Home Metal Detecting

anyone know...

hit an old cementary today which only has about 30 graves but dates back to 1800,s with civil war soldiers.but i dug a medalian up that looks like a pendent until i cleaned it up and it says cowboy philosopher will rogers 1879-1935.dont have pics but i was hoping someone would know this piece.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a vintage token or medal from around the time he died (1935). Maybe it was a Cracker Jack prize or radio show premium.

A worthy find- not likely to be worth a lot of money, but definitely a "keeper"! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Why would you want to dig in a cemetary? Seems kinda...... morbid
  • not morbid at all.and i have rules when i dig there.like stay away from headstones and work the outside.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah the eternal discussion surfaces again.. to dig or not dig in cemetaries... One thing for sure, the dead don't care. If they are very old and abandoned, neither do the living. That being said, many people become enraged at the mere mention of such a practice. To them, the dead are still alive.... very interesting .... Cheers, RickO
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Not to stir up or rehash a subject that we all have our opinions on, but I do think that one should NOT hunt a burial ground. That is my opinion and I realize that everyone is entitled to there own on this subject. I personally am not very religious, so to speak, but I do respect the aspect of a sacred ground. Most of the things you will find in a cemetary are going to be things that the dead's loved ones placed on or near a grave. So, basically not lost. I liken the searching of a cemetary as grave robbing. If you were caught doing that to an indian mound you would be prosecuted. I think that the general public would consider it the same way if one was caught doing it in an abandoned cemetary. Why don't one just take the gravestones along with it. You guys do what you want or think how you want, but I call cemetaries off limits as I would bet that most do. And don't go crying if you get caught doing it because majority rules when it comes to decide whether it is moral or not. If you do not think that same way then so be it.

• << <i>Not to stir up or rehash a subject that we all have our opinions on, but I do think that one should NOT hunt a burial ground. That is my opinion and I realize that everyone is entitled to there own on this subject. I personally am not very religious, so to speak, but I do respect the aspect of a sacred ground. Most of the things you will find in a cemetary are going to be things that the dead's loved ones placed on or near a grave. So, basically not lost. I liken the searching of a cemetary as grave robbing. If you were caught doing that to an indian mound you would be prosecuted. I think that the general public would consider it the same way if one was caught doing it in an abandoned cemetary. Why don't one just take the gravestones along with it. You guys do what you want or think how you want, but I call cemetaries off limits as I would bet that most do. And don't go crying if you get caught doing it because majority rules when it comes to decide whether it is moral or not. If you do not think that same way then so be it.

Have to agree , if it isnt illegal which it probably is , it should be.

• << <i>Not to stir up or rehash a subject that we all have our opinions on, but I do think that one should NOT hunt a burial ground. That is my opinion and I realize that everyone is entitled to there own on this subject. I personally am not very religious, so to speak, but I do respect the aspect of a sacred ground. Most of the things you will find in a cemetary are going to be things that the dead's loved ones placed on or near a grave. So, basically not lost. I liken the searching of a cemetary as grave robbing. If you were caught doing that to an indian mound you would be prosecuted. I think that the general public would consider it the same way if one was caught doing it in an abandoned cemetary. Why don't one just take the gravestones along with it. You guys do what you want or think how you want, but I call cemetaries off limits as I would bet that most do. And don't go crying if you get caught doing it because majority rules when it comes to decide whether it is moral or not. If you do not think that same way then so be it. >>

+1
    Its all relative

• << <i>Most of the things you will find in a cemetary are going to be things that the dead's loved ones placed on or near a grave. So, basically not lost. >>

During the 19th century, graveyards were places of public recreation.
    Victorian garden cemetaries sprung up across the US, and were inviting spots for a weekend picnic or family gatherings.
    Over time this practice became frowned upon. (likely a caretaker got tired of picking up the trash)
    Today most places clearly prohibit recreational use in their rules.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage