Home Metal Detecting
Options

wildcard find...sort of. Old pipes picked up at flea market....

guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
I never found any of these things while relice hunting, so I was excited when I found these pipes at an antique flea market "field fair" this past Saturday. They were buried in a box of rusted metal, buttons, bullets, and just plain junk. The guy who sold them to me said he bought out his friends estate in Savannah after he died. His friend was an avid relic hunter and said these came from a dig in Savannah years ago.

They might not be the best in the world, but they were neat to find in the box. One of them has a neat Eagle on it that looks almost like the Eagle on the Reverse of the Capped Bust and Seated Lib coins.

What do you think is the value on these probably common pieces?

Sorry so many pics..........image

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Found this interesting dating chart:

J. C. Harrington's pipe stem diameter dating method dating pipe stems manufactured in England between 1590 and 1800.

Diameter Dates

9/64 1590-1620
8/64 1620-1650
7/64 1650-1680
6/64 1680-1720
5/64 1720-1750
4/64 1750-1800

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Comments

• Options
    Pretty cool...I like those....Great design and some are pretty old.

I made a video on some of the ones I have found over the years..

If you'd like to see it:

Video on Pipes and stems
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    There was a set of bowls that was on the Antique Roadshow not too long ago. Can't give the exact time or the guy who appraised them but I remember him entioning the size of the hole. The smaller the older. I'm certain if you zoomed the internet a bit you can find someone who can appraise them.

Cool pipes too. This thread gives a whole new meaning to "smoke a bowl"

Purple
  • Options
    I had to hunt for it...but here:

Dating Pipe Bowls and Stems

It's pretty accurate
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice clay pipe bowls..... for a while, in the fifties or so, you could get modern ones around St. Patricks Day... have not seen them in years. Those are interesting, with the patterns etc... Thanks for sharing.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Cool find's you made at the flea market.The plain one's are perty common
    but the one's with decoration on them are the one's people want.
    As for value I wouldn't know maybe DD can help with that.

HH,Tom
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are great old pipe bowls. I've only found two intact ones in my diggin' days, and one of mine was later (Civil War era). Those are earlier- between the Rev War and the first half of the 1800s, I would say.

<< <i>One of them has a neat Eagle on it that looks almost like the Eagle on the Reverse of the Capped Bust and Seated Lib coins >>

That's 'cause it's from the same time period! I've found some small fragments of one like that, and lamented that it wasn't complete.

I can make out a pretty clear "GLASGOW" mark on one of them. The one with "T D" is a fairly well known maker, I believe- I think one of my books might say who that was.

Pipe stem fragments are pretty common on colonial and antebellum sites around here (though of course you need to find a "naked dirt" site that's been plowed up to spot them, usually). But intact pipe bowls are much less common- they usually got crushed in the ground. I've found fragments of bowls, but like I said, only two intact bowls up to this point.

Nice finds, even if you weren't the one to have dug them!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.