Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An honest investment outlook for the UHR

Are we looking at the Fad of 2009? In 10 years will this be going for melt? Or is this something that will be 4k by 2011.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Depends how many they mint and how many people want to buy one in 2011.
  • Options
    BithrateBithrate Posts: 555 ✭✭
    I was wondering how many people out there might have FS eligible coins that haven't been submitted yet. Basically, how far off are the pop reports on the FS coins? I'm interested in seeing what the pops down the line are for FS vs non-FS UHRs. Just thinkin out loud... image
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they will be a good investment but I am selling them like they are going to be a bad investment. I don't have enough $$ to keep them long term.
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    I'm flipping them as quickly as I get them. So while the market isn't as bang-a-gong as some vest pocket dealers/collectors were hoping, they are still moving quite easily. Biggest problem I see with them is that they just didn't turn out as pretty in hand as most people hoped for.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins aren't an investment.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    neither is stocks, or anything associated with it lol
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i> they just didn't turn out as pretty in hand as most people hoped for. >>

I agree with that. They're neat but I would have really liked to see a deep cameo proof coin followed by a series of the smaller denominations. I think that would have been cool as heck.

Oh, and it would have been nice if the dayum thing would have been made 100% in the US. I remember making fun of my inlaws countries currency which was apparently made in Singapore. Here we are a couple years later and I'm now listening to the same sound, cept in reverse image
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO... you wont have to wait 10 years for them to be at melt.... I think I see that coming within 1-2 years!

I have already advised all my clients to "sell"
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold mine for $1,325....I made a $136 profit.image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

That's a high relief.
  • Options
    I think if the mint can maintain their high state of incompetence and inflation takes hold it might be a good long term investment. I think if the production reaches more than 75K this coin will be generic for a long time- not even a proof.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin. And I don't agree it doesn't look gorgeous in hand. I have a number of modern golds, silvers and platinums and I think the UHR is the best looking of all.

The Mint was creative with the UHR's proportions and dished shape, retro with a beloved design, and the final quality is better than ever. Who cares if it changes in value a little either way? Let's go back to talking about coins we love. How can you not love the UHR?
    Lance.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    The coin is very very popular. If it is more popular than the 06 buffalo, then there won't be enough to go around long term. Many will go into hope chests and sDBs never to be seen again. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Coins aren't an investment. >>

Sure...
  • Options
    Considering teh problems the Mint has had obtaining planchets (and don't think that the Perth Mint might not have its problems too), there's an outside chance that the US Mint might just pull the rug from under this issue, and curtail production early.

Something to ponder................

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Been a better investment than stocks and most mutual funds.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mid term outlook for gold shows a possible low of $680 before the next outbreak. Think I'll buy pick up some more of them at that time.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm keeping my two ungraded (though FS qualified) just for the coolness factor.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Mint sales have plunged......................................................................................

____________________ ____________________________
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>Are we looking at the Fad of 2009? In 10 years will this be going for melt? Or is this something that will be 4k by 2011. >>

These will never go for melt, but if gold decreases they will sell for less than issue. For the $4k figure, well time will tell and no one can know. Right now the mint is canceliing orderes for those of us who already ordered one and got one. That, to me, spell shortage but there is quite a bit of time left in 09. Will they get more blanks? Will they get 100K out the door? These are being well dispersed so the hand are generally tight, i.e. they are already with the collector that wants them. First strikes should do well, the first shipment which was a fraction of what was ordered all did not get shipped in teh FS deadline time frame.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm keeping my two ungraded (though FS qualified) just for the coolness factor. >>

If, for resale value later, or any other reason, 1st strike means something to you, then get them graded. You can always pop them out later.
    If they get opened, for some reason, you won't get 1st strike.

That's how I look at it, at least. It's like 4-5 hands at blackjack (~$100) to do it. If it doesn't pan out, or you crack it later, then you "lost" $100.
    If it works though, then you gain.

That's even for items that one wants to keep.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The mid term outlook for gold shows a possible low of $680 before the next outbreak. Think I'll buy pick up some more of them at that time. >>

Good luck with that. If you really believe that I'll contract for some at $750 and give you 6 months to deliver. --Jerry
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    IMO as long as the mint keeps it a one-year type coin, it will do well (don't think the palladium version will hurt it). Once all that can be flipped are flipped, and folks that want them in their collection have them, they will go up but not ridiculously. For those buying @ 3 or 4k now they shouldn't expect a profit in their life time. Supply and demand. The demand outside the US could help that effort too.

As for going for just above melt, you have to ask yourself would anybody sell this for less than the lowest price these sold for from the mint (or the price they paid for it)? Sure someone down on their luck might, but not the majority. If someone is getting these just over spot now, I could see that happening. If (when) gold goes low again, say 300 bucks, I'll gladly take as many of these off anyones hands that want to sell just over spot! image
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    In the previous post, I forgot to post the message body. What a clown...This might be a sign of the content quality to come....

I had my UHR in hand for 2 hours after it was delivered before I packed it up for shipping the following day to acquire my First Strike post mark on the last day allowable. The coin was a real beauty. The weight of it for it's size and the depth of the design was amazing. Under my microscope, it was much like a piece of sculpture. I think it will be a winner like the 2001 Buffalo Silver Dollars, where the demand for the coin will outstrip the supply. I have been known to sell a few coins in my time. This one won't be one that I will sell. This one will be in the group of coins for my children, God willing. Now, if the Mint's previous troubles with planchet procurement return, who knows what can happen? HM
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The mid term outlook for gold shows a possible low of $680 before the next outbreak. Think I'll buy pick up some more of them at that time. >>

Good luck with that. If you really believe that I'll contract for some at $750 and give you 6 months to deliver. --Jerry >>

How's it doing this morning?

• Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Just fantastic coins, I really liked them. I did sell all the ones I got. Only because of quick profit. I will however be buying another raw coin to keep. They really are nice coins!
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i vote the title of this thread to be the most humorous of the week.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin. I don't think it'll be a major coup in terms of an investment vehicle, but it'll never be trash, either.

I'm tempted to get a 2nd example, simply because I think that they are pretty cool.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    honestly- isn't it just pretty bullion.
    I am satisfied to have pretty bullion.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold made a double top at over 1000

the uptick rule is coming back, so equity markets will rise (as they have)

Gold is a dead issue now until the next natural disaster (which IS coming)
  • Options
    DeloreanDelorean Posts: 470 ✭✭✭

Chuck,

Ever Onward
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    The value of the UHR will be like all else, based on supply and demand.

At this point we have been told the mint will only make them for a year and they are not shipping to keep up with orders, at least not yet. Given the problems of getting enough physical gold in the right planchets, I think the run of these over a one year period could turn out to be lower than many might anticipate.

Demand for these I expect to be fairly strong and steady. I don't really consider the UHR a "coin" in the true sense of the word as it really isn't being released in any form as a circulating coin of the realm. Others may well choose to disagree with me. If you look at the popularity of the St. Gaudens design over time, I think the demand will stay strong for the UHR for a long time to come. I have no predictions on pricing as my crystal ball is very foggy at the moment.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Gold just bounced off 885, sitting at 939 as i type. Absolute rocket...
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I was flipping through the channels on my tv, when I came across HSN shopping channel where they were selling the UHR's graded ANACS SF 70 for $2,999! What a deal! image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good luck with that. If you really believe that I'll contract for some at $750 and give you 6 months to deliver. --Jerry >>

image >>

And how about this afternoon! image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>As for going for just above melt, you have to ask yourself would anybody sell this for less than the lowest price these sold for from the mint (or the price they paid for it)? Sure someone down on their luck might, but not the majority.<<

Check out the history of the 1984-88 gold commems. Olympic $5 and $10, Statue of Liberty $5 and Constitution $5 (both proof and uncirculated) were all available for melt several years ago when gold was around $300 to $350. They had initially been sold to collectors by the Mint at much higher prices.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

And how about this afternoon! image >>

How's that for picking the daily bottom! image

• Options
    How good an investment? Which UHR are we talking about - with the bellybutton or without?
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    10 years for melt? Heck I bet 10 months for non 70s.................
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Now post the rest of this chart.....gold c;osed UP $30 DOLLARS! And I still don't care.

I hope you ALL flip your coins to real collectors who can appreciate the magnificance of this coin. When I was at the Smithsonian with some of the most prominent people in numismatics and we had every great coin made in our hand, NOT ONE had the unanimous rave that the original double planchet UHRs.

So carry on, blind men. Take the money and buy yourself some full step Jeffersom nickels. Se what they bring in 5 years! image
  • Options
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    Ok what coin do you see being more of a collector coin in 20 years. 1. 2006 20th Anniversary Gold eagle Rev Pr, 2. 2006 Gold Pr Gold Buffalo,3. 2009 UHR? Saintimage
    Brian
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was wondering how many people out there might have FS eligible coins that haven't been submitted yet. Basically, how far off are the pop reports on the FS coins? I'm interested in seeing what the pops down the line are for FS vs non-FS UHRs. Just thinkin out loud... image >>

I have two FS eligible coins in the sealed box. I'm waiting to see what happens. I'm sure that there are many others doing the same.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> they just didn't turn out as pretty in hand as most people hoped for. >>

I agree with that. They're neat but I would have really liked to see a deep cameo proof coin followed by a series of the smaller denominations. I think that would have been cool as heck.

Oh, and it would have been nice if the dayum thing would have been made 100% in the US. I remember making fun of my inlaws countries currency which was apparently made in Singapore. Here we are a couple years later and I'm now listening to the same sound, cept in reverse image >>

I think that they are very nice looking. I would have preferred a repro. of the full diameter 1907 UHR and not the smaller pattern that was released, although as I said I really like this coin.
  • Options

I think that those who cashed in on the many fantastic 2008 issues (plats, buffs., 08 w/07 rev, etc) would disagree and made the profits to prove it :-)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Now post the rest of this chart.....gold c;osed UP $30 DOLLARS! And I still don't care.

I hope you ALL flip your coins to real collectors who can appreciate the magnificance of this coin. When I was at the Smithsonian with some of the most prominent people in numismatics and we had every great coin made in our hand, NOT ONE had the unanimous rave that the original double planchet UHRs.

So carry on, blind men. Take the money and buy yourself some full step Jeffersom nickels. Se what they bring in 5 years! image >>

Rest of chart was posted, twice. image

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Hey, I got me a belly button,

wonder If I would slab a MS-70?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, I got me a belly button,

wonder If I would slab a MS-70? >>

Dont we all have belly button's?

Current fs pops,70-622,69-279,68-2.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

That chart looks like the typical dip to clear out those with speculative positions just before the real run up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file