Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

XAPI^AOE TPIKOY#HE

So sue me, if I can't figure out Greek letters.
Anyway, I bet this catches Syracusian's attention!

imageimage

I lightened the image so that the details may be seen.
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Nice! image

That's Harilaos Trikoupis. The reverse says "En Kannais" (In Cannes?) - 30 March 1896, probably a reference to his death, in which case the Wiki article has it wrong!
  • Options

<< <i>in which case the Wiki article has it wrong! >>

You can't be serious! An error in a Wiki article - never happen, even with this disclaimer. image

<< <i>This article does not cite any references or sources. >>

Roy

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the delay harasha, it just caught my attention.

Wikipedia's article seems right, and the same goes for spoon's translation of the medal's legend :it means in Cannes ,30th of March 1896.

Maybe it was made in advance, for a prearranged visit to Cannes before the start of the first Modern Olympics, and he died later in April that year, in Cannes or in Paris. Or it is a post mortem issue. I will ask at the Greek coin forum and will return if I get a satisfactory reply.

I haven't read wikipedia's entire article on Trikoupis to confirm its accuracy, but this part is surely right:

His sixth turn in office (June 22, 1892 – May 15, 1893) was a dramatic one. The country's treasury had been depleted by overspending and systemic corruption often caused by political campaigns in which parties promised massive spending programs. Trikoupis stood before parliament and made the most famous statement of his career: "Regretfully, we are bankrupt". The servicing of foreign loans was suspended, and all non-essential spending was cut.

After this, he IMF and the governments that followed took harsh measures and imposed a firm monetary policy that allowed the drachma to finally regain par with the French franc, and new silver drachmas in Latin Union standards were minted in 1910 and 1911. Trikoupis was the first of a series of prime ministers who leaded one of the two major parties, that divided Greek voters in two since that time, and still do, albeit under different names today. His conservative opponent, was Theodoros Deligiannis, who became a prime minister too, and whose great grand kid was my classmate in primary and junior high.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All in all, he sounds like he was a quality leader.

DPOTD
  • Options
    He was, as proved by his 6 terms alone. The phrase that he coined, "Regretfully, we are bankrupt" , remained famous and helped to remind to future leaders the consequences of excessive spending and deficits. It was an era of monarchy, where the prime minister did not have the powers that he has today and major decisions had to be approved by the palace.His biggest accomplishment, was probably the introduction of permanence for civil servants, and consequently the security that they wouldn't be fired when the other party would take over.However, if you ask any youngster under 35, what do they know about him, other than the street that bears his name, you won't get many replies.

The pro or against monarchy issue that divided the 2 parties and the people, was given a final solution around a century later, with the 1974 referendum that transformed Greece into a Republic. Interestingly enough, it was the conservative and supposedly pro monarchy party that ended it.

Nice medal by the way. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>"Regretfully, we are bankrupt" >>

Wonder when that phrase will be spoken here in California, or in the nation of which it is a part?

Maybe a poll is in order.

Naw.

Too depressing.
  • Options
    <<You can't be serious! An error in a Wiki article - never happen, even with this disclaimer>>

The honor of Wickipedia is intact!

Greece did not adopt the Gregorian calender until 1 March 1923.

Hence to convert 30 March 1896 to modern usage - add 12 days. This makes the death date 11 April 1896.

I am frankly surprised nobody else picked up on this yet.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    While I have the Greek experts gathered here, I would like to pose a question.
    When did Athens change its beginning spelling from alpha-theta-epsilon to alpha-theta-eta?
    Wickipedia says Athens voted to use the Ionic alphabet in 403 BC. The long E sound representation would switch from "E" to "H".
    Yet the coins of Athens used "E" into the second century BC.
  • Options

<< <i>While I have the Greek experts gathered here, I would like to pose a question.
    When did Athens change its beginning spelling from alpha-theta-epsilon to alpha-theta-eta?
    Wickipedia says Athens voted to use the Ionic alphabet in 403 BC. The long E sound representation would switch from "E" to "H".
    Yet the coins of Athens used "E" into the second century BC. >>

I'll post your answer about the calendar in the other forum where I've had one merciful reply so far.Thank you. I'm afraid I cannot answer your question, other that the current Greek spelling is alpha-theta-eta(-ni-alpha).
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I will assume that it's the Stack's specimen? Not a common one, and looks underpriced to me judging from the estimate in the auctions that it remained unsold.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed. I am motivated by the Ionian proprietor of my workplace's cafeteria. He is someone to whom I can show my prizes! My winning bid in the March 2009 was within the well reduced estimates.

DPOTD