Home Metal Detecting

Finding stuff in plain sight!

I'm not sure if this really counts, but the past two days I have found three coins just laying on the ground! While walking in Target yesterday, I spotted a cent laying on the ground-it turned out to be a 1947. It is the first time I've ever found a wheat cent laying on the ground.

Then today I took a day trip to Lake George. Something shiny caught my eye as I was walking, and it was a Canadian dime! I didn't look at the year of it-I was standing in the road, but it sure was very shiny, and then later I found a 1981 American cent laying on the ground at one of those quarter operated freestanding binoculars.

I guess I just want to participate in this forum, and my bad back prevents me from doing any digging. And hey I did detect them laying on the ground! image
Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    /Eyeball finds are accepted Billy... Cheers, RickO
  • You did better those 2 days than I have metal detecting all together image. Thats pretty interesting finding the wheaty on the ground. Maybe someone found it in their pocket and thought it was a fake cent so they tossed it.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my walk this morning I found 2 quarters, 1 nickel, 11 pennies, 2 golf balls and 131 cans. That is the most change that I have found for some time. Maybe it was some of the stimulus money working it's way down.
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Funny story,
    Some years ago I worked with a mason and he told me about a night out with his wife. He had parked the car alongside the curb and got out, walked around the car and was going to open the door for the lady only she had already opened the door and was on her way out when she lost her balance and to him it looked like she was going for something on the sidewalk. Well being the funny sort of guy he was he quickly spotted what he thought was a quarter and dove for it. Turned out it was pigeon poop. So he told her she could have it afterall.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I finally got a chance to check out that Canadian dime. It's a 2005 and has some circulation but no unusual marks. I estimate that it was dropped earlier that day!

I found a 1983 cent in the mall today image
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

• << <i>On my walk this morning I found 2 quarters, 1 nickel, 11 pennies, 2 golf balls and 131 cans. That is the most change that I have found for some time. Maybe it was some of the stimulus money working it's way down. >>

Where in the heck are you walking? That's a lot of cans just laying around!
    You don't see that many cans laying around here, as they are $.10 per can at the recyclers. We recycle our coke/sprite cans and water bottles (also $.10 per) every couple of weeks or so and get anywhere from $12 to $17 a trip.