Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$5 US note from the WaWa this morning!

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
Seems almost impossible to find any of the 'old style' currency notes anymore, imagine my surprise when the checkout girl handed me a $5 US red seal note today at the WaWa! Naturally, I asked her if she had 'any more'........., but that was the only one.

45 years old and still out there, amazing.

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I think it is a sign of the health of the economy. People are spending stuff they would normally have saved.

Congratulations!
    Tom

• Options
    This is wild. I just got a 5 dollar silver cert from the 50's at my local 7-11. Its a blue seal, but, hey, I am keeping it.

• Options

<< <i>I think it is a sign of the health of the economy. People are spending stuff they would normally have saved.

Congratulations! >>

True that. I'd love to be one of the guys who works for CoinStar. All sorts of goodies are probably being dumped in there.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Times are tough..image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think it is a sign of the health of the economy. People are spending stuff they would normally have saved.

Congratulations! >>

True that. I'd love to be one of the guys who works for CoinStar. All sorts of goodies are probably being dumped in there. >>

chances are slim that CoinStar will have any "goodies." The machines reject all silver coins...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems almost impossible to find any of the 'old style' currency notes anymore, imagine my surprise when the checkout girl handed me a $5 US red seal note today at the WaWa! Naturally, I asked her if she had 'any more'........., but that was the only one.

45 years old and still out there, amazing. >>

What was the grade? Any pics?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Congratulations! >>

True that. I'd love to be one of the guys who works for CoinStar. All sorts of goodies are probably being dumped in there. >>

chances are slim that CoinStar will have any "goodies." The machines reject all silver coins... >>

Really? I didn't know that. I retract my previous statement then image
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    I've gotton some unique bills out of circulation working as a cashier... some old twenties and quite a few star notes! It's amazing what you can find with an open eye!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    <<I've gotton some unique bills out of circulation working as a cashier... some old twenties and quite a few star notes! It's amazing what you can find with an open eye! >>

I used to do that 55 years ago. Late 1928 red seals still circulated. (Actually, that might have been a tad unusual. I was in the Boston FR District and perhaps we had a monoply on red seals [$2 and $5 only]. Comments welcome from anybody in the know.)

I found the early red seals and early 1928 FRB's interesting, but I didn't have time to read the fine print. I developed a very good eye for checking signatures. These were always in the same position and a very reliable indicator of something interesting. I was always glad to spot an Andy Mellon go by. Once a lady gave me two $2's with his signature. I would not have spotted them otherwise.

Have you devloped any tricks of the trade?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here it is

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    that sticks out like a sore thumb, suprised it wasn't either picked off, or rejected as "counterfeit" by the cashier
  • Options
    Not bad condition what they go for now 75?
  • Options
    3sidesofsilver3sidesofsilver Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    --Craig
  • Options
    --Craig
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spend them all the time. The old folded, washed, wrinkled but otherwise GEM notes need
    to be spent!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Similarly, just a few days ago I received 4 cents change and all 4 cents were 1950's wheats. I usually find about 1 a month, completely at random, but thought it odd to get 4 at once...almost like someone cashed in a roll of wheats.
    --Craig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file