Home Metal Detecting
Options

First time out this year

Me and my cousin went to an old farmhouse.
I was using the Garrett ACE 250 and he a Whites coinmaster.
There was alot of junk in the ground, so I was using discriminate mode. This was the first time I used this feature and it worked quite well.
I don't know if it was luck or just a better detector, but my cousin found no coins?
Most of the coins were found in the same area,(A walkway leading up to the house)
I found what looks to be Merchant tokens for Dover Airforce Base, 2 Lincoln Cents , 4 Wheats 1940's, 1951-D dime,67' quarter,64 nickel, copper button, and some toys
Had a great time and need to get out more. If anybody knows about the button , please educate me. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    go back and dig all signals.you,ll get better stuff im sure.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Those toys date to the 1980s...I have one of those airplanes myself!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    Hello , i might be able to help ID the button , seems to be two buttons ? In the top picture there appears to be a button at 2oclock and in the bottem pic theres a button at 7oclock.
    Both appear interesting , one has the American eagle and anchor , obvious connections there.However that combination of insignia is very old and could date anywhere from the civil war to the present.
    Could you possibly provide close ups of the buttons and both sides please ?
  • Options
    The button at the top is actually a pencil lapel. It looks pretty modern.
    The button below looks to be copper. I also thought it may be of Navy origin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds.. what equipment were you using?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>The button at the top is actually a pencil lapel. It looks pretty modern.
    The button below looks to be copper. I also thought it may be of Navy origin. >>

Either Navy or Marines , they both have always had similar button motifs.Thats an interesting one.No markings on the reverse of any kind?
    I dont know if its time to get excited or not , ill leave that part up to you.

The earliest Navy button having both an eagle and foul anchor dates from 1797. In 1852 regulations stated that the anchor should be nearly horizontal. On May 14, 1941 the Navy ordered that the head of the eagle face its right side. Buttons made prior to that date generally face left.

Have a look at more modern navy buttons , which way is the bird facing as opposed to yours?