Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it the FH half dime thats driving the bids on this lot?

What am I missing here?

Is it just the half dime thats the big draw here, or does this group justify the high bid thus far?

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not be surprised if both the 99 cent and 95 half dime were fakes.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw that lot. VERY risky to bid on that.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Ok, just read that a VF 1799 cent is worth close to 50 large! Why wouldnt this seller have the coin certified as at least genuine by PCGS to maximize his profit? Unless he KNEW the coin to be a fake, but with his feedback, thats unlikely.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    If all of the coins were real, the 1799 Large Cent would be the big draw. However, both it and the FH Half-dime are counterfeits, and most likely the 1809. The Bust halves all look to be real coins.

Take a look at the comments from people...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    IF the '99 LC is real, that's what's driving the bidding, but I bet it's fake...
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    Did you also notice he saies he doesn't know anything about coins but which one (s) are pictured the most..............1799 hmmmmmmmmmm I only see the other large cent pic 2 times once in group at top unreadable and at the far left with your attention drawn away.
    They may say they don't know but the pictures don't lie about how they are presented...and what they focused on.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Did you also notice he saies he doesn't know anything about coins but which one (s) are pictured the most..............1799 hmmmmmmmmmm I only see the other large cent pic 2 times once in group at top unreadable and at the far left with your attention drawn away.
    They may say they don't know but the pictures don't lie about how they are presented...and what they focused on. >>

Very good point! However, I still have a hard time believing that a seller with 9 years and 600+ feedback 100% would knowingly try to sell a fake coin.
  • Options

As others have said, the 1799 is more than likely fake. Actually, I am being nice by saying "more than likely," based on the idea that nobody can grade or authenticate a coin via images. The 1799 looks like a low-end electrotype to me. And is that other thing a deer foot or something?

I am surprised that he included all of the questions and answers. Maybe that was his way of instilling confidence in potential bidders. Regardless, I do not buy the story. Someone is in for a rude awakening......
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see, if I had 9 years on eBay I would probably know how to look up the value of a 1799 large cent. Would I take $9K for a VF or would I get it certified and get $40K? Tough decision. . . . .

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As others have said, the 1799 is more than likely fake. Actually, I am being nice by saying "more than likely," based on the idea that nobody can grade or authenticate a coin via images. The 1799 looks like a low-end electrotype to me. And is that other thing a deer foot or something?

I am surprised that he included all of the questions and answers. Maybe that was his way of instilling confidence in potential bidders. Regardless, I do not buy the story. Someone is in for a rude awakening...... >>

....To the sound of a $6,200 alarm clock!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file