Home Precious Metals

Fort Knox

Fox news just reported that a Ct. man has filed a freedom of information action to get an independent audit of the amount of gold in Fort Knox. This would be the first independent audit in 50 years.

Interestingly enough, the only online newspaper to run the story is The London Times:

GATA
Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

Comments

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he's willing to pay for the audit independently, maybe they'll let him do it. By the way, what is the value of gold painted bricks? I could use a few for my chimney.

And for the record, I'm not that CT man that filed the FOI request. Though I would be happy to volunteer a few days of my time to help with the audit. image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what kind of outrage people will have if/when they learn that the vault is empty and/or the gold has long since been sold off.
    I can't see them allowing an independent audit.
  • konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I can't see him making it back to the main gate after he finds out there is no gold left.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder what kind of outrage people will have if/when they learn that the vault is empty and/or the gold has long since been sold off.
    I can't see them allowing an independent audit. >>

History repeating itself...shades of the 70's ...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • If he can afford it, more power to him. I remember one FOIA request on the boards lead to a bill to be paid before the information was released. I imagine an independent audit of Fort Knox would not be cheap.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    In the 1990s several members of Congress who had questioned the contents of the Ft Knox Bullion Depository were given a tour and could go wherever they wanted and handle (with gloved hands) bars of gold, etc. No discrepancies were identified.

To do a vault audit - involving the breaking of vault seals - would require a physical count of everything in the opened vault by multiple people. It would be enormously expensive, time consuming and ultimately "prove" nothing to those who claim the vaults contain cat poop not gold.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was there an audit in 1974 (when Eva Brooks was photographed next to a gold stack of bricks inside the vault)? Or was that just a photo op?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.