Home Precious Metals

Shipwreck silver?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you own one? Would you own one at 2 to 5 times melt?

78 troy pounds on eBay currently starting bid $30k:

Mel Fisher Atocha store
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Johnson Matthey has a special 5 gram "sailboat" silver ingot. It was struck using silver recovered from some shipwreck and was limited to 20,000 pieces. I have paid as much as $30 for an example, making it worth around 15x melt!!! Perhaps cars would be kind enough to post a photo, as I no longer have any frac silverimage As to the bar you pictured, no, I wouldnt be a buyer at over 2x melt on such a large chunk.
  • BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    One of our Forum members Joe O'Connor has a 71 troy lb bar 4 sale for only $24,500....

Sure would make a nice door stop image
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't really appeal to me. Not a very nice looking bar.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a fine line between slag and artifact. The ones that are well preserved with readable and understandable markings are very cool. The ones that just look like dirty lumps not so much.

Wonder how they perform over time. Like if the premium increases dramatically as the value of silver falls. I don't think I'd have a hard time paying 3 times face if silver falls below $8 an ounce. But at $18 an ounce, it would be tough to justify.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame