Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Andy Skrabalak tells the story of Angel Dee's

66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
I had the pleasure of hearing this story from Andy first hand a few years ago, I thought it was a great story and it shows you what thought was put behind the name 'Angel Dee's'.

On the PCGS homepage

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just played it, great story.
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    Just played it too...All I can say that Andy is a classy human being!

I hope to meet him in person at the Philadelphia show in September.

image Andy, thanks for sharing your story!
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    WOW
    Speechless here.
    Thank You for the link
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a tissue.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    What a great great story.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I need a tissue. >>

Pass me one as well. Awesome story.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    What a wonderful sister. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story. He didn't say if he still had the set of Lincolns, but I suspect the answer is yes.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    That was a very nice story.

They didn't do too good of a job showing the business card in the video, so I just pulled the one out of my desk here to take a better look at it.

I met Andy at the TNA in Ft. Worth but it just wasn't that good of a show for him. I don't think he has made that one in a couple of years.

Mike
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I always make a point to stop by the AngelDees table at LB, always a friendly face to say hi to and always willing to give an honest opinion. Andy is a class act.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story! Andy is certainly one of the good guys. I've bought a few coins from him and sold a few to him...each deal was smooth and easy. If I were buying key date Lincolns again, he would be my dealer. In fact, I lingered a bit at his table recently in Baltimore admiring and thinking about pulling the trigger on a high grade 55 DDO.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always make a point to stop by the AngelDees table at LB, always a friendly face to say hi to and always willing to give an honest opinion. Andy is a class act. >>

I agree 100%. Very fair when buying or selling. I always wondered about the name of the company and now I know, great story. image

Edited to add 2 of my favorite coins, both purchased from Andy:
    imageimage
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy and Alynne are good people.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Great story (and a great story teller)
    hands down the best Lincoln dealer out there.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Touching story. They're good people for sure.
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    GREAT STORY. Loved it, Thanks.
  • Options
    awesome way to remember a sibling.

• Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Really great story!
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy tears up when he tells that story. I felt honored when he told it.

• Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Nice people...always one of the dealers you want to stop by and see at a show.
  • Options
    He told me alot of that, without so much detail, probably 8-10 years ago. He's an awesome guy. WTG Andy - Dorothy has always been proud of you!
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story . .

Just bought my first Indian from him at Portland . . . had no idea of the story at that time. Great!

Drunner
  • Options
    Good ol' Andy! He's in my area so I get to see him all the time. He is one of the most outgoing and enthusiastic people I have met and it's always a good time talking to him.
    For those that don't know, I am starting pharmacy school in the fall. image
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story and great person. I count myself as so, so, lucky that they are in my back yard and see them at local shows on darn near a monthly basis.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always liked Andy's coins.

He is a good guy too.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    knightemknightem Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    What a great story! That explains their "logo" of the white clouds on the blue background on his site and on his business card! I don't post much, but I thought Andy should get a shameless plug for his website: www.angeldees.com
    It's nice that PCGS thought enough to post this.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great story! and a great sister.
  • Options
    Wow brought back a lot of memories. Some good nad some not so good. Thank you though for sharing.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options

Thanks for pointing out the story. I would have missed it. Always wondered about the name.
  • Options
    JustMakesCentsJustMakesCents Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Andy is definitely one of the best in the business.

I met him a few years back in Ft. Worth. I was at a convention on the other side of Dallas and had driven over for the show, but forgot my checkbook. I selected a $2200 coin and offered to give him $200 cash to hold the coin. I would mail him a check when I got home and he could mail me the coin. He took my $200, handed me the coin and told me to just mail him a check when I got home. Pretty amazing since he had just met me. He must be a really good judge of character because he got a customer for life.

(I'm not sure he would want me sharing this story, but hopefully everyone understands this is not his normal business practice!)

Jeff
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    A real human being. As honest as it gets.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    After meeting Andy at a small show in N. Virginia, not surprised by the history behind Angel Dee's. Super person with some amazing knowledge and alway's willing to share it. I also had the opportunity to meet Wayne Herndon at the same show. Wayne is also top notch!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That video was well worth the time. Thanks.

You can tell it was shot on the floor of a big bourse- the echoing background noise and conversation brought back the "big coin show" feeling for me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story. That must have been a really nice cent collection that he collected out of rolls if it was worth $25,000 at the time of his sister's death.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy stories like that. I will get a lift all day from watching that.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Whenever I attend the spring and fall Baltimore shows I make it a point stop at Angel Dee's to say hello to Andy. He is, as many have said, one of the great people in the coin business, and I considered myself privileged when he shared the Angel Dee story with me a few years back. And Illini42, I almost did a double take when I saw your 1909 Lincoln and Indian cents. I have bought a 1909 matte proof and a 1909-S Indian from Andy, and I swear they look exactly like the ones you have, only difference is the missing "S". At the most recent Baltimore show I bought a beautiful full band Mercury with champagne toning from Andy.image
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Andy has the best "eye" of any IHC/Flying Eagle Cent dealer I know, and I've collected a lot of coins in both series over many years. If he says a coin is exceptional then you can be sure it is. I love Angel Dee's coins and Andy is always thoughtful, helpful, patient and great fun to be around. He is an honest dealer who stands behind his coins. Andy is the BEST!!!image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I need a tissue. >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Not only an amazing story from a sister that had a very keen insight
    saving those coins for so many years not telling him,
    the brother she loved so very much, the tears welling up in his eyes can`t
    completely cover the emotions he must have felt at the time finding the
    coins and reading the note...that day they both had been kissed by an Angel...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have dealt with Andy also.......he is one of the good guys as someone put it.image
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I met him at the Santa Clara show. Those are some fine, beautiful coins in his display cases! You know, the "I don't normally collect liberty nickels, but that set of them right there might change my mind!" display case.

And some mind blowing pastel indian nickels.

I observed quite a few nice proofs, one was a 3CS that looked very interesting under the light but was probably a bear to photograph.

I wasn't really in the mood for US Coins during this show, and I guess i'm happy with my original plan and its results. But when I went by this table, I was saddened that I had not prepared myself for purchasing some US coinage.

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Great story. I've been aware of them but have never bought from them. It's good to see so much + forum feedback. Thanks for posting the PCGS link. I'll definitely keep an eye on their offerings imageimage
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    As I have told Andy, he is one of the most important reasons that I'm glad to be a Lincoln collector; otherwise, I might never had had the opportunity to meet him!

• Options
    Andy shared this story at the Coppers Forum sponsored by PCGS at their annual luncheon at this year's summer ANA.

Wow, was I impressed.
    Garrow
  • Options
    Anyone collecting Indians or Lincolns right now should count themselves lucky that we have the classiest dealer out there dealing in the coins we like to collect. I can't believe I had never asked Andy about the origin of the name. I'm glad he he shared it with all of us.
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    I think Andy's the real deal, but Allyne is worth a trip to the coin show to see. Absolutely as nice and honest as they come and I'm glad to see them get recognized here.

Back in the later 90's out of college I tentatively began buying slightly better lincolns, most all of them for Andy. 4/5 of my very favorite coins still in my collection came from him back then. And those that I've chosen to sell, all were very profitable ten years later allowing me to move into coins closer to my current interests. Now I joke that their business and coin quality has grown so fast that I can no longer afford to buy coins from their display (not quite true because they have an "under $100 case) Some of the best eyes for grade and for eye appeal/color out there.
    Jeff
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beautiful testimony. Not for coin, money, business or fame... but for the love.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's a real class act and someone a Lincoln collector should consult from time to time...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file