Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

L'AN 7/5-W Decime. Never heard of a 7/5-W before...

Got this piece today. She's a full Gem, with pleasing glossy luster and almost no contact marks at all. The pictures don't do it justice.

The piece is also clearly the 7/5 variety, but I'm only aware of this variety for Paris and Strasbourg. Is anyone aware of any other Lille examples of this variety?

imageimage

Comments

• Options

Yes F129.26 in Le Franc VI

An 7/5 W/A

Notes say 3 seen by the authors, 2 like your coin, and a third with Caudacus /Horn of plenty

see Decime 7/5 W/A C/HP

Super Coin

David
  • Options

<< <i>Yes F129.26 in Le Franc VI

An 7/5 W/A

Notes say 3 seen by the authors, 2 like your coin, and a third with Caudacus /Horn of plenty

see Decime 7/5 W/A C/HP

Super Coin

David >>

Wow. Thanks very much!
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That really is a great one! Nice surfaces (with a little character image ), great color and a strong overdate.. can't go wrong image

Looks like the set is moving along nicely, can't wait to see the next addition image
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know if this would be some breach of etiquette, but here are two 1st French Republics from my collection of Marianne heads.

imageimage

imageimage
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Got this piece today. She's a full Gem, with pleasing glossy luster and almost no contact marks at all. The pictures don't do it justice.

The piece is also clearly the 7/5 variety, but I'm only aware of this variety for Paris and Strasbourg. Is anyone aware of any other Lille examples of this variety?

imageimage >>

Just out of curiosity, how do you call this coin a "full gem" when it obviously has rub on the center of the head as well as on the forehead hair curls? And all this time I always thought grading standards were even more strict among darksiders!!!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I think he means more of a contact/mark-free surface, with no obvious signs of corrosion, as opposed to grade-wise "Full Gem".

But this is just my interpretation.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Got this piece today. She's a full Gem, with pleasing glossy luster and almost no contact marks at all. The pictures don't do it justice.

imageimage >>

Just out of curiosity, how do you call this coin a "full gem" when it obviously has rub on the center of the head as well as on the forehead hair curls? And all this time I always thought grading standards were even more strict among darksiders!!! >>

The luster's all there (in hand), and there's almost no contact marks. That's not rub either--early brown coppers typically looks "soft" on the high points. Also, she's got just a touch of PVC dust on the high points which might contribute to what you're perceiving as rub.

You can trust my grade on this one.
  • Options

<< <i>I do not know if this would be some breach of etiquette, but here are two 1st French Republics from my collection of Marianne heads.

imageimage
    >>

Let me know if that beauty ever gets put up for sale! A couple planchet flaws but a drop dead gorgeous strike and magnificent luster!
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A happy purchase from Richard Margolis at the the 2004 NYINC. I was putting together a selection of Marianne types at the time.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD