Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mormon Gold Exhibit not to be missed!

northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last weekend I had a stop over in Salt Lake City Utah. There is a 20 minute free shuttle one can take from the airport to Temple Square. After enjoying the no pressure brief Temple Square Tour, just head over across the street. There opposite the West wall of Temple Square is located one of the premier pioneer history museums in the country and admission is free. Included in the museum is a Mercantile exhibit describing the early monetary system used by the Mormon pioneers. For those with an interest in Territorial Gold the gold display contained in the Mercantile exhibit is not to be missed. Every denomination of Mormon Gold is on display along with almost all of the original dies and tools used to mint the coins. (In addition there are displays with all of the Kirtland notes and the script used for barter. Brigham Young's safe is there to view as well.) In any event here are some photos to share. Included are a few scenes from Temple Square itself evidencing the signs of Spring. I've also added a close-up of an 1849 $5.00 coin which was the first Mormon gold coin I acquired although the photographed one was sold and replaced.

Comments

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Felt like I was there from your photo's.

Thanks for sharing
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool - I want one of each. Never wanted to visit there - now I do. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you northcoin for the enlightenment. That's the "bestestest"
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    G.S.L.C.P.G = Great Salt Lake City Pure Gold

Only problem? It wasn't pure.

peacockcoins

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It looks like an interesting exhibit.

That "free shuttle" from the airport to Temple Square is more in the realm of a "free tour" as they call it. When you take that courtesy ride don't expect to be allowed to get dropped off and wander freely without solicitation or the requirement to attend a few "presentations".
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>G.S.L.C.P.G = Great Salt Lake City Pure Gold

Only problem? It wasn't pure. >>

Actually, the purity of various mintings of Territorial or Pioneer gold coins was of issue back in the mid 1800s and resulted in the melting of a significant number of coins which has simply added to the rarity of those remaining today. Here is an interesting link commenting on the phenomenon and also offering some excellent close-ups of some of the other Mormon Gold coins.

More Close-up photos of Mormon Gold coins

Here is an additonal link to the newly added PCGS Price Guide for Territorial Coins reflecting current values. (Regrettably, I see that my above pictured PCGS AU-55 1949 Five Dollar has more than doubled since I sold it in 2000.)

PCGS Price Guide for Mormon Gold
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the assaying done in SLC or Oregon in 1849 must have been necessarily fairly crude.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    All of the four denominations minted of the Mormon gold coinage was received at the Philadelphia Mint in 1849. One was illustrated in the 1849 publication by Eckfeldt and Du Bois in their book "A Manual of Gold and Silver Coins of All Nations...".

The announcement read in part, "In fineness they are about 889 thous., with little variation; and they contain only the native silver alloy. The weights are irregular, and the values are very deficient. The ten dollar piece has PURE GOLD, in full".

PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs

<< <i>All of the four denominations minted of the Mormon gold coinage was received at the Philadelphia Mint in 1849. One was illustrated in the 1849 publication by Eckfeldt and Du Bois in their book "A Manual of Gold and Silver Coins of All Nations...".

The announcement read in part, "In fineness they are about 889 thous., with little variation; and they contain only the native silver alloy. The weights are irregular, and the values are very deficient. The ten dollar piece has PURE GOLD, in full". >>

Thanks for finding that gem. Your numismatic research is always impressive.

<< <i>Thank you northcoin for the enlightenment. That's the "bestestest" >>

Thanks.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice thread and photos, thanks!

<< <i>Nice thread and photos, thanks! >>

Much appreciated.
    Interesting, I just learned that Kagin is coming out with the 2nd Edition of "Pioneer Gold Coins and Patterns of the United States" that should be available before the end of the year. Here is a link:

New Edition of Pioneer Gold Book Coming Out in 2009
    Here is a link to a thread started back in 2003 and commentary up to present with an extended discussion on the topic of Mormon Gold.

The "Mormon Gold" Thread
  • GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    Thanks for a highly informative, visually spectacular post!
    "Clamorous for Coin"

<< <i>Thanks for a highly informative, visually spectacular post! >>

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a link to a thread started back in 2003 and commentary up to present with an extended discussion on the topic of Mormon Gold.

The "Mormon Gold" Thread

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me try to make it a 'live' link.... Cheers, RickO
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/191564/mormon-gold/p1

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I visited that museum many years ago. As I recall it’s pretty cool.

• nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Nice pics and thanks for the heads up. I live in salt lake and I’ll have to go check it out

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file