Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone here like original Hobo Nickels?

Comments

• Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    pretty nice detail even though dateless

Original Hobo Nickel Society
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pretty nice detail even though dateless >>

Thanks Edwin. Even though the date doesn't show, it's a 1913. It has a type 1 reverse.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was mesmerized by an album full of these at the Nebraska City show this year. The man was in hot pursuit. I believe he was from Kansas.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Nice piece. I have one also.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Pretty neat. Looks like it circulated for a while!
  • Options
    I think they are very, very cool ~
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>I was mesmerized by an album full of these at the Nebraska City show this year. The man was in hot pursuit. I believe he was from Kansas. >>

Was he a big fat man?
  • Options

<< <i>Was he a big fat man? >>

LOL! I was thinking Verne too.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like it circulated for a while! >>

Yes, I believe it did,,,,,,,,, or was a pocket piece.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I love these! How do you tell originals from modern pieces?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No edix. This fellow was about 5'9'' around 48-50, shorter dark hair. Medium build, glasses. I had his number too. I called it trying to tell him of a certain nickel our own BROADSTRUCK had shown me.
    I didn't realize how dateless nickels could be so intricately and artistically carved by the workin' man's hands and turn out so masterful. Talk about having identifying characteristics, now , huh ? image
    Who needs a date with a hobo ?
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Man I love these I have another besides this one and one that was given to me by Del Romines the author the Hobo Nickel book.

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure this one is original because it's a Type 1 with a full horn reverse.
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont own this piece but i love the fact that it combines two disciplines: the hobo nickel and the potty dollar......i believe i have shown it on the forum once before

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    This is my first hobo nickel that I bought. I bought it today from a local coin dealer for $25.00..................

EDIT (9-25-2010): I do not think that this is an original hobo nickel but I am not sure since the mint year was taken out. It might be a hobo nickel that was carved from a 1930's Buffalo nickel.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are those carved over original U.S. mint struck nickels?

Ah, I bet the Hobby Protection Act doesn't care. . .

peacockcoins

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are three that I am certain are old ones. One of them has been on the forum before.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are three that I am certain are old ones. One of them has been on the forum before.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage >>

Is the one in the center an 18/7-D? image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are those carved over original U.S. mint struck nickels?

Ah, I bet the Hobby Protection Act doesn't care. . .

image >>

I bet they were really taken as "special dates" by collectors as well.
    And, I also bet they REALLY enriched the folks that did them....I bet they were pimped and pimped, eh? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love these Hobo nickels, some show a lot of creativity...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice... I have been looking for an original for a long time, but they are hard to find. Lots of great contemporary examples (check the hobo nickel site), but I just want an original. I will find one someday. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here are three that I am certain are old ones. One of them has been on the forum before.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage >>

Is the one in the center an 18/7-D? image >>

Sure looks like, any experts.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    You got to love the history, but the coins are only good for one thing...Target practiceimage
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the one in the center an 18/7-D? image >>

I vote yes, but what's also interesting is the mintmark on the 1921, almost looks like a "D"
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the one in the center an 18/7-D? image >>

I vote yes, but what's also interesting is the mintmark on the 1921, almost looks like a "D" >>

Yes, the middle one is an 18/17, and the third one is a 21S, not D. Man, that is most unfortunate. Hopefully these were photoshop jobs to play with us sensitive folks.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is the one in the center an 18/7-D? image >>

I vote yes, but what's also interesting is the mintmark on the 1921, almost looks like a "D" >>

Yes, the middle one is an 18/17, and the third one is a 21S, not D. Man, that is most unfortunate. Hopefully these were photoshop jobs to play with us sensitive folks. >>

Wow! Missed the overdate first time through!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file