Vehicle Driven By Donte Stallworth Hits And Kills Pedestrian

Comments

• Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    not good. hopefully he was sober.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad for the person and family.

<<< Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns as a free agent before last season but hardly played because he was hurt. He was due a $4.75 million signing bonus Friday. >>>

How you say "release" by Friday.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Donte is a SacTown guy. Went to Grant High (STATE CHAMPS this year) along with Onterrio Smith who had a short lived NFL career due to a variety of problems. A friend of mine is a cop who has long had a beat in their hood. He has always said Onterrio, even after signing an NFL contract, was hanging out with his boys on the street corners, rolling dice, etc.... He said Donte was a stand up guy, bought his mom a house, and seemed to live a clean life. I hope it's a true accident for Donte's sake.
  • Options
    BREAKING: Donte Stallworth Detained in Pedestrian's Death

Dbn_tiny by ChrisPokorny on Mar 14, 2009 12:53 PM EDT in General News Comment 48 comments

According to CBS4 in Florida, Cleveland Browns WR Donte Stallworth is being detained by police for questioning after accidentally running into a pedestrian with his car Saturday morning on the eastbound MacCarthur Causeway on Miami Beach.

According to the police report, the accident happened at the intersection of Fisher Island Drive and the MacCarthur Causeway. The Drive is where ferry access is provided to one of the most exclusive residences in America, Fisher Island.

The news comes just one day after Stallworth received a $4.75 million bonus from the Browns. Please refrain from unnecessary sarcasm when commenting on this article (i.e. don't say "now we have a good reason to cut him").

The OBR requested a comment from the team, but were not given a response.

UPDATE:

Stallworth was headed toward the beach when he hit Mario Reyes, 59, around 7 a.m., said Miami Beach police spokesman Juan Sanchez. The unidentified pedestrian was taken to a nearby trauma center, where he was pronounced dead about an hour later. Reyes was near a crosswalk but it's not clear if he was crossing legally.

Stallworth, 28, was cooperating and no charges have been filed, Sanchez said. Officers drew blood to test for drugs or alcohol, which is routine. Sanchez said results from the blood test could take anywhere from three days to three weeks.

Link (ESPN)
  • Options
    Hard to believe that some team would pay 4.75 million to a player with a situation like this who basically was a signing bust last season - then again, it is the Cleveland Browns.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Update: Reyes was leaving work when he died. At best, a claim under Florida's Wrongful Death Act. At worst, vehicular homicide.

/s/ JackWESQ

• Options

<< <i>Update: Reyes was leaving work when he died. At best, a claim under Florida's Wrongful Death Act. At worst, vehicular homicide.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

<<< 768.26 Litigation expenses.--Attorneys' fees and other expenses of litigation shall be paid by the personal representative and deducted from the awards to the survivors and the estate in proportion to the amounts awarded to them, but expenses incurred for the benefit of a particular survivor or the estate shall be paid from their awards. >>>

Yep - every trial lawyer with one of those full page ads in the Yellow Pages, is hoping for the phone call on this one.
  • Options
    Update: Video of Stallworth sobriety test. Also, there is a report that Stallworth drove his Bentley around a stopped vehicle to beat a red light. If true, that would make sense that there was a pedestrian in the crosswalk. Definitely not good for Stallworth.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Stallworth’s accident victim was ‘family man’
    By ANTONIO GONZALEZ, Associated Press Writer
    Mar 15, 3:07 pm EDT

AP - Mar 14, 2:40 pm EDT NFL Gallery MIAMI (AP)—Mario Reyes was a family man, a loving husband and father. He came to South Florida from Cuba as a teenager and became an overnight crane operator in Miami.

Still, his family said he couldn’t afford a car and was forced to take the bus to work. Saturday, police said he was killed when a Bentley driven by Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth collided with him on a causeway linking Miami and Miami Beach.

Reyes was headed to the bus stop.

“He spent all his free time with his family,” Reyes’ brother-in-law, Francisco Fajardo, told The Associated Press on Sunday. “He was on his way home.”

Reyes had worked all night at his job with the shipping company Bernuth Agencies, located just feet from the crash. The phone rang unanswered at the company on Sunday.

His family and co-workers said he had clocked out only minutes before the accident around 7 a.m.

“When the time came for him to leave, he grabbed his stuff and headed to the bus stop out front,” co-worker Renier Calana told The Miami Herald. She worked with Reyes unloading cargo containers from the Port of Miami.

“We could hear the impact,” she said. “We all ran out, and he was lying there unconscious in the middle.”

Reyes, 59, was near a crosswalk but it’s unclear if he was crossing legally. Police said Stallworth has not been charged and was cooperating with the investigation. Officers drew blood to test for drugs or alcohol, which is routine. Results from the test could take anywhere from three days to three weeks, authorities said.

While police were investigating the crash, Reyes was taken to a trauma center.

His family was notified after he arrived, told only that “there had been an accident.” Rushing to the hospital, they could only hope and pray for the best.

“When we got there, it was too late,” Fajardo said. “He was gone.”

As his family tells it, Reyes was like so many other Cuban-Americans in Miami.

He was born in Cuba and left the island as a teenager for a better life in the U.S. He couldn’t afford to go to college, and instead paid the bills by working numerous construction jobs.

Reyes was an avid baseball fan, particularly fond of the local Florida Marlins and his native country Cuba, which is competing in the World Baseball Classic tournament now. He often spoke of growing up in Cuba, and loved to tell stories of the “old days.”

Reyes leaves behind his wife of almost 20 years, Catalina, and the couple’s 15-year-old daughter, Daniela. They live in a southwest Miami home owned by Fajardo, which they share with his family.

Reyes’ wife and daughter were too distraught to speak Sunday.

“Our family is in shock,” Fajardo said. “They don’t really want to talk.”

Police would not say where Stallworth, 28, was coming from or where he was headed. A message seeking comment was left on the voicemail of his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. The Browns said in a statement they were aware of what happened but would not comment until the investigation is complete.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns as a free agent before last season but hardly played because he was hurt. He was scheduled to receive a $4.75 million signing bonus Friday.

Stallworth, who previously played for New England, Philadelphia and New Orleans, finished last season with just 17 catches for 170 yards. He was slowed all season by a nagging hamstring injury and made just seven starts for the Browns.

Stallworth had his best season with the Saints in 2005, when he made a career-high 70 receptions for 945 yards and seven touchdowns. He was drafted in the first round (No. 13 overall) by the Saints in 2002. Stallworth played college football at Tennessee.

• Options
    Update: Stallworth legally drunk at time of incident with a blood alcohol level of 0.12. The legal limit is 0.08. I tell ya, when it rains, it pours.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's all she wrote...
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    criminal prosecution (and likely plea bargain) and civil lawsuit (and possible out of court settlement) in his future...and deservedly so!
  • Options

<< <i>criminal prosecution (and likely plea bargain) and civil lawsuit (and possible out of court settlement) in his future...and deservedly so! >>

You got that exactly right.

All this because he seemed like he was in a "big hurry" to get to the beach - Such a waste.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    .14 at 7am!?

He was either completely plowed the night before or a raging alcoholic.

Or both.

Do that around here and you'll go to prison for roughly 7 years or so.
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    this wont turn out good.........
  • Options

<< <i>this wont turn out good......... >>

it already has not turned out well -- there's a dead guy because of this drunk driver.
  • Options
    Police: Stallworth says warned man before impact
    By CURT ANDERSON, AP Legal Affairs Writer
    Mar 25, 11:22 am EDT

AP - Mar 14, 2:40 pm EDT NFL Gallery MIAMI (AP)—Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth said he flashed his car’s headlights to warn a pedestrian before fatally striking the man in Miami Beach last month, according to a report released by police.

The report released Tuesday also said the pedestrian, 59-year-old Mario Reyes, wasn’t in a crosswalk when Stallworth’s Bentley hit him.

According to the report, Stallworth told officers he flashed his lights to try to warn Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after getting off work around 7:15 a.m. March 14.

Police said Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40 mph zone. They are investigating whether alcohol played a role in the accident. No charges have been filed against Stallworth pending the outcome of blood tests.

A police diagram shows that Reyes was hit in the far left lane of the six-lane MacArthur Causeway—not in a nearby crosswalk. Stallworth stopped a few feet away.

Police also released calls from three people who dialed 911 that morning.

The first, a woman, said, “There’s a man laying in the middle of the road.” The dispatcher asked for her location and a description of the victim.

Then the woman blurted: “He’s dead. He’s dead … He was just laying in the middle of the road. I think he’s dead.”

When the dispatcher asked what happened, the woman said, “I don’t know, I don’t know, he’s just lying in the middle of the road.”

None of the callers apparently witnessed the accident. One man, saying he was on his way to work, said he “heard a hit” and then saw Reyes lying in the roadway. A few moments later, a police officer arrived.

Stallworth’s attorney declined comment Tuesday but has said his client is cooperating with police. Stallworth last week released a statement saying he was “grief stricken” over the accident.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured most of the year. He was scheduled to receive a $4.75 million signing bonus the day before the accident. Before that, he played for New England, Philadelphia and New Orleans in the NFL and in college for Tennessee.

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>this wont turn out good......... >>

it already has not turned out well -- there's a dead guy because of this drunk driver. >>

Really though, he could have wound up dead whether Donte was drinking or not. Doing 50 in a 40 isn't real uncommon. A guy crossing a road in a hurry, not in a crosswalk, behind a parked car, is a good recipe for disaster. This will get blamed on the alcohol (maybe deservedly so), but it could have happened to anyone.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.14 at 7am!?

He was either completely plowed the night before or a raging alcoholic.

Or both.

Do that around here and you'll go to prison for roughly 7 years or so. >>

Goose, 7 years just for the DUI or for killing someone? Seems a little harsh if just for the DUI.
  • Options
    so he had time to flash his lights but not apply his brakes? Hmmm. And what does flashing one's lights mean in a driving situation? Typically, the flashing lights mean that driver is ceding the right of way. Because of the lack of witnesses, the story that is coming out is purely Stallworth's.
  • Options
    stallworth will be charged in the accident with DUI manslaughter.

link
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>stallworth will be charged in the accident with DUI manslaughter.

link >>

I try to tell people, especially younger people that one of the stupidest things you can do in life, is obviously drink and drive, but also speed and "rush" while driving.

He was in such a big hurry to get to the beach...what a waste...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>stallworth will be charged in the accident with DUI manslaughter.

link >>

I try to tell people, especially younger people that one of the stupidest things you can do in life, is obviously drink and drive, but also speed and "rush" while driving.

He was in such a big hurry to get to the beach...what a waste... >>

agreed. The loss of life was a waste too.
  • Options
    wow another aflete kills somebody wonder slap on the wrist this one will get.....
  • Options
    Don't drink and drive.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Joba just got fined $400 and got 9 months probation for his DUI. Fortunately, nobody was walking in front of his vehicle when he was driving drunk.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Surprised there aren't any comments here yet, but he gets 30 days in jail.

Seems rather light to me. You kill someone being an idiot and it only costs you a month?

I guess money can get you special treatment. I'm willing to bet the guy that killed Nick Adenhart +2 gets more than 30 days per person.
    Travis
  • Options
    My Uncle was in a collision, deemed his fault. A Grandmother died in that wreck. He will forever have that on his conscious, and it truely was an accident. Of course, there was no alcohol involved. The family did not press charges, as it would have ruined my uncles life in many ways. Maybe this family didnt want to ruin Stallworths life...

However, it does not seem at all right, for Stallworth to get 30 days in jail, for driving drunk, and killing someone. Mike Vick does 2 years for running a dog fighting ring? Our judicial system is a dang joke.2

I doubt this is done, I see no way a guy can only get 30 days for this. Something isnt right here...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Since I started this thread, I'll chime in.

<< <i>Seems rather light to me. You kill someone being an idiot and it only costs you a month? >>

It seems light BECAUSE IT IS LIGHT. A lot of us non-millionaires have the perception that the rich and famous operate under a different legal system. But I'm sad to admit that it is NOT perception. It is reality. The prosecutors know this. They could choose to prosecute an individual "to the fullest extent of the law." But if they choose to, they know they'll have a fight on their hands because these millionaire athletes essentially have unlimited resources. The defense attorney will file motion after motion in a effort to beat down the system. Moreover, the D.A., knows that a conviction (assuming they get one) will only be the beginning because an appeal is sure to follow. (More taxpayer dollars.) So what do they do? They take what they can get now.

I clerked for the L.A. District Attorney's office in law school. I learned a lot there. Unfortunately, 99% of the stuff I learned cannot be found in any law school classroom or any text book. For the everyday citizen, a DUI conviction (much less a DUI manslaughter) will run you no less than $10,000.00 in fees and penalties and visits to an alcohol treatment center/DUI facility once a week for 8 hours, every week, for an entire year. The person running the center will report to the judge whether you were in attendance or not. Miss one and the judge will not hesitate to "lay the hammer to you." Will Stallworth have to go through this? It does not look like he will. Though I did see that he has a lifetime suspension from holding a driver's license, and must serve two years' house arrest and eight years on probation.

Still pretty light for killing a human being.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, we will see how really sorry and remorseful he is when he gets picked up for a moving violation or impaired driving six months from now.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    He gets slapped on the wrist and the family gets paid....end of story...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>He gets slapped on the wrist and the family gets paid....end of story... >>

Exactly!

Plus I heard he also has 2 years of house arrest and 10 years of probation.
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Travis
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I had not heard about the house arrest. I wonder if he is allowed to live his house for his job!? That would require at least weekends out of town. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By all meens he did get off lightly in retrospect of killing someone, but he DID stop after he hit the person and DID call 911 and cooperated 100% with authorities, not to mention he came to a undisclosed financial settlement with the victims family. This is a situation where there was no malicious intent like the Vick situation and I would not be suprised if a "deal" was cut with the family as far as that financial settlement went too.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Dabeef the family has no say in the matter. It is the DA's choice on what happens.

Been there, done that.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

>....He gets slapped on the wrist and the family gets paid....end of story...<

Exactly.

Nothing will bring that guy back.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Have the jets or vikes signed him yet?

Kevin