Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Best for Net Details?

Hello All,

Went to a auction today and ended up buying a coin that presents a thought. The issue is the obverse has some small scratches but the reverse is stellar, so given its value and issue, I'm thinking of having it slabbed for potentially net details. I'm pretty certain if it goes normal submission, it will go BB. Equally important I want to make sure its genuine - I'm about 99% certain it is but I want that certainty as well. Any suggestions on the route to take. I'd only be looking to submit the one coin.

Av
Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I would probably try NGC. PGCS has a genuine holder for problem coins but no grade is given. Not knowing the coin type I would have to recommend NGC.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    NGC doesn't do "NET" grading. I believe you are thinking of "Details" grading given by their affiliate NCS. I don't know which TPG does NET grading, though I do remember hearing about it.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the numerical grade is unimportant to you, and you only care about authentication, it might be better to go with PCGS, since the end result will bear a label that merely says, "Genuine" on it, instead of one that enumerates the problem. It's not that that you will be attempting to hide the problem- that will be apparent to the eye- but some folks just don't like seeing a problem typed out on the label, if you know what I mean.

NCS "details" grade versus ungraded PCGS "genuine" slab... hmmm... which would be better? Hard to say.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    The last company that was assigning both details and a netgrade was Anacs, but not anymore. The purpose was to quantify the value of the problem, example, AU details, scratched, net VF35 meant that the scratch was quite serious and the coin was reduced to its VF35 value. Most netgradings that I had seen at the time were one category below the details grade, ie UNC details, net AU55, or AU details, net EF45, and even one of mine that was AU details, net AU50, now in a PCGS AU50 holder.

Nowadays, the netgrading is left to be determined by the buyer/owner of the coin, so I'd go with NCS, who will assign a details grade, but no netgrade. The PCGS Genuine holder is better than a BB, but its only use is the proof of authenticity and the cert number, for those who want to include these problem coins into registry sets etc.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    AvarelAvarel Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Thank you for the suggestions.

Av
    Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria