Home Precious Metals
Options

PM Report from Albany GA Coin Show

The GF & I attended the 2nd Annual Albany Coin & Money Show here in the "Good Life City" Saturday. Decided that I just had to go even though we were under tornado warnings, rain falling by the bucketfulls, wind howling, and nearly constant thunder & lightning. Got into Albany around 10AM and we're greeted by the city severe weather alarm blaring, and a loudspeaker booming "TORNADO WARNING . . . SEEK SHELTER NOW" ! ! !

Ain't going to let a little weather ain't going to deter this ole BUG!

Anyway, on to the show.

Almost everything bullion related seemed HIGH to me, but I'm only looking for DEALS! The cheapest ASEs I could find were $360/roll and went up from there to $395, Passed on all. One dealer had a few '09 Kooks & Pandas for $27.50, No Thanks, already bought a few. Found 1 1991 Kook for $20, bought it. Generic rounds were selling for $16.25, passed. One guy had 10oz SilverTowne bars for $160, passed again. Most dealers were selling junk Ag for 11.5. One guy had halves and quarters for 10x, passed, as I have enough junk stashed from when when I was roll hunting halves. What I didn't find were Libertads. 50 dealers and not'a one!

Nearly everywhere 1/10 AGEs were selling for $125. One guy had 1 for $105, Bought it - wish he had 10 at that price! Also bought a 1/4 AGE for $240. I've decided to start integrating the stack a little! 2 dealers had the UHR Saints, one OGP, one NGC 69. Finally got to see one up close. REAL PURTY, but not at the current prices, IMO. Think I'll wait till I can buy them just above spot!

Bought some numis stuff for the collection but that was about the scoop on PMs. All-in-all a fun time inspite of the weather.

Stack'em High!

HH
Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Great report, thanks. Looks like the premiums on bullion are still high.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>but I'm only looking for DEALS! >>

everyone wants a seller whos aking $15 for a $20 bill. The prices are what they are because its what the market will pay. If they aren't selling then they lower the price. if you do find any suckers selling under market they won't be dealers at a coin show.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

everyone wants a seller whos aking $15 for a $20 bill. The prices are what they are because its what the market will pay. If they aren't selling then they lower the price. if you do find any suckers selling under market they won't be dealers at a coin show. >>

8 months ago, oil was over $140/barrel. Today its under $50. Its called manipulation, and as long as dimwitted bullion collectors shell out absurd premiums for common bullion, the dealers will act accordingly. If more people such as the OP and myself existed, premiums would return to normal levels.
  • Options
    What do you call a premium? The amount over the COMEX? The price of bullion being bought/sold at coin shows, Ebay etc IS the price. That is not a manipulation.

It's COMEX where the short selling banks manipulate prices lower and then settle in cash (at the lower price) when the contract comes due.

Try getting delivery of a COMEX gold contract.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>....and as long as dimwitted bullion collectors shell out absurd premiums for common bullion, the dealers will act accordingly. If more people such as the OP and myself existed, premiums would return to normal levels. >>

Earlier this month (gold was around $935 oz) I stopped bothering to ask about the prices for common US Mint gold commemoratives when I visited the local coin club show. The dealers were fishing for bullion suckers. I was quoted $530 for a raw1984 $10 gold Olympic commemorative at a time when I was purchasing them in PCGS holders on ebay for $460-470 including shipping. Another dealer quoted $600 (he came down from the $625 marked on the packaging) for the 3 coin gold and silver 1984 Olympic Set - that same week I was picking up the same sets in the original packaging for $480-$500 on ebay.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Decided to go back to the little show today found stuff that I swear wasn't out yesterday. Bought another 1/4 AGE/$245 and a Swiss 20fr/$180. Another dealer had 15 .925 Onzas at $15ea, they're mine now. Also bought a '90 Kook for $18 & a'91 Isle of Man Cat for $19. Trying to add some variety to the little stack.

Regards,

HH
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

everyone wants a seller whos aking $15 for a $20 bill. The prices are what they are because its what the market will pay. If they aren't selling then they lower the price. if you do find any suckers selling under market they won't be dealers at a coin show. >>

8 months ago, oil was over $140/barrel. Today its under $50. Its called manipulation, and as long as dimwitted bullion collectors shell out absurd premiums for common bullion, the dealers will act accordingly. If more people such as the OP and myself existed, premiums would return to normal levels. >>

Alas, even I succumb to the allure of bullion (of questionable provenance, at that... image ) at exorbitant premiums. I just couldn't stop myself from picking up a Geckobar...

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw pretty much the same thing at a show in Spokane except there was a real shortage of bullion whether it be Gold Or Silver, and FORGET about Platinum, as is the case at the big dealers.

ASE rolls were $380, silver bars were $1.50 to $2.00 above spot with light traffic on the first day.

No UHR's to be found and some dealers were wishing they had brought some new cents as the demand was high.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

8 months ago, oil was over $140/barrel. Today its under $50. Its called manipulation, and as long as dimwitted bullion collectors shell out absurd premiums for common bullion, the dealers will act accordingly. If more people such as the OP and myself existed, premiums would return to normal levels. >>

Alas, even I succumb to the allure of bullion (of questionable provenance, at that... image ) at exorbitant premiums. I just couldn't stop myself from picking up a Geckobar...

imageimageimage >>

There IS a very dramatic difference between a handcrafted, limited edition collectable, and a mass produced (tens of millions of gold eagles for example) product thats simply "brokered". The dealer who charges $160 for a 10 oz silver bar did nothing than simply buy the bar for less at some point in the past. Anyone reading this forum could do such a mundane task. "Gecko bars", on the other hand, are made from scratch, one at a time, and hand stamped. In addition to that, the particular bars you are buying have a total of just 20 pieces extant!!! Big difference between the two! image
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    No UHR's to be found and some dealers were wishing they had brought some new cents as the demand was high.

Only 1 dealer here had the Cabin cents.They were selling like hotcakes! He told me that he had canceled his table at Whitman ATL. to go to Illinois, I believe, for the release ceremony of the next issue. He hopes to get enough there to make a quick killing!

Regards,

HH
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

imageimageimage >>

There IS a very dramatic difference between a handcrafted, limited edition collectable, and a mass produced (tens of millions of gold eagles for example) product thats simply "brokered". The dealer who charges $160 for a 10 oz silver bar did nothing than simply buy the bar for less at some point in the past. Anyone reading this forum could do such a mundane task. "Gecko bars", on the other hand, are made from scratch, one at a time, and hand stamped. In addition to that, the particular bars you are buying have a total of just 20 pieces extant!!! Big difference between the two! image >>

I was just giving you a hard time. image I don't think all your blood, sweat and tears aren't worth the premium you charge!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22