Home Sports Talk
Options

I just got my new SI and read the Pujols article . . .

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
. . . . and if he is lying about PEDs, he sure is sticking his neck out there.

Count me as once who wants to believe him, as he seems to be a genuinely nice person -- probably one of the nicest persons anywhere.

If his fellow countryman Manny was 1/10 as nice, we would still be worshiping him in Boston.

Comments

• Options
    Just read the story as well, baseball needs a hero why not King Albert?
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about posting a thread about the article. Fandango started a thread about it in the main forum, but it went haywire immediately (shockingly). Man, I hope people don't lump me in. I really am a good guy. Pujols just happens to be my favorite player and he plays on my favorite team. I try not to get crazy about it.

Anyway, here is a link to the an article about the article.

Post Dispatch article - Believe In Me

Shane

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I also hope Pujols is clean. But we all believed ARod too. What worries me with Pujols is that elbow and the desire to keep playing and quick healing.
  • Options
    Pujols seems like a nice person.

He is asking to believe in him, and that is a nice gesture. Unfortunately, the MLB players association has done NOTHING to merit believing anythig that comes out of their mouths. It is a long road to try and get normal people to believe in them.

I think it would go a long way if Albert rode a crusade for REAL PED testing, and offered himself as the first sample of such testing. Then, I think he would get more to believe in him and others.

They need BLOOD testing on a regular basis, and they need to have their samples kept for later testing for the drugs that can't be detected yet. If Albert leads this crusade, then the believing can start.

Until then, it is the company line as usual, and all is fair in accusations.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His arms and upper torso in that SI article do not look to me like a user- however there is no way to tell if he had done them years ago.

Sorry but I dont believe any of these guys.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    It's sad but it seems like everyone guilty until proven innocent nowadays. I hope Pujols is clean but who really knows?
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    "It's sad but it seems like everyone guilty until proven innocent nowadays. I hope Pujols is clean but who really knows? "

Quite true,
    until MLB and the Player's Union agree to mandatory blood testing, and/or guys like Pujols volunteer for some testing, it is all speculation, we may suggest things, interpret performance swings, and guess at the truth, but again, we are merely speculating.

Nothing really new,
    HOF hurler from the 19 th century, James "Pud" Gallvin has been associated with possible PEDS use.
    Galvin is the first baseball player to be widely known for using performance enhancing drugs. In 1889, over 100 years before the current steroid controversy in Major League Baseball, Galvin openly used the Brown-Séquard elixir, which contained monkey testosterone.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Only time will tell about the PED or not.

They should just call for an amnesty date, and introduce a rigid testing schedule of the start of the season next year, and be done with it. They didn't make it illegal when the had the chance, so the court battles over lying under oath, etc, aren't solving anything about the issues with today's players.

Put them all in an international bike race, we'll call it the Tour of the MLB, and let the US Anti-doping Agency have a shot at the entire league. 2 year suspensions for anyone who comes up positive. That's the penalty in cycling, and they don't earn a fraction of what the MLB players do.

Pujols could offer up a personal anti-doping program for himself for a full year. Once per month plus randoms. He'd pass and that would be that. Lead by example and tell the union to stop protecting the cheaters. He'd be King Albert then. So much so, even Hank Aaron would say nice things about him when he hits #715.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    time to start thinking about the triple crown?

DUDE LOOKS LOOKED IN
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I have to say I still don't like you Fandango but your guy does look very locked in right now. A triple crown is certainly not out of the question right now. Good luck.

P.S. Just hope, for your sake, he isn't on the list when they finally release the list of all players who tested positive.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I'm much more concerned with his looming free agency and the club's apparent lack of commitment to winning. I'm almost resigned to the fact that we in St. Louis only have 2 more years to enjoy one of the game's greats.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly - what are these guys supposed to say? That "I'm on drugs" - of course they're gonna deny it and frankly if they get caught, most of them in the overall scheme of things, really don't give a chit because by then, they are so filthy rich...they already got what they wanted out of baseball - the money.

I agree with the opinion that Pujols is a juicer in some way, shape or form, and yes only time will tell, if he gets caught, or say if he keels over dead from some "rare disease" when he's in his 50's that was related to steroid use.
  • Options
    I dont know, IMO he is "next" to be outed. I hope not, I like the guy.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>Just read the story as well, baseball needs a hero why not King Albert? >>

Baseballs new hero in currently wearing #7 in Minnesota. image

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    Yawie,

there is no way in hell, Pujols wont sign with the Cards.....his home is there, his life is there....

he will give them a hometown discount and sign with them......where else is he gonna go? NEW YORK? NO WAY

stop worrying....it will be ok
  • Options

No comment at the present

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Triple crown?

isn't he hitting almost 40 points behind the league leader in batting?

When he gets within 5 points I'll get excited.

If anyone could hit for the triple crown it is Albert, however not sure how anyone could be thinking that now.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Morneau is much closer to the triple crown right now, that is until Mauer gets enough AB's to get his .430 avg in the mix..
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>image

No comment at the present >>

I will probably get laughed off the boards on this one, but don't they "photoshop" on those muscle magazine covers? I have NEVER seen Pujols arms that big, and I've watched 90% of his games since he has been in the league. If someone could produce another photo of his arms looking like that, then I will take back the above statement. Not trying to be an idiotic Pujols fan. I am just stating my observations and also repeating what I have heard about muscle magazines.

Here is another photo from before the muscle mag photo (the SI photo is after). His arms look normal here.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image

I will probably get laughed off the boards on this one, but don't they "photoshop" on those muscle magazine covers? I have NEVER seen Pujols arms that big, and I've watched 90% of his games since he has been in the league. If someone could produce another photo of his arms looking like that, then I will take back the above statement. Not trying to be an idiotic Pujols fan. I am just stating my observations and also repeating what I have heard about muscle magazines.

Here is another photo from before the muscle mag photo (the SI photo is after). His arms look normal here.

image >>

Good point, but I don't think it is photoshopped. Many of these covershots fall victim to airbrushing, etc. to enhance lightning and muscle tones, but it hard to photoshop larger muscles onto an individual without avid readers finding out quickly. And when you have a magazine industry that already has a shaky reputation (Pro bodybuilder: "I took this OTC supplement, and lost 40 pounds in 2 months and my arms are now 20"!!!" Thank you steroids....ummmm I mean Mr. Supplement guy who pays me to say this"), any sort of photoshop will mean disaster.

Anyway, I love Pujols, not just for what he does as a player, but as a human being - and this coming from a Cubs fan. And for those of you who have known me on these boards for a long time know my stance on steroids and the associated medical benefits and consequent lower healthcare expenses in this country if taken by a responsible and motivated adult under strict doctor's supervision. I also do not believe that the players on roids were cheating - they were seeking a competitive advantage with advanced medicine and knowledge that was not available to players of past generations. What bothers me is the fact that many of these arrogant players took us for idiots by outright lying to us.

Having said that, Albert has some huge arms. On the muscle cover, he is clearly flexing (check out his fore-arm), so his arm appears bigger. Also, he seems to be "in season" in this shot while he is "off season" in the other. Also, you can't compare the two as they are different shots all together. The cover shot focuses on his arm and not his chest...which appears smaller than in your picture. Overall, he definitely seems bigger than his most recent shot on the cover of SI.

Once again, even if Albert was on the list of players, I wouldn't care.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image

image >>

Yes, they do alter pics for these muscle magazines to attract more meat heads. It is well known that this stuff occurs in the industry. Some even use body doubles for magazine covers, and just place the celeb's head on the body in the mystic world of Hollywood stars..

As someone who has volunteered at Pujols Family Foundation events, and had interaction up close with Albert, during the season, and the off season, such as the Christmas event that the Pujols Family Foundation puts on, never has Albert had arms like that muscle and fitness mag shows him to have. Clearly, they were photoshopped, airbrushed, or something to that effect to enhance the pics. Heck, if you look at the M&F mag cover, Pujols face does not even look accurate as to what Pujols appearance is in person, or on his baseball cards/team photos/MLB photos.

Pujols was photo'ed and put on the cover of Muscle & Fitness in the spring of 2007, and here is evidence/unaltered pics of how Pujols accurately looked at his hitting clinic that offseason/same time frame right before the M & F cover. Look at all the pics of Pujols in a sleeveless shirt. Clearly, Pujols is not someone jacked up like the M & F mag shows.

Pujols hitting clinic from same time period as fitness mag cover

* Edited to add that my research shows that Pujols was photographed for Muscle and Fitness mag cover in late Feb. 2007, and the Pujols hitting clinic is put on every Feb. right before Pujols heads to Florida for Spring Training.

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I hope you're right, fandango, but I think you're overlooking the fact - or at least the common perception - that the suits behind the organization would rather squeeze every dime out of the franchise than field a championship-caliber club. I agree that money is probably not Pujols' No. 1 priority, but the guy clearly wants to win. If that possibility becomes increasingly remote, I can see him leaving for one of the win-at-any-cost clubs.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    There is a reason people who aim a camera and press the button earn a lot of money doing something that seems like it could be done for $8 per hour
    Tom
  • Options
    They are related to the boss?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Pujols is really tearing it up!

Through 69 games:

Batting .329, 26 homeruns, 68 RBI's, .448 on base %, and a .722 slugging %, on a team with a less than stellar lineup around him. I can only imagine what he could do with a good bat protecting him in the lineup. He is the biggest reason the Cards are in 1st place in the NL Central right now.

Pujols has been to bat 4 times this season with the bases loaded, and has 3 Grand Slams, a double, and 14 RBI's. Just amazing..

Looks like he is well on his way towards another NL MVP award. image
  • Options
    Looks to me like the HGH is working.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Another example of airbrushing and/or PhotoShoppin':

Nate Marquardt
    imageRIP
  • Options

<< <i>Looks to me like the HGH is working.

Steve >>

21,680 posts of "I have no life". Right on que.... image
  • Options

<< <i>Looks to me like the HGH is working.

Steve >>

Why is he bald, then? HGH promotes hair growth. Sorry, I usually try to stay out of these debates, but I had to throw that in there.

Shane

• Options
    I'm only going by what you once told me STTM, now if you want to change your story I'm fine with it.

I'd have the proof of my allegation but I deleted it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    "I have no life". Right on que...

Yeah yours is so much better....must be tuff going around as a known liar.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I'll be leaving now, I'll check back later to read whatever lie you decide to spew.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Someone apparently has no life outside of this board, and is just needing attention by trying to wreck the thread and start a fight.

Anyways, Pujols is a heck of a hitter, and I sure do enjoy watching him play.
  • Options
    I am genuinely impressed by Pujols' numbers and have no clue if he is on the juice. I would like to root for him and like to hope he is not on the juice. However, coming on here to the lunatics like STM and Fanatical is so annoying. Just root for your player like a normal human rather than worshiping everything about him and we would all get along so much better. STM has to be the most defensive player supporter in the history of the world. You say anything negative and that guy writes a book in defense of his demi-god. Frankhardy is clearly a big Pujols fan but he doesn't go so overboard. Try acting like him and people wouldn't dislike you so much. I should add that Fanatical, and his alter egos, seem to have toned it down a little lately on the Pujols thing or have I missed him posting crazy threads!? Or maybe he is just too busy worshiping at his Pujols shrine that he built in his house!?
  • Options
    (I hope this post isn't misunderstood).

This isn't a "wise guy" question, but I would just like to know - is it not possible for a player to just be a great hitter? He has the most level swing and the most plate discipline of any player I've ever seen. PED's can't do that. He is on pace for 61 HR this year. I doubt he will keep up that pace, but let's just say for instance that he does and challenges Roger Maris. I understand that in this day and age that it is natural to be skeptical. Roger Maris hit 61 HR in 1961. Does that mean he was on PED's? No. Is it not possible for someone with the plate discipline of Pujols to hit like he is hitting without being on PED's?

You have two extremes to this. You have the side that says that Pujols is a god and there is no way on earth that he is taking PED's. Then you have the other side that say that just because he hits like he does that he HAS TO BE ON PED'S and they dismiss everything he does. Believe it or not, I am neither. Though he is my favorite player on my favorite team, I try to be objective. I can't say for sure that he has not taken anything. However, I do lean that way for several reasons.

One of the main reasons is that, along with myself, he is a professing Christian. Yes, I know and realize that there are many, many hypocrites out there. However, I have heard him interviewed so many times, and nearly every time he is interviewed, he talks about his faith in Jesus Christ. He has a great marriage with his wife, Diedre. He does not even drink alcohol. I have heard him and his wife many times talk about their testimony and reputation and how he would never put anything like PED's in his body - for one reason he says, "Because my wife would kill me".

He has remained remarkably consistent for 9 years and his body type has not changed much at all (if any). I just happen to think that we have a once in a generation type player. Is that type of thinking far fetched? Decide for yourself.

I do think that one thing is a fact. Albert Pujols is the last chance for this decade to produce an all time great that is clean. If it ever comes out that he has taken PED's, then my opinion is that people's opinion of PED's need to change. I am not so sure that opinion's shouldn't change anyway, but that is another subject entirely.

All of this is just my opinion based on my observations. I could be wrong. I try to not be blind about this realizing that it is possible. For the sake of the game of baseball, I hope I am not wrong.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Frankhardy is clearly a big Pujols fan but he doesn't go so overboard. Try acting like him and people wouldn't dislike you so much. >>

Thank you! I really do appreciate those words.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>I am genuinely impressed by Pujols' numbers and have no clue if he is on the juice. I would like to root for him and like to hope he is not on the juice. However, coming on here to the lunatics like STM and Fanatical is so annoying. Just root for your player like a normal human rather than worshiping everything about him and we would all get along so much better. STM has to be the most defensive player supporter in the history of the world. You say anything negative and that guy writes a book in defense of his demi-god. Frankhardy is clearly a big Pujols fan but he doesn't go so overboard. Try acting like him and people wouldn't dislike you so much. I should add that Fanatical, and his alter egos, seem to have toned it down a little lately on the Pujols thing or have I missed him posting crazy threads!? Or maybe he is just too busy worshiping at his Pujols shrine that he built in his house!? >>

You come in here and call people lunatics, and expect nothing to come of that? What the heck, Larry? I do nothing more than frankhardy does, and you come with this nonsense all over again?

Let's be 100% clear, I don't worship Pujols or any other player/man. Never have, never will. Pujols is a great player who I respect and enjoy watching play, and that is the extent of my feelings. Period.

Comments like you made in this thread are just more of the juvenile garbage you guys come with when you want to take shots at people you don't like. Some just look for silly reasons to get it going. Just like your comments, Larry. How about you give your obsession with some of us a rest, because that seems to be more weird than anything else at this point.
  • Options

<< <i>(I hope this post isn't misunderstood).

This isn't a "wise guy" question, but I would just like to know - is it not possible for a player to just be a great hitter? He has the most level swing and the most plate discipline of any player I've ever seen. PED's can't do that. He is on pace for 61 HR this year. I doubt he will keep up that pace, but let's just say for instance that he does and challenges Roger Maris. I understand that in this day and age that it is natural to be skeptical. Roger Maris hit 61 HR in 1961. Does that mean he was on PED's? No. Is it not possible for someone with the plate discipline of Pujols to hit like he is hitting without being on PED's?

You have two extremes to this. You have the side that says that Pujols is a god and there is no way on earth that he is taking PED's. Then you have the other side that say that just because he hits like he does that he HAS TO BE ON PED'S and they dismiss everything he does. Believe it or not, I am neither. Though he is my favorite player on my favorite team, I try to be objective. I can't say for sure that he has not taken anything. However, I do lean that way for several reasons.

One of the main reasons is that, along with myself, he is a professing Christian. Yes, I know and realize that there are many, many hypocrites out there. However, I have heard him interviewed so many times, and nearly every time he is interviewed, he talks about his faith in Jesus Christ. He has a great marriage with his wife, Diedre. He does not even drink alcohol. I have heard him and his wife many times talk about their testimony and reputation and how he would never put anything like PED's in his body - for one reason he says, "Because my wife would kill me".

He has remained remarkably consistent for 9 years and his body type has not changed much at all (if any). I just happen to think that we have a once in a generation type player. Is that type of thinking far fetched? Decide for yourself.

I do think that one thing is a fact. Albert Pujols is the last chance for this decade to produce an all time great that is clean. If it ever comes out that he has taken PED's, then my opinion is that people's opinion of PED's need to change. I am not so sure that opinion's shouldn't change anyway, but that is another subject entirely.

All of this is just my opinion based on my observations. I could be wrong. I try to not be blind about this realizing that it is possible. For the sake of the game of baseball, I hope I am not wrong. >>

Shane,

What you stated above is in a nutshell all I have said on this board for quite some time, and that is considered luntic by some folks who just want to start nonsense over nothing.

Either way, I will enjoy what I am watching in St. Louis, because hitters like Pujols come around maybe once a lifetime.
  • Options
    Maybe so. I just try to be more delicate about it and try to refrain from name calling. Yes, I will try to make a point every once in a while, but I refused to get in a big fight over it.

Another reason I hope that he isn't on PED's is that my game used gloves and the few autographs that I have will drop in value! image

Shane

• Options
    because that seems to be more weird than anything else at this point.

You are right STM, I am the weird one here. image
  • Options
    STTM I was wrong earlier you did not say HGH you said PED's.

Sorry about the mixup.

Steve
    Good for you.