Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much do you trust other forum members here?

Seems to be a trusting and caring group here, generally speaking. The BST forum seems to be remarkably free of scams, all things considered. So how many of you would loan me 100 grand without thinking twice? (no this is not a solicitation)

Comments

• Options
    I trust that most members here will follow through on their word. If I had $100,000 to spare, I'd think about loaning it to you.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    All but about three members..image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you part of the circle of trust?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

take a check......image
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I trust that most members here will follow through on their word. If I had $100,000 to spare, I'd think about loaning it to you. >>

I have sent several high dollar ( to me ) coins out on approval to a board member, and another ( my you-suck coin ) on the same terms.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> So how many of you would loan me 100 grand without thinking twice? (no this is not a solicitation) >>

I like you, but there's 0% chance I would loan you $100k.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Maybe that's a better way to put it...how many of you would send me an ultra-rarity on approval?
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    As a general rule, I have found that the Forum Members that have

been around for a while ,are more trustworthy then the National average.

However, trust is something that must be earned over a long period of

time. Mere membership on the Forum , is not in itself an automatic badge

of assurance. However , since I joined the Forum in 2002, I have never

had anything but honorable and pleasant dealings with Forum members.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>As a general rule, I have found that the Forum Members that have

been around for a while ,are more trustworthy then the National average.

However, trust is something that must be earned over a long period of

time. Mere membership on the Forum , is not in itself an automatic badge

of assurance. However , since I joined the Forum in 2002, I have never

had anything but honorable and pleasant dealings with Forum members. >>

See that's what I'm saying... I've made probably 500 BST transactions here in 2 years...all have been splendid

Can't say the same about ebay though
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    There is a circle?...why don't I know about the circle?...you guys have been keeping me out haven't you? Can I be in it...please oh please, please plllllllleeeeease.image
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

That made me laugh out loud image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been here two years less than Bear but my luck has not been that good.
    Yes someone tried to scam me and only with help from other members and gettting the law involved did I finally get my coins I had paid for.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All but about three members..image >>

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only had positive experiences with the BST.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you part of the circle of trust?image >>

Damn, beat me to it. Sorry RYK. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    I have hopes there will be a feedback forum.

A member id will be the title of each thread. Each person that completes a transaction will be entitled to a single post on the thread (per transaction).

Then when you want to conduct a BST transaction with a forum member, you can see some reviews from past customers (or sellers).

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably now, generally speaking, money would have to be in hand before shipping a coin. Some of the members that are still here from years ago I probably trust more than some of my relatives.

Ken
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    I trust people most people on here but also agree with Bear about trust being earned.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    everytime i sent my money to a forum member they have honored the deal. everytime i have been sent money by a forum member i have
    honored the deal.

everyone i have dealt with offers a return policy unless stated.

on larger deals i ask for references.

no one here wants to be known as a scammer. sure, some people may not like me or what i say, but i would never break a deal.
    I expect this goes for everyone here also. Well the people who have
    been around longer and post often.
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

Some of the members that are still here from years ago I probably trust more than some of my relatives.

Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>everytime i sent my money to a forum member they have honored the deal. everytime i have been sent money by a forum member i have
    honored the deal.

no one here wants to be known as a scammer. sure, some people may not like me or what i say, but i would never break a deal.
    been around longer and post often. >>

FC, you bring up a great point. There are several members here who would like to see me disappear. And there are several that I dont care much for either. But when it comes to business, I can put opinions aside and handle thing VERY professionally.
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

<< <i>everytime i sent my money to a forum member they have honored the deal. everytime i have been sent money by a forum member i have
    honored the deal.

been around longer and post often. >>

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I've been posting here for 3 years now. I've had one BST recently, purchasing yellowkid's copy of Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins.

A couple of years ago I had a satisfying trade with TorinoCobra71 in a Swap hosted by Boom.

Other than that I've had 90+ successful transactions on eBay, including one with our very own Russ here.

I "trust" that if someone posts up a BST that they will come thru with their commitment to perform on their end, if I do. However, I've read a number of threads on these boards where one side failed to live up to the bargain. Obviously, I've read much more about unscrupulous Sellers/Buyers on eBay than here. So I always approach both venues with a wary eye. And reputation is a significant factor in how much I wish to risk on any transaction. Because the members here are more familiar than outside our group, I expect I trust a CU member much more than any one from the eBay community or elsewhere.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason I feel a greater sense of trust here than anywhere else in the numismatic industry. I have completed relatively few BST transactions, but I do believe once you read and study someone's posts and responses you get a pretty good feel for who and what they are.

As some out there are aware, I have no use for eBay, but I would buy and sell on the BST with nary a care . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Damn, beat me to it. Sorry RYK. image >>

Don't worry. He does not know about the inner circle. image
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> So how many of you would loan me 100 grand without thinking twice? (no this is not a solicitation) >>

I like you, but there's 0% chance I would loan you $100k. >>

I would trust what Mike says. image
    ED
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several members here that I would send a 4 figure coin prior to payment without hesitation.
    Likewise they have done the same with me.

Now 100 grand......image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long do you want the $100k and what are you paying in interest?

As far as trust goes, I trust everyone. Not just the circle but the world as well. I get
    burned once in a while. My wife trusts nobody. Makes for a good team. I trust, she
    distrusts and we wait for the payment to clear!

But, don't tell her, but I've shipped coins before receiving payment off the BST board sales.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Damn, beat me to it. Sorry RYK. image >>

I never realized you guys were attached at the hip that long ago....

edited to add
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.........circle of trust, is that anything like the .... LIST?image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Circle of Trust...
    Have you seen them?
    Which way did they go?
    I must find them!
    I am their leader....
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is not a person on this planet I would loan $100K without at least thinking twice about it.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

..........sounds like someone might be looking for a bail out.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    There is someone here that I trust enough to have arranged to have them handle the selling of my coins for my family (who think my hobby is strange) in the event of my death. I am 100% certain it would be done in a manner that would make me happy.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the old codgers here, maybe we should also have a Circle of Rust.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe that's a better way to put it...how many of you would send me an ultra-rarity on approval? >>

I don't have any 'ultra rarities" in my collection to sell, but I would have no hesitation sending any of my coins to you (or any other prominent board members) provided you can give me a good set of references.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of them scare me. It appears I do the same to many image
    I'll never offer to help get a proper grade again image
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had few dealings with members, and everyone has been very smooth and problem free. I would have no problem shipping a coin to most members for them to look at and decide if they wanted it.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With all the old codgers here, maybe we should also have a Circle of Rust.image >>

I represent that remark!image

I may not be as good as I once was,
    but I'm as good once as I always was.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send me 200K in coins and we'll talk. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Had alot of BST deals,and no problems.......Sold a UHR to forum member goldman86 but wants coin shipped first.....Seems OK..any "flags" before I decide.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Had alot of BST deals,and no problems.......Sold a UHR to forum member goldman86 but wants coin shipped first.....Seems OK..any "flags" before I decide. >>

anyone who asks for the coin to be shipped first immediately goes
    on my suspect list, sorry to say.

unless of course the agreement was on review but that is normally
    reserved for repeat buyers.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've sent coins first, to established dealers and a few others, but, if I am selling, I usually want the money first, unless I know the person from the board.
    Haven't been hosed yet. Though, I did have some "tuition" with a few coins from folks when i was new here (only seemed to be a couple and only people that ONLY went to the BST and never came to the USCF or any other forum).

I've done deals for $10-$5000+ and no problems with checks/coins. I have had, both sending and receiving, delays of upwards of 2-3 weeks or more for checks to arrive. Sometimes it seems the USPS sends them around the world in 80 days before delivering them image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I would say by just observing a lot of the poster's replies to questions asked here, I feel I can trust a lot of them. I had one recent transaction on the currency board of a seller selling some silver certificates and after I sent him a pm telling him I would take them, he had already packaged them and put them in the mail that day. I put the check in the mail that afternoon but there was no waiting and everything was good. I would have to say that was a first for me. Good person to deal with!

Also, I just sent my small raw coin hoard to a member here wanting his expert opinion. I know he will give me his honest opinion with no sugar coating on top and I will respect his opinion. I feel like I will be disappointed in what I think are decent coins but are probably just average but we all have to learn. The hardest part of that deal was putting them in the mail hoping they would arrive.

A lot of good people here and I thank them all.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Had alot of BST deals,and no problems.......Sold a UHR to forum member goldman86 but wants coin shipped first.....Seems OK..any "flags" before I decide. >>

anyone who asks for the coin to be shipped first immediately goes
    on my suspect list, sorry to say.

. >>

"Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    The more i deal with people on here the more trust in them i have, hopefully that trend continues.
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    Have to say trust myself the least, some of the decisions I have made....

There are a number I trust on the boards. Hope that falls under judgement not decisions.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Most of us, would rather lose two pints of blood,

or in my case, two dozen jelly donuts,

then lose our good reputations with the Forum

members. It is important and it really matters a lot.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    what the wise, ole, bear said
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file