Home Precious Metals
Options

Bullion bars and PVC

1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
In another thread, someone asked if they should take their silver bars out of the original foil if the foil had holes in it and the bar was starting to spot. Responses were varied, but a majority agreed to leave the bar in the original foil, if not for better resale value.

I have asked this question in a different thread but since I haven't heard anyone respond to this question, I'd like to make a separate thread of it. What do you do when your bullion is sitting inside the horrid, hated and poisonous PVC foil/wrapper, from the factory or mint? Resale be damned, I do not want any of my metals anywhere near the destructive enemy PVC. How many bars are contained in PVC? I've seen PVC foil and other materials as well, reminiscent of mylar (which would be perfectly safe). How many of you would knowing keep your silver in PVC foil? By the way, if you break the bars out, give them a good acetone bath to remove the poison, what do you do with them afterwards? I've seen hard mylar cases for 1 ounce bars, but not for larger bars. Are there sources for mylar containers that fit bigger bars? What other kinds of containers or bags are available? Would food-quality zip-locs be a good choice? I do not want my silver to be destroyed by PVC.

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I have yet to see a single, solitary silver bullion bar coated with PVC residue. And this includes some VERY old (early 80's) originally wrapped bars. The issue doesnt worry me too much. Now, if I knew for a fact that my silver was sitting in PVC containing plastic, sure, I'd remove them.
  • Options
    Suggestion....

Silver bars have been packaged in many ways. While I have seen a few bars

attacked by PVC....... I am sure that many of us have seen many more bars

packaged in plastic that is simply ripping or getting brittle/cracking with age.

What ever the cause of the package failure.......

1] Get the bars out of defective packing.

2] Clean with acetone for PVC.

3] If you prefer to " open stack" your bars.... use sheets of wax paper between each bar.

4] If you wish to store your bars individually wrapped .... get ziptop plastic bags that are

close to size from the office supply store. These may degrade over time, reintroducing the PVC problem,

so be sure to mark the date of packaging on them and change them once a year.

Both methods are inexpensive and will keep those bars nice & shiney!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>4] If you wish to store your bars individually wrapped .... get ziptop plastic bags that are

close to size from the office supply store. These may degrade over time, reintroducing the PVC problem,

so be sure to mark the date of packaging on them and change them once a year. >>

Zip lock bags are polyethelene and should be safe for storage of your silver bars.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    " ........ Zip lock bags are polyethelene and should be safe for storage of your silver bars. .... "

Excellent. Just something to keep an eye on. image
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info and tips. So the food-grade zip locks will be PVC free and good for the slabs...I'll have to get some.

Gecko, here's a Wall Street Mint NYC skyline 10 oz bar which I'd be nearly willing to bet the farm is encased in the dreaded PVC:

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    The wall street bar appears to have some type of "haze" for sure. Tilt it at a steep angle and see if its green in color, if not...that haze is something else.