Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Using credit cards to buy from the US Mint...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone had any unusual experiences with the credit card companies? If so, which one, and what happened?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Use your paypal debit card to buy the UHR like I did. I got $18 cash back. LOL

You did not say it had to be a bad story.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They charge me money to use their money.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Not the US mint, but General Motors/HSBC card refused to accept numismatic charges from the Vatican on my most recent attempt. If you don't trust the Pope, who do you trust?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, never had an issue with my C.c...is gives me a 1% refund the following month.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I switched to Amex/Delta. 1 Mile per dollar. Just bought the family of 5 round trip tickets VA to HI for 200,000 miles (40K each). My UHR brought me 1189 more miles.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    May have already been posted, but the direct ship program has killed most credit card points on mint purchases. Just called US Bank, and they will not give points on ANY US Mint purchase now. There goes all the points I thought I was getting on my platinum purchase in Dec. Said the effective date was Dec 8th 2009.
    Successful transactions with: goldman86, dmarks, CoinFame, segoja, commoncents05, wondercoin, Dabigkahuna, Levinll, RNCHSN, MrOrganic, Type2, ModernCoinMart, alohagary, BECOKA, guitarwes, rbf, fishteeth, freechance, agentjim007, PQPeace, Russ, GSAGuy
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I presume you're alluding to the Mint's collaboration with the commercial banking industry to appease the banks' complaint that John Q. Public was able to buy new circulation coinage ( Dollar coins to be precise) at an ultimate discount ( when CC company mileage points were awarded), while the banks were required to pay a premium for ordering the same from the Fed. The banking industry lobbied the thousand pound gorilla and was given a banana. Corporate business is alive and well in America. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    It almost sounds like things are resolving better than expected. There were rumours that mint purchases would be considered cash advances which would have been even more punitive.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Discover with no problems
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Just the usual back orders.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had any problems purchasing via my CC from the Mint.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never had any problems purchasing via my CC from the Mint. >>

Ditto.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>I've never had any problems purchasing via my CC from the Mint. >>

Same Here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file