Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2008-W American Gold Buffalo's going for moon money!!!!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought the $50 one ounce proof for $1025.....got it graded at PCGS came back PR70DCAM non first strike....just checked eBay tonight!!

$$$$$$$$$$ image

Anyone else reaping big bucks on these proof Buffs????

Check 'em out!

**Note: at least it's not another UHR thread!!!! image

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kick myself for only ordering one and the 4 coin set last year.

only got a pr70dc on the $25. (F.S.)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far I am holding my Proof and MS Sets GoldBully. So, the return remains unknown.

I am happy to see the Ebay results and congrats on your success!!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    I'm holding a raw MS quarter. image
  • Options

<< <i>So far I am holding my Proof and MS Sets GoldBully. So, the return remains unknown.

I am happy to see the Ebay results and congrats on your success!!

Miles >>

Thanks Miles.....glad to see you are sitting on a "gold" mine....best wishes to you!!!

Oh, and MsMorrisine....my 4 coin proof set??? All PR70DCAM except for the 1/2 oz. $25!!!!!

You have my coin, pretty lady!!!!! image

GB
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I wish I had bought even more than I did too, I don't think I could ever own enough of these coins.image
  • Options
    It looks like on all of Ebay there is only 1 raw 4 coin gold buffalo set being offered for sale.

No 4 coin Proof sets and only 1 raw Unc. set.

IMO that is fairly amazing for something that the mint offered less than 6 months ago.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Wow. All the other denominations seem to be roaring along, too. Most surprising to me are the 1/2-oz unc coins since their mintages were a jump above the others. I'm not complaining, just surprised these are as strong as they are. I am also glad to see that coins in OGP are selling for more than slabbed 69s. I've never seen any point in slabbing any of these buffs, given the great presentations they came in and the high quality of the coins themselves.

Must be time for the Mint to re-offer the fractionals, just to put us in our places!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    I sold a full set of 70's DCAM a month ago for $4300. It appears they are edging upwards.image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i can only comment on the fact that the opinion the coin is a 70 and the
    fact that FS can still pull the wool over collector's eyes is astounding me.
    The money is still out there for silly purchases at inflated prices if you
    market it correctly to rubes.

who knew some coin collectors were this dumb?
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

You can also see a large quantity of unsold buy it now's at hyper inflated prices. I suppose it all depends on your point of view.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm holding on to my $10 & $25 PRDCAM'S PCGS for the long term.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I still have both of my sets (PR & UNC) raw. I haven't decided if I will get them graded or not. They sure look nice all togather in the mint box! Either way, I believe I will sit on them. No rush to sell them.

As for my graded singles, I might sell them if prices keep going up.
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like on all of Ebay there is only 1 raw 4 coin gold buffalo set being offered for sale.

IMO that is fairly amazing for something that the mint offered less than 6 months ago. >>

Yes, there seems to be a current shortage as MCM's typically large selection is dwindled down to one ot two offerings on their website so one can assume

others like me are in a holding pattern.....

Miles
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought as many as I possibly could, and I'm content to keep my "gains" as unrealized gains, until some future date when I might need the money.

I fully expect prices to back off over the next few years and then I expect price to remain strong from that point onward. Anything can happen, but unless the Mint does something to trash their potential - they will stay popular, in my opinion.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I sold my 4 coin unc.set a few weeks back for $4,800.00.All where 70's except the 25 which was a 69.Non f/s.Maybe i should have kept it a bit longer.
  • Options
    I'm holding on to my 3 MS $50 proofs; 3 PR $25; and a 4 MS coin set.
    Do not really have any intention of parting with them anytime soon.
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like on all of Ebay there is only 1 raw 4 coin gold buffalo set being offered for sale.

IMO that is fairly amazing for something that the mint offered less than 6 months ago. >>

Today......4-27-09 there are a grand total of 2 four coin sets being offered.

2- NGC 4 coin sets.

No PCGS sets nor any raw sets.

Remarkable................
  • Options
    Try to find a 2008-W Gold Eagle Proof $10......image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang... Thought I'd died and gone to the PM forum image
  • Options
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Okay, that is definitely crazy. The most common of the buffs in a common grade? Yeah, the label looks nice, but is it worth an extra two thousand?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dang... Thought I'd died and gone to the PM forum image >>

There is a point where bullion based coins move from a simple play on PM prices to items of true numismatic interest.

With the 2008-W Buffalo gold now trading consistantly at a 90-100% premium to base metal content I'd say these are now numismatic rather than PM items.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Dang... Thought I'd died and gone to the PM forum >>

There is a point where bullion based coins move from a simple play on PM prices to items of true numismatic interest.

With the 2008-W Buffalo gold now trading consistantly at a 90-100% premium to base metal content I'd say these are now numismatic rather than PM items.

The temptation always seems to be to sit back and take cheap shots at someone else's collecting priorities, especially when they are doing well. It speaks volumes about the speaker, eh? 'nuf said.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< Dang... Thought I'd died and gone to the PM forum >>

The temptation always seems to be to sit back and take cheap shots at someone else's collecting priorities, especially when they are doing well. It speaks volumes about the speaker, eh? 'nuf said. >>

Exactly Right!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    I wish all bullion coins were this beautiful!!!!!!

Look at these current eBay auctions..... TOP$$$$$

• Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    I just sold a $5 pcgs pr70dcam buff for $902 last weekend.
    That's right... the little 1/10oz $5 proof!
    3 day no reserve auction .99c start.

I know these coins are desirable but dayamm! image
    To top it off, another buyer that won a different coin wanted the same thing and was willing to pay the same price ($902) off eBay!
    Not to be too greedy I knocked off $50 since he is a repeat buyer.

And this is in a bad economy?
    Man I can't even imagine how much these would fetch in a good economy.
  • Options
    these things are selling like hot cakes. I have 2 MS sets that i am holding onto. i'll pick up a couple singles as i see fit to hold and flip in a few years.
  • Options
    Amazing stuff!

Hard to know where the top exists for these sets as there are no previous similarities in fractional gold or plat...a one year run does make it very interesting/unique and lucrative!

Miles

• Options
    Yup.
  • Options
    Maybe it is gold's price spike but I can't find a single raw 4 coin buffalo set in proof or unc being offered on ebay for less that $5,200! image
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe it is gold's price spike but I can't find a single raw 4 coin buffalo set in proof or unc being offered on ebay for less that $5,200! image >>

$5179 Unc set
  • Options
    I'm amazed that slabbed gets any premium over boxed! I didn't bother getting these graded because the boxes are so attractive - great to look at, hold, and display.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    $4127.00

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    I think they're very neat items! Too bad I wasn't able to get a set -- no danger of that now either, at the very high current prices. But, congrats to those with realized and (un)realized gains -- it's sure a good feeling. image
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    $1,250 for a raw $10 unc. image (not my auction)

edited to add: here's a SOLD for $10,000 graded proof set. image
  • Options

<< <i>$1,250 for a raw $10 unc. image (not my auction)

edited to add: here's a SOLD for $10,000 graded proof set. image >>

Gold content....1.85oz = $2050

That's a 400% return!!! imageimageimage

• Options
    imageimage no not mine, but ya gotta love this hobby.......image
  • Options
    Yeah Bully, and it only took one bid to win!!

Love the quarter ounce nickel look-alike..this $10 coin could have the greatest potential secondary to it's likeness to the original.

With the likelehood that the Proof Sets will remain largely originally intact, the rarity of the FS PR70 PCGS set could set new records in pricing...damn fun to watch, anyway!

Miles
  • Options
    I have one up for $8900 PCGS PR 70 with all OGP, and I keep just getting low ball offers...
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My kid sure is lucky he was born in 2008. He has some nice coins waiting for him.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I still think prices for these can double from here.

Not that I am being greedy or anything.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file