Home Precious Metals
Options

Loaded for bear!!!...UPDATED WITH THE BOOTY!

Panda bear that is.image Wish me luck at this week's CICF! (By the way, which pic do you guys prefer?)

Well, pickings were slim to be sure. Saw perhaps just a dozen gold pandas at the show, although there were at least 25% of the tables still not set-up yet. Here is what I was able to buy:

1989 gold 1/2 ounce $500

1987 gold 5 coin complete set (Y- mintmark is slightly more scarce than the S) $1800...thats melt +4.5% WOW!!!

And last but not least (and not a panda) was this uber cool 10 gram Degussa gold bar bought from Tom (caphenway) at the HJB table for melt. Thanks Tom, you're one of the good guys!!!

Comments

• Options
    Why do they all have the same serial number?
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Why do they all have the same serial number? >>

Shoot! I knew I forgot something!!!!
  • Options
    MPLunaticMPLunatic Posts: 617 ✭✭
    why do you have to taunt us poor guys like that image
  • Options

<< <i>why do you have to taunt us poor guys like that image >>

Get a government job and you'll be loaded too!
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Sweet!
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    OK . . .

We've seen the "BEFORE" pics.

How about some "AFTER" pics when you return. image

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man o man I could get me two dozen of them bermuda gold coins with that loot. image
  • Options

<< <i>OK . . .

We've seen the "BEFORE" pics.

How about some "AFTER" pics when you return. image

Regards,

John >>

You'll have em by Thursday evening.image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chump change.

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Watch out Bear...he's loaded.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Gosh, this Forum is getting dangerous

for us cute little bears.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    There are two ways to lose your stash.

Tell somebody you have it.

Tell somebody where it is.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>There are two ways to lose your stash.

Tell somebody you have it.

Tell somebody where it is.

image >>

Was wondering when the paranoids would start to chime in. How many times have you ever been robbed or burglarized Storm? Never here...unless you count a couple of car radios that have taken a walk on me awhile back. Heres a quick tip for you Storm.....dont be afraid of life.image
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Gecko, I have the exact same laptop!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Heres a quick tip for you Storm.....dont be afraid of life. "

/////////////////////////////

My "tip" was in jest.

And, trust me, I am not "afraid" of anything.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Cute? Okay.
    Little? There is a problem with all of those jelly doughnuts and honey you have been ingesting, Bear!

BTW, look up 'cute'....it probably is NOT what you think it means. Originally, it meant 'clever'.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    "I'm not dumb like people say, I am smart" Godfather
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    MPLunaticMPLunatic Posts: 617 ✭✭
    by the way, whats cicf
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gecko, I have the exact same laptop! >>

What laptop?

imageimage
    Becky
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Will 5K get you in the door? I thought you were going there to make some purchases, not buy coffee. image
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

<< <i>Will 5K get you in the door? I thought you were going there to make some purchases, not buy coffee. image >>

Haha.......one man's "pocket change" is another man's small fortune, right? Its certainly all relative. If I can approach 5 ounces total of a nice mixture of pandas needed for my set, then i'll be one happy dude leaving Rosemont!image
  • Options
    ttt for the update
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet, nice pick ups!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    That baby Degussa gold bar is ultra-cool!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Nice p/u's. I've seen the degussa bar on eBay all the time. I have a 20, 50 & 100 gram silver degussa.

Nice set of panda's!
    Its all relative
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dammit, dammit, DAMMIT!!!! Good work Gecko!

Nice job on the near spot acquistions; since it ain't $1650 yet, your timing was appropriate.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Nice pick ups, Phil!! Congrats. I love those Pandas!
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

imageimage
    Very nice!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean that you are not going to sacrifice the Degussa bar for your gold casting experiment????
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Does this mean that you are not going to sacrifice the Degussa bar for your gold casting experiment????
    TD >>

I'd need to get my head checked if I turned that great little bar into a lump!!! Ideally I would like to use ex jewelry pandas for my experiment. They can usually be had at a tiny fraction above melt, and no longer have any collector value.
  • Options
    Hey, why don't you buy a small electric ceramic oven. You can find them listed in chemistry equipment catalogs. I worked in a school that had one and I know they get hot enough to melt metals (into a great red-colored liquid). You get that, some crucibles, a pair of tongs, insulated gloves and you are in business, no problem. Cost of equipment had to be reasonable, I mean, a high school bought it. Very small, very thick ceramic sides and door.

edited for hyperlink:

gold kiln
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

• Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Shoot brother, if I had those c-notes, I'd haul a$$ to the mall!
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, why don't you buy a small electric ceramic oven. You can find them listed in chemistry equipment catalogs. I worked in a school that had one and I know they get hot enough to melt metals (into a great red-colored liquid). You get that, some crucibles, a pair of tongs, insulated gloves and you are in business, no problem. Cost of equipment had to be reasonable, I mean, a high school bought it. Very small, very thick ceramic sides and door.

edited for hyperlink:

gold kiln >>

where have you been?!?!?!

• Options
    Away. I searched for your thread but couldn't find it from four months ago. Very nice work gecko109, now stop laughing at me.image

I have been busy buying a house in Las Vegas to be used as a rental. Busy, busy, busy.

• Options
    At the show I couldn't help but stop by the table to notice you left a few of those Pandas for others to buy, but not too many.
  • Options
    Percy, the drawback to me going on "preview" day is that there were ALOT of empty tables. I think next year I will just go on the regular 1st day open to the public. What did you pick up by the way?
  • Options

<< <i>Percy, the drawback to me going on "preview" day is that there were ALOT of empty tables. I think next year I will just go on the regular 1st day open to the public. What did you pick up by the way? >>

I didn't find much of anything for sale. Seemed like there was an over abundance of Darkside material and not much gold or silver for sale. I almost went for a Panda...but I'd have prefered the 1/2 ounce,which I didn't see there.

I picked up a 39 D Jefferson...it's a key date, and a 1948S MS65 Washington quarter (i'm almost complete with the 40s)--and a Canadian $1 note (for a Canadian Type set I'm working on). The bourse was Packed on Friday!! But I wasn't that impressed....not sure why.
    Photos of the Jefferson: Next year we'll meet on Friday.