Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should PCGS include "Genuine" Coins in the Population Reports?

?
Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    No, it should be a non-category. Did they ever include body bags? Same thing.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well since they can be added to registry sets, I think they should report a pop.

could be very helpful to know how many "genuine" coins are out there if trying to complete a set and willing to take a "genuine"

would also be interesting information on very low mintage coins such as early proofs.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they slab them, they should be in the pop report. It would be interesting to see how many problem key date coins there are in some series where there are a lot of problem coins (e.g. 1793 and 1799 large cents).

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the coins exist? If so, then they are part of the population and should be counted.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes... no question

Why?

I believe it will add some helpful thought as to the percentage of key dates that for whatever reason can not be graded

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Yes... no question

Why?

I believe it will add some helpful thought as to the percentage of key dates that for whatever reason can not be graded >>

• Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    I think it's a good idea, BUT one point of note-- how many "Genuine" coins are
    going to get cracked out for resubmission?

This could alter the numbers quite a bit if it's done on a large scale.
    It would be great if everyone returned the labels after the fact, but
    how often does that get done?
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

...for all the good reasons already stated (and for none of the bad ones).
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Please add them PCGS.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, of course. It would be ridiculous NOT to include them. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is very important to research. It would be nice to know especially for coins with small populations.

They should track the genuine coins by genuine code, i.e. how many are cleaned, bent etc...
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, it is very important to research. It would be nice to know especially for coins with small populations.

They should track the genuine coins by genuine code, i.e. how many are cleaned, bent etc... >>

I like this Idea.

The biggest problem I see will be the accuracy of the numbers. The Genuine holders are going to have the highest crackout and resubmission rates of any holder.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, it is very important to research. It would be nice to know especially for coins with small populations.

They should track the genuine coins by genuine code, i.e. how many are cleaned, bent etc... >>

I like this Idea.

The biggest problem I see will be the accuracy of the numbers. The Genuine holders are going to have the highest crackout and resubmission rates of any holder. >>

Maybe but that kind of thing is considered for the high end coins that have been submitted a dozen times as well.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I agree, I think they should be included. I recently sent in 2 Matte Proof Lincolns, both of which were slabbed Genuine, and I think it is important to include them in the Population. Not only MPLs, but for any key dates, or coins with low populations. I hope PCGS is listening....

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. They should be in the Pop reports.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but in a small ugly font.

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. In addition to all the good reasons listed above, it might give us an intersting picture of which series or individual coins have more problems than others.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course PCGS could apply the Barry Bonds rule. Add an asterick.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I like this Idea.

The biggest problem I see will be the accuracy of the numbers. The Genuine holders are going to have the highest crackout and resubmission rates of any holder. >>

The numbers have absolutely no basis in reality anyway. Why should this change simply because genuine holders are cracked out but still counted?
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I sent a similar request to the Q & A Forum a couple of weeks ago. So far, no response. Steveimage
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    No, they should not.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file