Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

11/07 - Assorted Rips - Ripping Some Modern Wax Boxes Tonight

Comments

• Dacardworld was giving them away a few months ago with all orders over $100. I think they had them for sell for like $40. I think there are 2 autos per box with a chance at a Lincecum rookie auto.
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Yep what Bill said, two autos per box. Dice-K and Lincecum are key rookies. I paid $60 for this as an impulse buy. I may have to look for some more of this product. A fun break for a decent price. Hopefully some decent grades too.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

I wouldn't normally buy football this early in the season, since the rookies are all pictured in college uniforms, but I was curious what Panini's first football offering would look like. I purchased a few packs of 2009 Playoff Prestige and scanned some cards here in case you are curious as well. The Draft Pick rookies are numbered and the Panini logo only appears on the back of the cards:

Edit for grammar.

• Just bought 2 '07 SP Rookie Edition baseball boxes from DA on ebay w/Live disc. for $25 ea. !

They have 6 more at that price or get a case of 18 for $24 ea. OBO.
    imageimageimage

<< <i>Just bought 2 '07 SP Rookie Edition baseball boxes from DA on ebay w/Live disc. for $25 ea. !

They have 6 more at that price or get a case of 18 for $24 ea. OBO. >>

I know, I've been watching those too. Very tempting. I have some auctions ending tonight and may spring for a couple of boxes yet.

I went to the local shop today and decided to pick up a box of UD Series 2 Baseball since my son is building the complete Series 1 and 2 set from blasters and the extras I give him. The stated hit rate on the box is 2 memorabilia and 1 auto per box. After I had hit 2 jerseys and 2 autos in just 4 packs, I began to suspect this box was special and confirmed it on the next pack and every one thereafter. While none of the hits was huge, and I really haven't heard of many of these guys, it was still really cool pulling hit after hit. Here are the scans:

I also got a 20th anniversary buyback. Too bad it was Luis Polonia:

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Wow!! that is awsome. Is that a mistake from UD that there was a hit in every pack?

<< <i>Wow!! that is awsome. Is that a mistake from UD that there was a hit in every pack? >>

I've heard that UD will occasionally pack a "hot" box with a hit in every pack. I've gotten twice the hits a few times, but never a hit in every pack like this.

• I know who Michael Aubrey is. He's from right here in Shreveport and went to Tulane (I think).
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Why the hell would they "Buy Back" Luis Polonia?
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

<< <i>Why the hell would they "Buy Back" Luis Polonia? >>

Good question, though I'm guessing they bought every card in the '89 UD set and then stamped them with the 20th anniversary foil. Kind of like what Topps does with Heritage.

• EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    If you are interested in parting with the Smith and Gibbs autos, let me know. They're former LSUers.

Well, Gibbs is a current LSUer, but still.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    wow - great box!!

think someone over at FCB had the same luck

<< <i>wow - great box!!

think someone over at FCB had the same luck >>

Thanks Zep. What's FCB?

<< <i>If you are interested in parting with the Smith and Gibbs autos, let me know. They're former LSUers.

Well, Gibbs is a current LSUer, but still. >>

pm sent

<< <i>

<< <i>wow - great box!!

Thanks Zep. What's FCB? >>

Freedom Card Board

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>wow - great box!!

Thanks Zep. What's FCB? >>

Freedom Card Board >>

Thanks!

I went to the store today and picked up 2 boxes of the 2009 Topps Series 2 Jumbo Packs. Hopefully I'll have a complete Series 2 set after this, and then I can focus on the subsets (Turkey Red, Career Best Legends, Legends of the Game, Topps Town, WBC, Ring of Honor). If anyone else is working on this and the subsets, drop me a pm and maybe we can work out a trade.

Here are some highlights from the first box:

Box 2 highlights. Another Porcello, better than the first and potentially sub worthy some day. The Maddux SP has a really bad corner ding. May actually have to try to get a replacement from Topps. image

nice rip man. I'm interested in that Lester if it's available

got a bunch of dupes for trade of the inserts too

<< <i>nice rip man. I'm interested in that Lester if it's available

got a bunch of dupes for trade of the inserts too >>

He's available. PM sent.

• Feel free to send me a PM about the Maddux patch.

• << <i>Feel free to send me a PM about the Maddux patch. >>

I wish I knew you were doing those patches Bill.I just sold mine this morning.
    Mike
  • Didn't even know there were Maddux patches in the 09 Topps. Would have been buying boxes if I had known. Now I have to scour eBay for them.

<< <i>Feel free to send me a PM about the Maddux patch. >>

I had a feeling that one might catch your eye. Sending pm.

I've been kind of lazy and haven't scanned a box break in awhile. I picked up a box of the 2009 UD Philadephia Football today. Nice looking cards. I think the photos are sharp. It seems like every "throwback" issue has to have minis these days. There are also some political cards that I could care less about. The relic cards are kind of blah, but I pulled my second Lance Briggs auto in the last week. Here are the scans:

I also picked up a box of 2009 Topps Chrome baseball. I may rip that tonight or save it for tomorrow. Will try and add scans of it when I do.

• csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    rip rip rip!

<< <i>rip rip rip! >>

LOL, I'm so weak. I'm already ripping.

Nice cards - more on card ink is great

Supposedly Philadelphia has a huge auto list and they are all on card autos. Props to UD for putting in the effort to do so on this issue.

I need some help with this one. I think this may be a decent hit. It's a David Freese Red Refractor Auto RC #'d 22/25. He has a UD Icons auto #'d to 200 that is going for about $28.00 on eBay, so I would guess this would do a bit better. Is he a decent prospect?

Lot's of WBC cards, rookies, and refractors. The regular refractors like Dice-K are not numbered, but WBC refractors are #'d to 500. Blue refractors both regular and WBC are #'d to 199 and the gold WBC refractor is #'d to 50. Not much for "A-List" stars in this box. No Griffey, Pujols, Arod, Jeter, Ichiro. I have no idea who Ricky Romero is, but two autos per box, which is the stated odds, is cool.

looks like a great box - as any box with a Dice-K card is image

actually, I think both those autos are very good

I decided to pick up another box of Philadelphia today. I may try and put a set of these together. I did pull this nice mini auto RC of Michael Crabtree. I'd feel better about it if he was signed with the 49'ers already though. Here are the scans of the highlights:

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    whoa! nice.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - very nice pull!

I know what ya mean about the auto - but it's still really cool!

mike
    Mike
    I went to the local shop yesterday and picked up a couple of hobby boxes of 2009 Topps Chrome football for $70 each. Here's some of the highlights:

Star Power:

Rookies:

Football Stars Insert Set:

Copper Refractors #'d to 649. Also got a Courtney Greene RC (not scanned):

Red Refractor #'d 02/25:

This was one of the rookie autos I pulled. Not too bad:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I also pulled this guy. image

Stopped by the local card shop hoping that they had SPX Football in, but instead they had some new packs of Bowman Sterling. I decided to pick up 5 packs. 2 Jerseys and 1 Auto per pack on average. No big hits out of this rip. Here's what I pulled:

• I really like the design this year.The player content is so-so at best though.Absolute looks loaded this year.
    They did have some Absolute Memorabilia on hand. Probably should have passed on a pack or two of this and picked up some of that. Oh well, there's always next week.

• I hear you.I keep buying Jumbo boxes of Topps football for no good reason.
    Mike
  • Nice pickups.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Sanchez -- I missed it last time around.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Purchased a pack of 2009 UD Ballpark Collection and a box of 2009 SPX Football today. Scans to follow soon. First up the 2009 UD Ballpark:

Got some ink. Autos are inserted 1 out of every 2 packs. Anyone know much about Nolan Reimold? I'll throw the Yankees card on eBay. Hopefully it will do OK with the playoffs getting into swing.

2009 SPX Football has 10 packs per box with a "hit" in each box and 4 of those being autos.

Here's a scan of the base cards. Typical SPX type design, but I think they are pretty sharp. Not much star power in the box, but I did pull the one base card I really wanted - Warner:

The triple auto and the patch auto are rookies I've heard of, but not "A" listers. The triple SPX rookies are going to be tough in high grade. The foil is easily scratched as you can see here fresh out of the pack and of course the usual corner dings from the packing process. Not sure why they are using sticker autos with a "higher" quality product like this. image

On the other hand, I've never even heard of these guys. I wonder what Topps thinks about the term XFactor and how close it is to XFractor???