Home Metal Detecting
Options

First day out with the new Ace 250

My new Ace 250 arrived last Monday. The weather was wet and raining, so I poured over all the materials that came with it. Tuesday's weather was still lousy, but I went out and muddied up the backyard a bit until I was cold and had enough. The sun was out on Wednesday, but I thought I'd let it dry out a bit. So today, Thursday, I took the wife (my personal digger) and we headed down to the beach. We brought jackets, but as we drove up and I saw bikinis, we decided to leave our jackets (and shoes) in the truck. The sand was nice and warm on the feet and the sea breeze was nice too.

The area we went to was not the most busiest part of the beach. I thought about going there but as this was my first time out and I wanted to be away from were the majority of people would currently be. This is were we go when we swim in the summer, and it can have a lot of people there, definitely not as dense as Virginia Beach, about 10 miles north. The beach had changed in appearance quite a bit since last summer due to wave action. I heard some other forum members state that the 250 is not so good in wet sand, so I opted to stay about 30 feet from the breakers.

We walked about 300 yds. south below where much of the debris from high tide was apparent. Nothing. Not even a bottle cap. I had to throw a coin down to make sure everything was working! We turned around and decided to try further away from the water. Almost 2/3 of the way back, we got our first tone. What hidden treasure would it be? Well turned out to be just what the 250 said it was, 10 cents, in this case a 2000 D dime. We were still excited though. A bit further down, this time north of our starting spot. I came across some burnt wood barely sticking out of the sand. Thoughts of drunken beach party goers losing their coins and jewelry ran through my head. I was right, lots of beer cans and broken bottles about 8 inches down. They must have buried their trash. The site did give up a 2002 P nickel. My digger was getting tired now and we went down about another 100 ft. and found the oldest coin of the day, a 1986 P nickel.

I told the wife if we can keep this up we'd have enough for a soda pop soon. It would not have mattered one bit if we found nothing. It was a great day just to be out and we really enjoyed it. As we were heading back we saw another guy with his detector. Didn't get a chance talk to him as he was too far away from the beach access point.

The coins were weathered quite a bit, coppery in appearance. The sand was not good to them, but the dates were clear enough. Definitely will be out again.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting story, glad to hear you like the Garrett. And be glad your not finding pop-tops or bottle caps like crazy! That's all I found my last time out, what a bummer.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice story and a fun day. Too bad you do not have a wet sand/water machine.... that is where most of the real treasure will be found. Nice machine though, lots of good reports on it as a coin finder... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    That was prolly one of the best "diggin" stories I have heard in a very very long time. Gratz on the tector and it sounds like your having fun with it. Just be patient, you'll hit spots where you'll have tones everywhere and dig up enough change for lunch. Just you wait LOL.

PURPLE!
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting story, glad to hear you like the Garrett. And be glad your not finding pop-tops or bottle caps like crazy! That's all I found my last time out, what a bummer. >>

IJ thanks, there was a lot of junk around that old fire site. I would have like to dig there more, but I didn't have the means to haul out lots of garbage. I just need to get better pin pointing.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice story and a fun day. Too bad you do not have a wet sand/water machine.... that is where most of the real treasure will be found. Nice machine though, lots of good reports on it as a coin finder... Cheers, RickO >>

ricko thanks. Even if I had a better wet machine, the wave action there is rarely calm, like perhaps South Florida. Even at knee deep it's challenging to keep your balance. It's not Maui, but some folks do surf and a few were out that day. I'll leave that to the pros. image
  • Options

<< <i>That was prolly one of the best "diggin" stories I have heard in a very very long time. Gratz on the tector and it sounds like your having fun with it. Just be patient, you'll hit spots where you'll have tones everywhere and dig up enough change for lunch. Just you wait LOL.

PURPLE! >>

Thanks Purple! Yeah having lots of fun with it. Didn't get it to strike it rich (but it would be nice). I have been using it in "All Metal" mode and digging on everything, but I'm pretty impressed with its ability to determine the denomination accurately. There is a school playground nearby that I want to try, it was built in the 1950's. I'll probably wait until the spring holiday. I've never seen anyone search it, so I'll give that a whirl.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    If' you had gone another half mile you might have had enough for a hot dog too.image
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    JackrabbitJackrabbit Posts: 266 ✭✭
    Nitro

You weren't looking at the bikinis to much were ya..... Oh yell, you had the wife with ya....
    Good hunting..