Home Metal Detecting

Funny First Time Story

I borrowed my brothers Metal Detector (White brand, not sure what model) over the winter and went out to a lake here in Phoenix, AZ to do some detecting. Lots of people go to the lakes here and do some serious partying. So I thought we'd see what they left at the party sites.

My wife and I took turns scanning and digging and it was my turn to dig. My wife detected something that indicated it was about 6 inches deep. So I took a small shovel and carefully started to remove layers of sand/dirt. Got down about 4-5 inches and plunged the shovel in one more time to pull some more dirt out and hit an aluminum can full of beer that exploded everywhere, spraying foul, fermented beer all over us. What a find, huh. Someone must have buried it , for reasons unknown.

Anyway, I kept the aluminum cans I found for recycling later and we actually did find 13 pennies and 1 dime and a piece of copper tubing at some of the sites. All-in-all, it was just a fun day at that lake.

This was my first and only time I've ever gone metal detecting, and it was definetly an experience I'll remember. However, it hasn't deterred me, I think it's something I might like to try again in the future.

Comments

• Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Not to get gross or anything but a forum member found something that stunk really bad too.

He had a signal so he started digging. He found what he was after but something was attached to it.

the item was a dog tag and yes it was still attached LOL

PURPLE!

*I tried to be subtle , it is pretty gross*

• carscars Posts: 1,904
    haha, Funny story.

Hope I don't run into any of those dog tags ewww
    Its all relative
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it's something I might like to try again in the future. >>

I know who found the dog. It was in my hometown, in a park I hunted quite frequently. Luckily he is a better and more persistent detectorist than I am, or it would've been me who found ol' Fido.

The dead dog wasn't all he got outta that park, though. He also dug a very nice colonial coin- a 1783 Nova Constellatio copper, if I remember correctly. And I have done well in that park over the years.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • remember when metal detecting patience pays off sooner or later.........the valuables come in time but the day at the lake with your wife is priceless.unless you were fighting and arguing...lol
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that goes into the archive of funny experiences... not so funny with the dog though - yik. Cheers, RickO