Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need info on 1869A 100 Francs, please

This coin is graded AU58 by NGC. What's the gold content, and what do you think it is worth? Thanks!

[URL=http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1869a100fa.jpg]image[/URL]
[URL=http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1869a100fb.jpg]image[/URL]

[/URL]">a
[/URL]">b

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question... I really think it is a very tough call with the premium associated with certain gold coins. In Europe, this may go for $1200-1350. I really don't know...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Krause says the gold content is .9335agw
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    I always liked these French Napoleon Laureate head 100 francs, but I hadn't realized how difficult they are in choice unc and above. I have yet to see a gem of them in any date. For a good looking AU58 such as this one, I wouldn't spend a big premium over its BV in these hard for cash days, (one oz, 0.900) around kat's low estimate but I could be very wrong.

A bribe to turn the baby into a collector Mike? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the very useful answers, folks. I don't see these very often so I wanted some idea of what to pay for this clean looking example. At nearly one ounce of gold, it is the size I'm looking for.

And yes, Dimitri, I can always use that excuse with my wife as to why I'm squandering the family's money (I guess after marriage, it's all "family" money...LOL) on such useless barbaric relics. image And in this case, buying the slab helps in a couple ways - authenticity as well as protection from his meddling fingers! When do we get to hear the report of the birth of your offspring, Dimitri? image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Jester,

It is a very nice coin, looks like a slider, and a coin I have fancied for several years but never found one for the right "value".
    Here some facts to consider
    1) 1869A has the highest mintage of the 8 years minted at Paris ... 29,000. Next highest 10,000 (1870).. with a total of 68,368.
    2) The Strasbourg mint coins of the same laurel design were minted for only 7 years and are less common (28,827 total).
    3) Though not very credible (most world coins not graded) in PCGS pop report 11 of the 17 1869A graded are of higher grade, 4 of lower grade and the 1869A is the highest number graded. I would guess NGC pop report reflect similar results.
    4)Estimated value ( at current gold prices)
    My formula ( image ) = $1100-$1200
    Coinarchives.com research = $1100-1300

FWIW: I prefer the Laurel head to the bare head design. I think the Angel 100 Francs is a nicer design and can be found at a better "value"

Good luck on your decision and if you buy it ........ you'll get a big "YOU SUCK" from me image
  • Options
    SilverEagle, that's just the kind of info I was looking for; you've been a great help. Even at a mintage 29,000 it's not a common coin. I like the looks of this one and if it's not too much over melt then I'm gonna suck! I hope! (that sounded weird...)

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    OK, I got the coin in hand, and it's pretty nice, but not exactly perfect. I'd probably say it's overgraded by a point or so (but there's no AU57 grade that I know of...LOL), but better than AU55. There are two very minor lamination errors on the obverse, which I've never seen on a gold coin before. Maybe that's something inherent in French products, who knows?! image That's why French cars couldn't survive in the American market I suppose. Interestingly, I had an uncirculated 1 centime piece from year 7, which also had serious lamination issues with it, as well as multiple stamping. BTW, I picked this one up for $1025, but bid higher. I guess it was worth it...

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Yummy!!imageimage
    Becky
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>OK, I got the coin in hand, and it's pretty nice, but not exactly perfect. I'd probably say it's overgraded by a point or so (but there's no AU57 grade that I know of...LOL), but better than AU55. There are two very minor lamination errors on the obverse, which I've never seen on a gold coin before. Maybe that's something inherent in French products, who knows?! image That's why French cars couldn't survive in the American market I suppose. Interestingly, I had an uncirculated 1 centime piece from year 7, which also had serious lamination issues with it, as well as multiple stamping. BTW, I picked this one up for $1025, but bid higher. I guess it was worth it...

imageimageimage >>

Great coin! glad to see you got it. As far as the grade is concerned, both services love to give minor grade 'bumps' to coins with outstanding luster, as that factors into their grading formula. your coin has enough luster for two coins! congrats!