Home Metal Detecting
Options

1899 Barber Dime

Here are some finds from last Friday at an old swimming hole. The 1887 Indian Cent will probably be an upgrade to one in my set....I'm still working towards trying to put together a set found with my detector.....though there'll probably be holes I never fill.
The 1899 dime is my first old silver in a long time. Nothing like turning over a plug of dirt and seeing an old coin. The old brass ring sure makes me wonder how often folks got ripped off a 100 years ago buying brass that was marked as gold.
"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs

Comments

• Options
    A real nice dime , i have access to an old farm with around 10 acres,mostly been scrap and foil so far but ive systematically cleaned the front and back yards of all the scrap , now im hoping to turn off disc entirely for better depth.
    Im not sure how old the property is , it seems to appear on 1886 maps/sketchings.
  • Options
    that ring you found is pretty interesting. You note that it is marked "18K" meaning that it was a counterfeit ring that somebody must have bought as real gold then lost. Very interesting. Great finds.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm bet that you had a good time at that spot and I'll bet that you will return.
  • Options
    Very nice finds.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Very nice finds. Wish I could take clear closeups like that.
  • Options
    Its not too difficult Davbec,set your camera kinda high resolution and use the macro function,easier than it might sound.
    When you do that , get a picture and upload it to your computer.It will most likely be in jpeg form,thats fine.
    Right click the picture and choose open with from the menu , choose paint , basically open the picture up in paint whatever way is easiest.
    In the pallete on the left you will see the cutting tool,looks like a box made of dotted lines.Practice cutting and saving.
    When the picture opens in paint it will be huge,opens in its true resolution.This has always worked well for me.
    Hope it helps.
  • Options
    Excellent finds!....Looks like you have yourself a great spot.....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super finds.... great site. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice grouping, WWIT.

I've been wanting a Barber dime for a while. Just knew I was gonna find one when I hunted a certain Victorian house last Sunday.

I didn't.

But I did find some other cool stuff. I'll have to post it later.

Edit to add- my first Barber dime was an 1899 in about that grade. It's what kept me going as a beginner, when I was about to quit the hobby for good from sheer discouragement. I'd hoped to maybe find a Wheat penny when I got the signal, and when that Barber dime popped out, I was hooked. It was just the encouragement I needed.

It's been several years since I dug a Barber coin, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.