Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check out my Morgan newp from Pinnacle... What is it? 65? 66? 67? OMG?!

anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just got off the phone with the nice people over at Pinnacle and I should be receiving this later in the week...

PCGS graded & I'll reveal their opinion soon.. until then...

Your grading guesses are always welcome...

Thanks for looking! image

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks very clean.
    Sure looks 67-ish from those pics....since those O-mints are known for weaker strikes.
    Pretty color.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    that is a great looking coin!

you need to spice up your title if you want to hit 100 posts!

i would also guess 67 as a 68 would be $$$$ and a nice 67 is
    a better bargain in my mind. well done~!
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    MS66
  • Options
    67. I don't see enough blast from the photos to go higher.

Gary
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    The correct answer is...

I'll wait a little longer for more people to check it out... now that my title is "spiced up" a bit... image
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Can't tell anything from those photo's other than it appears to be clean and there are no major marks.

I'll guess 66 based on the lack of marks on the face.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Nice looking coin image Pinnacle is a great company to buy from or sell to imageimage
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I'll go with MS-66
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    78750Aggie78750Aggie Posts: 417 ✭✭
    1904-S, very good year, and an incredible coin. Looks virtually perfect to me. Depending on your clout, graders hangover status, and verifications...67-68.

Aggie
    Aggie
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    weak strike
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Funny, I just emailed them, beautiful coin!!!image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    weak strike

I don't think it's weak for an O-mint Morgan. Pretty standard.

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    ms-63

K S
  • Options
    ms-63

K S

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I cheated.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    66 with a sticker image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    jgrinzjgrinz Posts: 985 ✭✭✭
    MS66 Obverse
    Reverse is tough to tell with all that 'color' in the way image

I will go with MS66 on the holder
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>66 with a sticker image >>

do you think you are longacre?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>ms-63

K S

image >>

ok lemme rephrase that,

real grade = ms-63
    slabed grade = ms-66

but the ugly as crap, not worth more then ms-63

K S
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Is there no luster on this coin, or is it just the picture??

Just the picture, I'm guessing.

I grade it.....

Green

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Whelp...

The 1904-O is graded MS66 by PCGS.

I will post my pictures when it comes later this week.

Thanks for the guesses. I can't imagine the coin being a 63 with the clean cheek and lack of distracting marks.

I may go for a 67 on a resubmission if its worth it. The breast feathers may be a tad weak, which is common for this date.

~Wayne
  • Options
    regardless of what number a pla$tic co. slaps on it, why you wanna waste your time on something this ugly? no matter what "grade" it gets, it still gonna be a puke-colored wart in your collection.

be smart, let someone else buy the number on this slab & get yourself a nice coin.

K S
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>regardless of what number a pla$tic co. slaps on it, why you wanna waste your time on something this ugly? no matter what "grade" it gets, it still gonna be a puke-colored wart in your collection.

be smart, let someone else buy the number on this slab & get yourself a nice coin.

K S >>

That's a rather mean-spirited thing to say, even for you.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it... congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>regardless of what number a pla$tic co. slaps on it, why you wanna waste your time on something this ugly? no matter what "grade" it gets, it still gonna be a puke-colored wart in your collection.

K S >>

That's a rather mean-spirited thing to say, even for you. >>

i agree.

first you totally misgrade the coin with a guess of a 63.
    then you say it is ugly? give me a break. that coin is not ugly. i can
    understand you not liking it but it hardly falls into the butt ugly category.

i do not think even 291fifth would guess a grade of 63 ;P

i was off by a point.. amazed by that clean cheek. but a 63? lol.
    it is laughable.
  • Options

K S >>

Well...there you have it...THE Dork has spoken... now PCGS will have to buy back the coin...image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    MS67 is what I would say based on the images FWIW. The strike is a bit weak in the centeres and at the first few left obverse stars. But the surfaces look nicer than MS67. Usually see some hits around the neck edge below the jaw/neck junction. This is really clean. Luster is right for a BU of the date and in general for the period. I think the toning is attractive in that it enhances the overall eye appeal. It wouldn't be as charming blast white, this particular piece. I could see any of the top TPGs grading it MS66. If so, did it get the elusive CAC gold football? Per the images, only the strike is holding it back. Nice coin!
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No better than 66 due to the weak strike. 67's have to be slammed. At least today.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    look, my point was'nt trying to be mean. i'm trying to point out that just becuz it's ms-66+++ & in a mighty pcg$ pla$tic holder, it's gotta be some sort of phenomenal coin. at least thats what is seems like from the comments.

are you serious???

TAKE A LOOK at it! is it REALLY "nice"? w/ splotchy obverse rim tone & a grimy looking reverse??? is it REALLY worth ms-66 $$$???

it's gotta be 1 of THE most common unc morgans around, & you can get a really nice one for alot less then "pcgs ms-66 money", so why would'nt you? clean cheek? big deal! it's COMMON for 1904-o to have a clean cheek!

oh & btw, i guessed the correct ms-66 as the slabed grade BEFORE the grade was posted. i know how pcgs generally grades these, & they don't take into account negative eye appeal which that coin has.

sorry, but it is the truth from the standpoint of what the digi-pic loooks like. if i offended, sorry again.

buy coins not pla$tic

K S
  • Options
    Its funny, I did buy the coin & not the plastic. I love rim toned coins. Especially with a lot of blue in them. This one fits my criteria.

I usually go for older ANACS graded material as there is a lot of rim toning going on in those holders...

Generally, I don't buy PCGS graded coins, but for the money, the grade & the look, I felt this was a great addition to my set.

Guess what?

I still do.

Thanks for the opinion all. Even you, Dorkkarl, as misguided (and abrasive) as I think you are. No worries.

BTW: what doesn't shown in the images are the reflective, lustrous fields on this coin. Smooth as glass.

~Wayne
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    So,What was the grade?65?Best,Lloyd
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    I was going to guess 67 from the image....the tough thing to judge is the luster which I can't see in the image. That could have been thee difference between the 66 & 67?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a Morgan dollar person, but that sure is a beautiful coin no matter what dorkkarl says.
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭
    I Like it!!!!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So,What was the grade?65?Best,Lloyd >>

Was in an earlier post, graded MS66
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice, clean coin. I am not sure, however, if it would make a 67 as the strike is just not there. Nice coin, nonetheless.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>Its funny, I did buy the coin & not the plastic. I love rim toned coins. Especially with a lot of blue in them. This one fits my criteria.

I usually go for older ANACS graded material as there is a lot of rim toning going on in those holders...

Generally, I don't buy PCGS graded coins, but for the money, the grade & the look, I felt this was a great addition to my set.

Guess what?

I still do.

Thanks for the opinion all. Even you, Dorkkarl, as misguided (and abrasive) as I think you are. No worries.

BTW: what doesn't shown in the images are the reflective, lustrous fields on this coin. Smooth as glass. >>

hey anablep, couple of things here. 1st of all, maybe the digi-pic is crappy, & the coin's alot nicer then it looks there.

but more important is that you played your ace. you said basically that you love the coin, & that's the bottom line.

"if you like it, if you really REALLY like it, then the price does not matter"

nor does my opinion, nor does cac's opinion, nor does your mama's opinion. YOU like the coin, therefore, YOU got a fantastic deal, regarldess of anything else. congratulations on buying a coin you really REALLY like!!!

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file