some EXPIRED Starbucks test cards sell for over $100.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Leave it to the Mint to come up with a way to keep production high when demand is low... now they are proposing the creation of a "Strategic Coin Reserve". Yes, you never know when some horrible disaster will incapacitate one of the mints, so they want to mint more coins now so there is a stockpile available if that happens.

The question is, if this actually is adopted, whether it will affect 2009 mintages.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't believe I've seen 2009-dated anything yet. Still, if these low mintages are to be believed, it's going to be another 1950-D nickel where virtually all specimens are mint state. That will probably mean there can be some premium over more plentiful dates in typical condition, but the premium for MS coins will be limited by the unusually large supply of well-preserved specimens. >>

The 50-D is still selling at 1960's prices and appears to be stuck there for the next 50 years. Furthermore, they only minted 2 million of the 50-D. The nickel and dime 30-80 million mintage "scarcity" is just the speculators using smoke & mirrors! You want real modern scarcity (used loosely), look at gold commemoratives, buffaloes, AGEs or APEs.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>Any 2009 Nickel or Dime rolls surfaced yet? >>

None are going to surface this year. I heard from a good source that the FED but in no orders to the mint for dimes or nickles in 2009. So these will stay at the mint until the fed orders some probably in 2010.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1958 Philadelphia Jefferson nickel had a mintage of 17 million.

Uncirculated rolls are worth less than $10 today.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>I wonder if the 0.70 million N.A.$1 from Denver is correct. That is 6.5 million less than the P version. >>

No its not correct. Much of the Native american coin were minted in 2008 and were reflected in the Dec 2008 production, which is actually hiding how few 2008 Sacs were minted.
  • Options
    rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    I have been looking on Ebay for completed sales of rolls or singles and there is absolutely nothing. I spoke to my dad (who lives in Puerto Rico) and he was told by the bank that he does business with that they do in fact have 2009 dimes and nickel rolls. The bank told him they are in bank bags and in order to get them he must call one day in advance so that they may move them from the main cashier (which I assume is the vault) to the tellers. Ill be keeping everyone updated and helping out some of you (you know who you are)

Im still wondering why even the biggest cities are unable to receive new nickels and dimes but my best guess is that Puerto Rico needs new coins because there is probably not enough in circulation as opposed to a bigger city
  • Options

<< <i>I have been looking on Ebay for completed sales of rolls or singles and there is absolutely nothing. I spoke to my dad (who lives in Puerto Rico) and he was told by the bank that he does business with that they do in fact have 2009 dimes and nickel rolls. The bank told him they are in bank bags and in order to get them he must call one day in advance so that they may move them from the main cashier (which I assume is the vault) to the tellers. Ill be keeping everyone updated and helping out some of you (you know who you are)

Im still wondering why even the biggest cities are unable to receive new nickels and dimes but my best guess is that Puerto Rico needs new coins because there is probably not enough in circulation as opposed to a bigger city >>

Let us know, I will pay 3x face for whatever e can get.
  • Options
    rodzmrodzm Posts: 675

<< <i>
    Let us know, I will pay 3x face for whatever e can get. >>

Thats very generous of you, Ill definitely take it into consideration. I really hope that this goes through and if it does then I should be receving 22 rolls of dimes and 25 rolls of nickels. I'll be helping out a few forum members in the best way I can so once i do receive them Ill keep you in mind. Just shoot me a PM that way I know and it works as a reminder
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    New Signs Spotted on Sidewalks across America:

WILL WORK FOR 2009-minted NICKELS & DIMES

• Options
    For 2010, I think the US Mint should limit production of business-strike Nickels and Dimes to about 2 million from each Mint. They should then sell these to Collector/Investor/Speculators for $50/roll.

Might help fund some of these bail-outs. image
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Please let me know if you want to get rid of any and your price.
  • Options

<< <i>Please let me know if you want to get rid of any and your price. >>

Same goes for me.
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Let us know, I will pay 3x face for whatever e can get. >>

Thats very generous of you, Ill definitely take it into consideration. I really hope that this goes through and if it does then I should be receving 22 rolls of dimes and 25 rolls of nickels. I'll be helping out a few forum members in the best way I can so once i do receive them Ill keep you in mind. Just shoot me a PM that way I know and it works as a reminder >>

not greedy just two examples of each please for a reasonable price plus shipping costs thx
  • Options

<< <i>The 1958 Philadelphia Jefferson nickel had a mintage of 17 million.
    Uncirculated rolls are worth less than $10 today. >>

And I suspect that if you carried a roll into a dealer, he might offer you $2.50 for it. Who wants 1958 rolls - probably no one.

Who will want 2009 rolls of anything in 40 years? Probably very few. The time to cash in on 2009 commons is now. So if you find them, dump them, for whatever any starry-eyed brainiac will give you. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file