Home Metal Detecting

The Hansborough Ridge Coin Purse

I've been following this series of videos on YouTube pertaining to a coin purse found in Hansbrough Ridge, VA. I won't give away all of the dirty details, but suffice it to say that this is the find of a lifetime. If you just want to see the coins, skip to parts 3-5, part 4 and 5 being the most coin-packed.

Unpacking Part 1
Unpacking Part 2
Unpacking Part 3
Unpacking Part 4
Unpacking Part 5

There's also a series from the finder of the purse about the steps he took post-excavation. These a just short little updates on the progress of the purse.

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3 & 4

And here's the original video SCdigger posted about the coin purse

Coin purse video

Pretty neat, huh?
To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Way cool

That was alot of money back then
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that.. posted on another forum I belong to. What a find. I do think they dragged it out way too long... but in the end, it was an amazing find. Cheers, RickO

• << <i>I saw that.. posted on another forum I belong to. What a find. I do think they dragged it out way too long... but in the end, it was an amazing find. Cheers, RickO >>

Not only did they drag the videos out way too long, they delayed posting them for several days, and several hours in between each video to create suspense. That was distasteful in my opinion, but now that they're all posted I'm excited to see it all unpacked.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice of them to just post the pics with a caption.
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    While that is a great! great! find, I can't deny that.

Anyone on this forum an Archeologist? Hmmm, I don't think so?

We are scavengers, coin hounds , relic hunters and hobbyists. Video Taping this find was needed but, to drag it out into 5 stages was way too long. The questions in the first 2 videos are totally BS worthy. Yes, it's good to hear about where, how and what machine was used to find it. The "what does this mean to you" and questions of the like were not needed. Another thing that kind of struck me funny is it was all seriousness toward "History" and "Archeology" but towards the end of video 5 the people had a set of these in thier eyes.

------->$$$$$$$$$$<---------

Don't need to be dramatic. You need to be true to what you do and who you are.

Purple
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While that is a great! great! find, I can't deny that.

Anyone on this forum an Archeologist? Hmmm, I don't think so?

Eh, I got close! I have a degree in anthropology.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • carscars Posts: 1,904
    Wow, That would be a super find. I don't understand why he was so gentle pulling the coins out with toothpicks then slam them onto the side of the metal container lol
    Its all relative
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is that finds like a Bust half always go to the folks who are dumb enough to refer to it as an "1831 Busted half?" Aaargh!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>Why is that finds like a Bust half always go to the folks who are dumb enough to refer to it as an "1831 Busted half?" Aaargh! >>

I noticed that too. When he said it, I immediately thought that these people don't know coins that well.
    It looks as though the person who typed the titles on those videos was functionally illiterate. I mean, there was one place I saw they'd spelled "they" as T-H-A-Y, or something like that.

Still, I must admit that was a very impressive find, and the videos were neat. It's probably smallminded to be nitpicky about stuff like spelling.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordM, in my opinion, if one is going to go the the lengths they did with the video's, (unnecessary, IMO) one could at least spell things correctly... not nitpicking at all..... Cheers, RickO
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I'd have had that purse opened in less than 10 seconds with all the coins seperated.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Tyler Hansbrough should lay claim to it image
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I found the frame to a change purse, but the bag part was gone and there wee no coins around in the immediate area.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>Wow, That would be a super find. I don't understand why he was so gentle pulling the coins out with toothpicks then slam them onto the side of the metal container lol >>

My thoughts exactly! All that gentle care only to rap them on the edge of the metal bowl. image

• << <i>I found the frame to a change purse, but the bag part was gone and there wee no coins around in the immediate area. >>

Someone pulled the ten second coin separation on you...image
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    ...not to mention sliding those coins - especially the gold - around on that muddy, gritty cloth.

<< <i>I found the frame to a change purse, but the bag part was gone and there wee no coins around in the immediate area. >>

That happened to me, too, on the sidewalk strip in front of the oldest surviving house in town. You can bet I was frantically searching all around it!