Home Metal Detecting
Options

going to buy this now at Gander - any thoughts

is this thing awesome? average? horrid? Any advice would be appreciated

Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II Metal Detector

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=400645&pdesc=Bounty_Hunter_Sharp_Shooter_II_Metal_Detector&str=metal detector&merchID=4005&r=view

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not familliar with the model, but Bounty Hunter makes a good product.... what is the price?? And what is your price range for buying one? Also, what kind of detecting do you plan to do.. water, beach, relic, land only etc.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    thx - approx $250. i live in south fl so i will start with the beach today, but look forward to all sorts of areas. might spend a lot of time in Richmond VA area in upcoming months, so that has to have great areas too i would suppose.
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    First and foremost is to find out why the Sharpshooter II is now a discontinued product. This may have a bearing on warrenty and replacement parts if need be in the future. According to what I'm reading now the Pioneer 503 has taken its place.

Never used Bounty Hunter products before. More of a Fisher guy myself. Looks pretty straight up. Not a bad price. Might want to read some reviews if you find some. Other than that , looks pretty decent. Its a turn on and go detector.

Don't forget about a beach scoop, digger , trash/cash pouches, pinpointer(very handy).

Purple

• Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    well i spent a good solid 2 hours trying this metal detecting thing out. LOVED IT! had to stop though due to 2 young kids needing me back home after their nap time. Found 4 dimes and a penny and about 30 pieces of misc stuff like bottle caps. I underestimated the physical involvment of all the walking, bending over, digging, standing back up, and swinging the thing from left to right. had a good sweat going - probably wont hurt my quest to drop a few pounds.

for some reason the detector wont recognize nickels - even when i threw a nickel down in front of the thing. got to read the manual tonite and learn more to fix that.

will post more later - but thx for the feedback fellas.
  • Options
    Uniship- I have a bounty hunter quick silver and I love it. Just a little advice, hit up the parks more then you do the beach. I only go to the beach once and a while because I usually only find a few things and as you know now, after a few hours of walking and swinging the detector, it takes quite a bit out of you. I can just about guarantee you will find 3-4 times more good things at a park or school yard. If you go to a school yard, go on the weekend and make sure you speak with security first, they usually don't have a problem with it. I make sure I go to a park that is right down the road from me and a school yard EVERY weekend and at the park I average around 3 bucks in change and the same for the school yard, every time I go. I get the most hits on coins right around basketball courts. The change flys out of pockets and roll to the ends of the court.
    Star's/ Matching Star's/ Error's/ Low Serial's

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference." ~ Reinhold Niebuhr
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Wii Fit FTW! I have been on it for a month now.

1) Because I need to drop some weight
    2) I knew if I went out digging the physical part would have took a toll on my body.

Went out digging 1 time for about 3 hours and only had a slightly sore neck the next day.

As far as your nickle problem, try burying it then swing over top of it. I know my detector wont ID properly unless its in the dirt. But, having said that , I do have a tone on my detector that tells me it's on the surface(large and shallow). Also, lowered discrimination might help.

Purple
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a quickdraw II and love it. If the sharpshooter is anything like mine, you'll like it.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Your missing nickels because your discrimination is set too high.
  • Options

<< <i>Your missing nickels because your discrimination is set too high. >>

This is correct information.Further to that if your toning out nickels you are also toning out gold.Its how discrimination works.As Dockwalliper has said you have it set too high.Adjust it by setting up a test area with a bit of foil , a nail , a silver coin , a clad and or copper coin , a bit of gold.
    Listen to the machines response to each.Youll very quickly hear the difference between junk and coins , thing is if you dont dig the junk signals youll never find any gold items.
    Learn the way the machine speaks to you and base your decisons on that.