Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Matte Proof Lincoln Registry points are up!

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
Check out the Registry News. MPL's are up.
Doug

Comments

• Options
    LINK

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Doug
    I have a question.Since most Cameo coins are Red,do we get 1 point plus 1 point for Cameo added on.Total 2 points? When are they going to change the Registry sets to coincide with these?
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Will there be overlapping proof sets? That is, will there be one set for 1909 through 1942 and another 1936 through 1958? I assume there will also be one for 1959 to date. image
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Gerry
    According to David Hall there will be (3) sets.1909-1916,1936-1958,and 1959-present.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    It seems that PCGS continues to be confused about what they say and what they do. The weightings on the Matte Proofs are inconsistant with the weightings on the 36 thru 42 coins. Take a look at the pop numbers for each year of the Matte Proofs. Look at the brown, the red-brown and the red for each year and also the totals for each year. Then look at the numbers for 1936 thru 1942. Wouldn't you say there are SIGNIFICANTLY more coins slabbed from 36 thru 42 than there are for 09 thru 16 (the Matte Proofs). Also more of these coins MINTED than the Matte Proofs. Shouldn't the weighting reflect this? Isn't a 1912 Red Brown Matte Proof in PR64 worth more and should have more weight than a 1937 Red in PR64? What do you think?
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good questions. My *guess* is that the 36-58 proof set will offer NO bonus points for red, with varying points for CAM and DCAM. For instance, I would think that a 1936 PR66CAM (poking at David Hall here) should get significant Bonus points for the CAM, like 5, whereas a 1956 PR66CAM would get 1 for the CAM. I think the real trickery is whether 36-42 will get any points for RED, while you can expect that 50-58 will most certainly get no points for red.

In an e-mail a couple of months ago, I brought up the issue with David Hall that unless Mattes and the others were separated, you could have a group with six different levels ranging from brown to DCAM. To me, this was totally unmanageable, and obviously PCGS thinks so too. What I was surprised about was that a 1916 got weighted the same (5) as the 09 VDB. Try to pick up an 09VDB in 65 or better and see what happens.

Any of you guys with $24,500 in extra jack, head on over to David Hall's website and snatch that 1936 PR66CAM . . . (and we thought $17K was a cloudbuster)

Doug
    (figures lie, and liars figure)
    Doug
  • Options
    I just sent my comments in. I'm concerned that the bonus points and weights are not considered
    for the set as a whole, after all, Lincolns are a series. I collect Lincoln proofs as a series set, not
    as subsets. Breaking the sets up offers more opportunity for collectors to measure their sets
    against others, so I don't have a problem with that.

I multiplied out the bonus points and weights across the whole set and see some real problems.
    I'm going to add some $$$ figures in during the next few days and see if I can jiggle things into
    line.

David
  • Options
    If somebody knows how to attach a spreadsheet, PM me with your email address and I'll send it.
    The 1936CAM came out the highest valued cent in the whole series. By a very wide margin.image

David
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    TTT