Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OFFICIAL 2009 CU Baseball Fantasy *Congrats to LaneMyers85*

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Email sent, vote casted.

I have a cooler of beer too, but unfortunately have come down with strep, so I'll lay off the beer tonight. Probably just hang around the first few rounds then set to autopick, so I won't slow things down too much.

shawn
  • Options
    im tingling with anticipation. My first pick will be Ted Williams frozen, disembodied head.
  • Options
    We are having some really bad weather with one confirmed tornado so far. Hope my internet will hang in there. My sons game got called in the bottom of the last inning with the score tied and we had runenrs on second and third. My son got through 3 innings after only throwing 35 pitches and took a linedrive off his forehead in warmups.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I was unable to attend the draft, and my lineup shows it! I have to keep telling myself "It's a 16 team league". Good luck fellas!

Hey Bill... WAR WEEK 1!! It's ON!! image
  • Options
    I'm not unhappy with my team. I wanted David Wright with my first pick, but my redneck stepped out. I didn't know to hit the big "DRAFT" button. So, ended up with Reyes as an autopick.
  • Options
    If Reyes has a "good" year he will be a much better pick than Wright; lots of runs, .300 ba. 50SB+ maybe 10-15 homers.
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Ya Bill,

It was a good pick for sure. Reyes is a great all around player.

I was suprised that I actually had only players on my small list of ranked players drafted in the last 6 rounds after I went to bed. Overall i'm happy with my team.

now...we just need the season to start to get this baby rolling!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Well my best player is J-Roll, if that's any indication... at least I'll get some SBs!
  • Options
    I don't know if my team is worth a damn or not.

I think with Figgins and Hanley Ramirez I should be okay in SB's.
    Youkalis, Hanley, Vladimir, and Dunn should provide Hr's and RBI's.
    All of the above will get close to 100 runs.
    My bench is weak, which I guess is to be expected in a 16 team league.
    Iffy on pitching. Volquez and Lackey up front, Cueto and Garzo behind them.
    Sad on relief pitching.

I have me 7th as my preseason pick, what does that pay? image
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that is the first time I had a 16 teamer. It is long and teams aren't stacked like every other league.

good luck boyz
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    My starting rotation is either going to be by far the best in the league or the 2009 All-DL team.

Francisco Liriano, Rich Harden, Joe Saunders (17 game winner last year) and Chien-Ming Wang.
  • Options
    I pizzzzayed... Mark it Dude!

• Options
    Forgot to ask, why are we paying up front? In past CU fantasy leagues, payment (usually cards) was sent after the league was over.
  • Options
    I think we're trying to get everyone to pay $10 before the season starts. That way we're not chasing money after people know they lost.
  • Options

<< <i>That way we're not chasing money after people know they lost. >>

I have done transactions on the BST forum with all but 3 of the people in the league. Don't think I would really sweat getting my portion of the $10 from any involved.

Edit to add: If we have to pay upfront, can I borrow $10 from somebody? Junk wax on eBay has depleted my Paypal account. image
  • Options
    if your rotation is healthy you have good upside. I like to go with young pitchers on the rise. I have Lincecum (arguably the #1 ranked SP), Jon Lester (the Sox best pitcher in my opinion) Rickey Nolasco from the marlins; my Veteran is Carlos Zambrano. And I took a Jap import from ATL Kawakami. Relievers i scooped up heath bell for SD who is downright nasty, Zumaya from Det. and Kuo from LA.
  • Options
    send

mark me pizzzaid as well

rich tree aka PSA 11's
    Buying:
  • Options
    Just paid.

shawn
  • Options
    So are we ready to rock & roll??!
  • Options
    payments in ?
    Buying:
  • Options

<< <i>payments in ? >>

Not yet I am still waiting on 4 payments from

jswieton
    lsutigers1973
    mknez
    Buffalo Bison hockey

but I am sure they will be in before the season.

good luck to all!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Well we are underway...here is to a great fun season!

I have had everyone square up with me but the following.

jswieton and Buffalo Bison hockey

When you guys get a minute please send through the payment.

Anyway, good luck to all!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Congrats to krems and lanemeyer, the two finalists who will do battle.
    I had a blast, hopefully we can do it again next year. Thanx Mathew.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    It was a crazy week with both the top 2 teams being knocked off...congrats to all and good luck in the final week!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Yes head to head leagues kinda suck for a team like artistlost to have basically destroyed the league for what 18 weeks to only have one bad week ruin it. that's why i do both head to head and stat leagues.

Hey Mat, you should have your Matt Holliday card pretty soon.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>Yes head to head leagues kinda suck for a team like artistlost to have basically destroyed the league for what 18 weeks to only have one bad week ruin it. that's why i do both head to head and stat leagues.

Hey Mat, you should have your Matt Holliday card pretty soon. >>

Yup...it does suck being me. I wish I would have opted for no playoffs...oh well.

Next year.

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

<< <i>Yes head to head leagues kinda suck for a team like artistlost to have basically destroyed the league for what 18 weeks to only have one bad week ruin it. that's why i do both head to head and stat leagues. >>

On the other side, in my best head to head league that pays real money, I had the highest total point count all year and was never lower than 2nd until the last 2 weeks. Lost a bunch of key players due to injury and fell to 3rd plus lost the high point total for the year (which pays an extra $200) the last week.

Thankfully, our league paid the top 3 overall and the top 4 made the playoffs. Won last week so in I'm in the finals of our playoffs. Bad part is that the bulk of the money was in the top 2 spots for the regular season.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    Artist's team didn't have a bad week, in fact his SP way overperformed given the streaming (chuck & duck) SP strategy he uses. You can't expect more than the QS he received out of the Jeff Suppans and Jon Garlands of the world and in the offensive categories we were nearly even across the board. Normally his team would carry the offense and my SP of Halladay/Haren/Carpenter/Lilly/Wainwright/T.Hanson/Nolasco would dominate the P cats and it was essentially reversed this past week. Apparently I forgot to start Hanson in his Tuesday start where he pitched 7 or 8 innings of shutout baseball so actually the P cats may have been much closer or even put me more over the top. I believe in our previous match-up we either tied for the week or one of us won in a 7-6 final so quite frankly our teams were pretty even aside from him having a much stronger offense and my much stronger SP. I'd venture to guess if our teams were matched up for 10 weeks it would end 5-5 or 6-4 if one of these bizarro weeks like this occurred where the respective teams' strengths were reversed.

but such is the nature of H2H leagues...although you need a good team luck (esp. health) plays a big role too. I was in second place most of the year until the final 6 or so weeks when seemingly every single week's match-up included a team hitting way over their collective heads bumping me down to 4th or wherever I ended up...and it didn't help with Wright, McClouth, Span, and Votto on the DL helping kill my offense. Luck of the draw factors into it as well. There were 4 or 5 essentially dead teams or teams that haven't logged into the league since spring so if one happened to have faced those particular teams more than once in the regular season you're at a decided advantage as well. I know there were a couple weeks where said dead teams didn't meet IP requirements so the opposing team is awarded wins in all P categories in that case...and I wasn't the beneficiary of any of those. If the league is coming back next year in the same H2H format, making some adjustments to the stat categories would be beneficial, especially on the SP end. We really don't need CG or Shutouts given the infrequency of both. Should have BB allowed or BB/9 and something else...perhaps QS.

Good luck Krems.
  • Options
    I don't think you two teams were evenly matched considering he was 31.5 games ahead of you in the standings.

Yeah luck has something to do with it but on averge over like 24 weeks his team really outperfomed everyone here by alot.

You guys played head to head 1 time and it was a 7-7 tie. If you played 10 more times it could go 10-0 for him or you depending on tons of factors but his team was better and his strategy was better than anyones this year for the whole year not just one week were anything could happen. I mean you got beat head to head one week against PSA11's doesn't that show you how fickle this system is????????
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Matt Wieter's having a career week was the difference between me winning and loosing...too bad he wasn't on my team...

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Whatever Matt it was clear his team was as good as yours despite being 31.5 games behind you in the standings. Matt Weiters having a lucky week was all part of the plan.
  • Options
    Exactly the regular season meeting was a tie...and again he usually carries the O categories and I usually carry the P cats...on that alone that's going to put us on an equal footing more times than not so a 10-0 isn't ever going to happen. Most likely a match-up of 10 weeks would end up 5-5 or 6-4 because I'd carry the P in most every week and normally he'd probably carry the offensive side so it would come down to who wins a wild card category like SBs or if someone records a CG or Shutout. Every week I'm averaging a win in at least 5.5-6 P stat category wins...and on the offensive side he's got me with his .284/.355/.474 to my .279/.349/.451...so not as large of a margin as you'd expect but would give him an average of at least 1.5-2 more HRs per week and so on down the line.

"I don't think you two teams were evenly matched considering he was 31.5 games ahead of you in the standings."

fair enough but prior to the last month or so I was around 13.5 GB and then had 5 key players go on the DL at the same time in Wright, Lilly, Span, N.Cruz and McClouth, you should know this because that's when you moved ahead of me. I'm not seeing any DL stints for his squad virtually the entire year aside from a missed start by Greinke and a DL stint for V.Wells who is marginal at best anyway. While I had Votto, Wright, Span, N. Cruz, Lilly, Carpenter, and McClouth all miss at least 2-3 weeks or in Carpenter and Votto's cases, around 2 months. There's a reason why playoffs are offered in a H2H league. Playoffs are supposed to hedge the unevenness of a regular season schedule so if they are going to be X'd from next year's league then the format should be changed to ROTO. Not saying my team was better, obviously Artist had the best regular season record overall, but if you take the injuries out of the equation we would have been a lot more closer than the end result. Not sure what you mean by "better strategy"...if you mean steaming or chucking and ducking SP, that's an oft-used fantasy strategy, but it works better in a deeper ROTO league where bomb starts won't kill your rate stats so harshly as a 30-40 or so IP sample size will. All it's going to do in this league format is nearly guarantee that you'll win 2 cats in Wins and K's and possibly nab you a CG or Shutout every now and again. But more times than not you'll lose the rate stats so you're just canceling out those four categories so I'll debate you on that all day.

• Options
    "Matt Wieter's having a career week was the difference between me winning and loosing"

well A.LaRoche also had an equally unexpected 556/.636/.556 line which would even out some of Wieter's performance.
  • Options

<< <i>"Matt Wieter's having a career week was the difference between me winning and loosing"

well A.LaRoche also had an equally unexpected 556/.636/.556 line which would even out some of Wieter's performance. >>

Hey... I am not trying to belittle your win. You won. Fair and square. IT was a close and good week.
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    lanemyer85 are you saying that the playoffs of 1 week are a more fair judgment of a team than a 22 weak regular season?

Wow, you live in bizzaro land, so the one week were PSA11's beat you, if it was a playoff, means his team was better and the playoffs just evened out the differrence between regular season records?

Injuries happen to teams, how you manage them goes a long way to winning. Just because your backups didn't play well isn't a reason to say that your team was just as good because in reality (31.5 games behind) it wasn't. Also how do you know if those injured guys played they would have played better than the backups during the same period, you are just speculating.

I really just wanted to point out the best team in the league got hosed on a one week playoff system.
  • Options
    Morgoth, you're reaching man. I said we were more evenly matched then you think, as can easily be pointed out by our two match-ups. I don't put much stock into this past week's 10-4 because a couple more hits on his side and it's either an 8-6 or another 7-7 final. You called the win "a bad week" for Artist's squad apparently without even checking the stats because he had a great (quite frankly overachieving) week on the P side given his average stats over the ENTIRE season. Artist posted a fantastic 8 W (thanks to 2 vulture wins by Ryan Franklin) with a 2.47 ERA and 1.13 WHIP and as I already noted his average over the season was a 3.91 ERA and 1.32 WHIP, while mine was a 2.96 ERA & 1.12 WHIP season average and I wound up posting a 3.43 ERA and 1.26 WHIP. I had 12 starts from Haren/Halladay/Carpenter/Wainwright/Lilly/Hanson/Nolasco and only ended up with 4 wins which would be majorly underperforming for that group which along with the rate stats that those guys usually bank it was my team who underachieved on the P side.

so on the offensive side he posted a .275/.338/.418 line, down slightly from his season average of 284/.355/.474
    while I posted a .278/.348/.424 line which is nearly identical to my season average of .279/.349/.451
    SBs and Holds were essentially right in line with the season averages. So the difference on offense was essentially ONE hitter on his side not coming through to the median as my collective did exactly what they did in the REGULAR SEASON...so that doesn't equal a BAD WEEK. The match-up went down nearly exactly as it should have except Artist would normally carry the offensive side and I would normally carry the pitching side(aside from saves) given the season stats, while this time those roles were flipped. I don't understand what you're not getting here. It wasn't a bad week. It was even, about as even as it could possibly get, and the final score wasn't indicative of the stats as it could or should have been another 7-7 or 8-6 final. How is this any different than real baseball? I don't recall my Cubs getting handed the pennant after they blitzed the NL last season.

"Also how do you know if those injured guys played they would have played better than the backups during the same period, you are just speculating."

because we're not talking about scrubs...Carpenter and Votto for 2 months...not a week here and there. D. Wright, McClouth, Span, N. Cruz, I really don't want to get into a discussion on VORP with you.

"I really just wanted to point out the best team in the league got hosed on a one week playoff system."

well he didn't get "hosed". Hosed would be having 15 IP and having your last SP's start rained out forcing you to punt all P cats for the week, or having the final week come down to one of us facing a dead team and one of us facing Krems or Cubby or one of the other playoff teams for a decided advantage. I don't know how one gets "hosed" on an even 7 day match-up. It was abundantly clear that across the board in both match-ups and equating the season averages to said actual match-up outcomes it was what it should have been. EVEN. As for regular season records...if you want to get into semantics, Artist faced 3 of the dead teams twice while I faced each once. You were one of the better teams, and I faced you twice, he faced you once, but that evens out because he faced DigDug twice and he faced me only once. We each faced Cubby twice. Better regular season record or not, I still think we were about as even as you can get considering we were coming from two different approaches at least on the P side. Artist had a slight advantage on the offensive side and I had an advantage on the P side. It's pretty simple that it will generally equal an even match-up if the season averages are true to form... which you know, putting aside the flawed final score, it did. I just happened to come out on top this time, and like I said, 10 match-ups would likely end with a 5-5 record. And to be clear, I'm not even saying that the two of us were the two best teams because honestly Krems' squad is pretty strong too. In fact I'll bet he's going to kill me in most offensive cats this week especially after the ridiculous line he's putting up tonight....485/.585/.636 to start the week.

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Lanemeyer in the lead with one day to go. Can he hang on? Stay tuned.
    (Andd thanx for the mention in the previous post)

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    Well it was a fun season and congrats to our winner LaneMyers85

the final standing are as follows...

*1. LaneMyer85
    *2. krems
    *3. artistlost
    *4. Morgoth
    *5. Cubby's Crew
    *6. digdug
    7. kidzfund
    8. BannedByPSAagain
    9. jeffcbay
    10. BigRedMachine
    11. jswieton
    12. Buffalo Bison hockey
    13. mknez
    14. Corvette1340
    15. PSA 11's
    16. lsutigers1973

So... if the first and second place finishers can please PM me your Paypal address I will get your winnings to you this week.

Thanks to all that played and here's to next year!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    LSU, i feel for ya man. Last place!