Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there any natural (chemical) process that would turn silver into a golden-yellow color? [Images U

I recently purchased a coin that, as far as I know, was only minted in silver!
The item was described as having a "golden" colored skin on each side. I said "what the heck" and bought it anyway, as the type is somewhat difficult to come by in higher grades.

My question for all you chemists, metalurgists, etc. is: Is there a natural process that could turn ordinary silver into looking golden in color? image

I'd like to hold off on pics until I see what type of answers I get, then I'll post some pics image

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This doesn't directly answer your question, but I have an 1830 CBH in NGC AU58 that has such even gold toning that it resembles a gold coin. NGC slabbed it, so I assume that, in their opinion, such toning can occur naturally. It's in my SDB, so I can't offer any pictures at the moment.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got this yellow-gold 1832 CBH on hold with NorthEast Numismatics...not sure I will seal the deal until in hand.

• Options
    Yellows and golds occur throughout the natural progression of toning. In fact, a light yellow might be the first color encountered before turning to brown (in between this first yellow and brown could be called a golden color). After brown is a light blue, then another yellow which I think is brighter than the first yellow. But Sunnywood probably be able to clear this up or correct me. This toning progression is supposedly the result of the Silver reacting with Sulphur. What color shows depends on how long the Sulphur has reacted with the coin.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Well, I'm skeptical to call the surfaces on this coin "toning", rather it looks like a chemical reaction to what was suggested could be sulfur.
    I know the obverse is filled with glare from the light, so I've provided two close-up images which directly resemble the surface of each side of the coin; and they show two die cracks image

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    electroplate and circulate!

Spray paint?

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Urine? Maybe it was in a urinal for a hundred years. It could happen.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I'm skeptical to call the surfaces on this coin "toning", rather it looks like a chemical reaction to what was suggested could be sulfur. >>

That is what toning IS - the reaction of silver metal with sulfides to form a thin film of silver sulfide. If you apply sulfur powder to a silver coin, the result will not look yellow, rather the coin will be totally black (and badly damaged!) due to a much much thicker film of the stuff. (Don't do that of course - I have tried it once, as a chemistry experiment on a common silver round, it would ruin any collectible coin instantly.)

I don't know what else could make the metal color yellow, alloying the surface with gold would probably work, not that that is what happened here.

• Options
    I have many MS Peace Dollars that have a thick "Gold Skin" The composite make up of the planchets used for the later produced Peace Dollars promoted this type of toning. Most colorfully toned Peace Dollars are the early ones. Try to find a later date NT variable colored toned Peace Dollar. I'm not saying that they are impossible to find but they are difficult. I have a 28S that looks like it's real gold. To bad I can't take pictures worth a crap otherwise I would post a picture of it.
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Gold washed. A form of plating. It's wearing off.

Ray
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold washed. A form of plating. It's wearing off.

Ray >>

agreed.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    was the coin ex-jewelry?

it looks like solder on the leaf to the right of E in DIME

I could understand why it was done if it was a necklace or something

• Options
    The OP coin appears to have been plated, as it appears the plating is wearing off at the high points. In a separate thread, I will post a mini-dissertation on the occurrence and appearance of golds and yellows in naturally (and artificially) toned coins.

Sunnywood
  • Options
    Stone zoom your Dino in as close as you can on the field area, so we can see the metal flow.

Alan

Some thing like this

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your images pretty clearly display what a plated and warn coin can look like.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    As was previously stated as being the cause for such color on the surface of this coin, I feel I agree with the idea that this coin was plated.
    I don't know why this was done, who did it, or what they were trying to prove or pass off when the individual did this.

What I do know is that it is not ex-jewelry. All the rims and everything else is still intact. (I didn't post a reverse image because I couldn't get a clear shot.
    Therefore the "smudge" on the reverse is just an aspect of the reverse die wearing down and causing areas of the coin to look filled in rather than detailed.

Alan asked for a closer-up of the die flow of this coin, and that is what I will post below.
    Before I post the images, I did want to mention that I was skeptical of the authenticity of this piece at first due to the color, but after some assessing I believe the coin to be 100% genuine.
    The weight matches, the die flow looks proper, and you don't often get die cracks on counterfeit coins like you have with this piece.

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Looking through my collection I found these:

Both hold the same curious "gold" color...

These have seen their share of heat, which is what caused this silve to turn gold.

Ray
  • Options
    Stone has some cool die cracks on that coin, too bad it's been plated. It really is a shame.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not like the one Stone is showing but I've seen lots of yellow coins that were caused by 2x2s and sunlight for dealers who set up at flea markets or leave coins in store windows.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>was the coin ex-jewelry?

it looks like solder on the leaf to the right of E in DIME

I could understand why it was done if it was a necklace or something >>

That was my first thought....
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my first thoughts was also the 'Golden Dollar Collection'! The owner literally cooked those up in his kitchen in a frying pan IIRC.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    I'll go with the plating wearing off also. Seems I remember someone toning silver with bleach years ago and the coins coming out completely golden, but I can't be absolutely sure.

This article is a good read:

fake rainbow coins

As is this one, from where the first link came:

coin toning

john
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The OP coin appears to have been plated, as it appears the plating is wearing off at the high points. In a separate thread, I will post a mini-dissertation on the occurrence and appearance of golds and yellows in naturally (and artificially) toned coins.

Sunnywood >>

Will be looking forward to it image
  • Options
    yes there is image

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could show you a raw Morgan that is the color of urine, from having been dipped in a solution of liver of sulphur. Of course, that is not a natural process.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    There is a certain year Peace dollar that naturally tones yellow-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    I was an under-bidder on this one on Sunday night. I thought it was interesting.
    NGC MS67:
    edited to add the pic.
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    i`m with the worn plating crowd. smoeone way back when had access to a plating setup and played with it.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like plating to me, as well.

Here's some 200-year-old yellow toning, while we're on the subject:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It certainly appears to be worn plating. A flash plate on coins was very common some years back. They were used in belt buckles and as novelty items. That one has seen subsequent wear. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>I have many MS Peace Dollars that have a thick "Gold Skin" The composite make up of the planchets used for the later produced Peace Dollars promoted this type of toning. Most colorfully toned Peace Dollars are the early ones. Try to find a later date NT variable colored toned Peace Dollar. I'm not saying that they are impossible to find but they are difficult. I have a 28S that looks like it's real gold. To bad I can't take pictures worth a crap otherwise I would post a picture of it. >>

I am with him.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file