Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Answer Revealed.........Guess the Year of this Kennedy?

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
This should be fairly easy even on this merged photo............

BTW, I just picked this up from my local shop and when I asked to look at the Capital Plastic Mint Set it was in, the dealer was nice enough to let me know that a lot of folks have looked at this set. A lot!

I guess they weren't looking for what I was looking for. Ya think?? image
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1974? and I think there might be a D on it.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

• Options
    Bossman88Bossman88 Posts: 638 ✭✭
    I'll have to go 1974-D also.

Regards, Larryimage
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I concur

1974-D
    DDO-001

Markers:
    Can be found in Mint sets

Description:
    Strong spread on all letters and date

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    So far, only 0 people have guessed correctly. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    l0l
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Anybody else care to test their numismatic abilities before I reveal the grade?? image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    1971 D
  • Options
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Ummm....64D?
  • Options
    1973-D
  • Options
    I'm going with 71-D as well
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1971 d...
  • Options
    kklambokklambo Posts: 32 ✭✭
    1964D
  • Options

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Perhaps some follow up is needed here.

I put this coin up for a couple of reasons.

First: I found it in a set which had been looked at by many folks (as indicated by the dealer) and as most of you know, I am rather loupe challenged, but the doubling on this coin was unmistakeable even with my tired eyes.

Second: Although a good many folks replied with 1974-D (as I expected would occur as the doubling is very similar) I wanted to point out that there are many very nice DDO coins in the Kennedy Series. I know I was surprised to see my first 1974-D DDO and even more surprised to find that there were many other very nice DDO Kennedy's, many of which simply have not had the publicity that the 1974-D has received.

The more I look, the more I see and the more I see, the more amazed I am!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    Lee

you said you found this Kennedy in a Capitol Plastic mint set, what is that ? - i'm guessing this is not the same as the usual mint sets

what other years have DDO as you mentioned besides the 71D & the 74D

Snowman

• Options

<< <i>Lee

you said you found this Kennedy in a Capitol Plastic mint set, what is that ? - i'm guessing this is not the same as the usual mint sets

what other years have DDO as you mentioned besides the 71D & the 74D

Snowman >>

Capital Plastic meaning the holder only. You can purchase Capital Plastic holders for darn near anything including specific year "mint sets".

For business strike coins, 1973-D and 1977-D
    The 1973-D has 4 DDO's attributable by CONECA and 1977-D has 2 DDO's which are attributable by CONECA.
    1972 has a very nice yet very, shall I say rare?, DDO.

There are many more with a bulk of them in the 1964-D's and 1971-D's.

For the proof coins, 1964 has a bunch along with the 1966 SMS Sets and 1971-S sets.

There are quite a few and I would recommend getting a copy of the Kennedy Half Dollar Attribution and Pricing Guide by James Wiles. The book is way out of print but second hand copies are occasionally available on eBay. The alternative is joining the ANA and checking out a copy from the ANA Library.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file