Home Metal Detecting

need advice about to clean or not to clean silver

I have a sterling silver cigarette case that belonged to my wifes grandmother (passed away in 1970) and it looks nasty. Inside is that golden tone that comes from years of nicotine and the oustside is that dark tarnish sterling silver gets on it . Wife said to sell it. Should I clean it or let the buyer clean it ?
I know this is a tad off topic of metal detecting but I do still go out with my Ace 250 .
Thanks for any guidance.
Molon Labe

Comments

• If it were a coin id say no do not clean it , a ciggie case id clean absolutely.
    Ill give an example from my own experience.I had some old collectable silver spoons from different places.
    I thought best not to clean them and put them on ebay , didnt even get a bid dude.I cleaned them up and tried again
    and got 10 bucks a pop and some went for more.Id definately clean it before trying to sell.

• << <i>Inside is that golden tone that comes from years of nicotine . >>

It's not nicotine. It is gold wash. Often seen on old sterling cigar and cigarette cases.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • I forgot to say , I'd polish it.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold wash on the inside and use 'Semi-chrome' to polish it. (non-abrasive)
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Does it have a design or initials? If so don't clean the patina out of the engraving.
  • imageHeres what it looks like .
    Molon Labe
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely clean it..... do not use a harsh abrasive. Use a silver 'dip' product. Cheers, RickO
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    if it was me... knowing i would never use it as it was meant.. i would
    leave it alone. you can always dip it at a later date.

but if you want it to look like the day it was made.... dipping is the way
    to go.

you own it. it is yours to do as you wish.
  • Wife said sell it so I wanted to know how it would bring the best price. Clean or tarnished?
    Molon Labe
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wife said sell it so I wanted to know how it would bring the best price. Clean or tarnished? >>

i would say leave it alone and explain in the auction that you did exactly that. it is unmessed with.

explain to them that if someone wanted it sparkling, like new, they
    could simply dip it in the right chemical.

but as always with antiques.. leaving it alone is the best play if you
    are unsure.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd leave it be. I like the "antique" look to it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wife said sell it so I wanted to know how it would bring the best price. Clean or tarnished? >>

With all respect to the serious collectors, but a proper answer to yuor wife.....shiney 'sheat' sells.
  • Thanks for all the advice guys. I wil probably leave it alone and put it on the bay as is .
    We are dealing with my mother in laws estate and her family never got rid of anything. So I have 5 generations of "stuff" in my house and storage sheds. Thats why the wife finally said " Get rid of some of this stuff."
    I kept all the coins but if anyone need a sonic jewelery cleaner contact me.
    Thanks again fellows.
    Molon Labe